Two tiny quality of life requests

Aplato

I'm still learning the CRJ and struggling with managing my speeds, but I'm greatly enjoying the process and am quite impressed with it so far. With that said, there are two extremely minor things that I'd love to see changed which would eliminate a couple of annoyances:

1. The dial to adjust the DH is brutally slow. I just timed myself and it took 25 seconds to set a DH of 200 ft. Interestingly, this moves reasonably quickly if MDA is selected instead so hopefully this is an easy change.

2. I find setting the landing elevation to be extremely awkward and I always forget to pop out the display first so I can see the value I'm setting while looking at the overhead panel. I would love it if a click spot was added to the screw to the left of the LDG ELEV dial that would pop up this window. I know it's not "realistic", but a similar thing was added to another screw which does the same as clicking the little button on the side of the throttle handle.

Thanks for your consideration!

• Deputy Sheriffs

For landing altitude setting on the cabin pressure control panel, it can help to know it will start at sea level (0) and increase 20' for each click, hesitating a moment between each one. I just count them up (20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120...) and then verify on the right hand EICAS

vor 9 Minuten, Herman sagte:

For landing altitude setting on the cabin pressure control panel, it can help to know it will start at sea level (0) and increase 20' for each click, hesitating a moment between each one. I just count them up (20, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120...) and then verify on the right hand EICAS

Hermann, that works nicely for airports at a lower airport altitudes, but imagine airports at 4000ft + 😉

Oliver

• Deputy Sheriffs

Then simply do several quick turns (which are picked up as accelerated and so increase the reading more quickly), check where you are, more quick ones as needed 'till you're close, then zero in with slow ones

Or, try the default Ctrl+2. Ctrl+2 again to return to your previous view.

Or, set up a custom camera view using Ctrl+Alt+your favorite number for your preferred view of the cabin pressure control panel, then use Alt+that number to see it. Use that key combo again and you'll toggle back to your previous view.

It may not be exactly what you're wishing for, but give it a try and see if it helps.

9 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Hold down the left shift key on your keyboard while rotating the DA/MDA knob, and you’ll find it increases much faster.

Excellent, I will give that a try! Curious that it's just this one knob in particular that's so slow, but that's an easy enough workaround if what you said is true.

9 hours ago, Aplato said:

Excellent, I will give that a try! Curious that it's just this one knob in particular that's so slow, but that's an easy enough workaround if what you said is true.

I have not tried doing this since version 1.5.0.8 of MSFS came out last week. One fix in the new MSFS version was to correct unwanted control acceleration caused by “always on” switches on controllers like the Honeycomb yoke. Hopefully that did not nullify the ability to speed up the MDA knob by holding down the left shift key!

I can confirm that holding shift does make that DH knob much less painful to use. Thanks for that!

I maintain my request to add a click spot to that screw to make it easier to enter the landing elevation, but I realize that is incredibly minor. I hope it's considered, but I won't be at all put off if it's rejected.

10 minutes ago, Aplato said:

I can confirm that holding shift does make that DH knob much less painful to use. Thanks for that!

I maintain my request to add a click spot to that screw to make it easier to enter the landing elevation, but I realize that is incredibly minor. I hope it's considered, but I won't be at all put off if it's rejected.

AFAIK in MSFS, it is not possible to generate an ad hoc tool tip attached to a specific control as can be done in P3D. MSFS tool tips in general are disabled in the CRJ because they are huge, ugly and intrusive, as you will have seen if you have flown any of the default aircraft. At the moment popping up an enlarged MFD status display using right ALT + mouse click is the best solution, since that display will remain in view when going to the overhead panel to adjust landing elevation.

2 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

AFAIK in MSFS, it is not possible to generate an ad hoc tool tip attached to a specific control as can be done in P3D. MSFS tool tips in general are disabled in the CRJ because they are huge, ugly and intrusive, as you will have seen if you have flown any of the default aircraft. At the moment popping up an enlarged MFD status display using right ALT + mouse click is the best solution, since that display will remain in view when going to the overhead panel to adjust landing elevation.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this -- I was just talking about making a screw clickable to pop up the MDF in an external window in the same way that ALT+click does. I thought this might be a decent solution because another screw was made clickable to trigger TOGA mode which you can see at 17:35 of The Dude's tutorial video. I agree that it wouldn't look good to try to display information like this in a tooltip.

9 hours ago, Aplato said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear on this -- I was just talking about making a screw clickable to pop up the MDF in an external window in the same way that ALT+click does. I thought this might be a decent solution because another screw was made clickable to trigger TOGA mode which you can see at 17:35 of The Dude's tutorial video. I agree that it wouldn't look good to try to display information like this in a tooltip.

I will ask if that can be done. Not sure if it is possible.

• 1 month later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

No response in over a month.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived