Query regarding Extended DSF turning ON and OFF

TinkerNZ

Hi,
Longtime user of this most excellent plugin. Couldn't do without it for use with my XP11 setup.
Recently found that with extended DSFs turned OFF I am gaining substantial frames (about 10 -15) , however tuning this OFF doesn't get saved.
So each time I start or re-start XP it reverts back to ON and I manually have to turn it OFF again which of course triggers yet another scenery reload. A bit of a hassle and time waster.

Is there a problem with my installed copy of FTU or is there a way to keep it set to OFF so when XP starts it is loaded correctly with extended DSFs turned OFF?

Thanks in advance.  TinkerNZ

• Developer

The extended DSFs setting can't be saved because it needs a scenery reload after changing the DataRef value - simple saving and restoring it has no effect at all and this is why it's not saved in FTU. Technically this is all fine.

If you want to switch off the extended DSFs permanently please use the settings.txt file and add some lines to it, for simplification I will attach a modified settings.txt file to this post. The file is prepared to be used with JSGME so if you have this tool installed you can extract the folder "Disable_Extended_DSFs" into your "MODS" folder an then enable or disable it with the JSGME tool. If you are not using the tool copy the "Resources" folder into your X-Plane root folder and confirm overwriting (if you want to get back the original settings.txt file you have to run the XP installer and search for updates).

Disable_Extended_DSFs.zip

JSGME can be found here (sadly it's Windows only):

JSGME Download - FlyAgi.de

Thank you for the response Agi,

I installed the JSGME tool and added the mod, activated it and found it didn't do anything to change the XP settings file.

Manual install of your settings.txt did result in permanently turning off extended DSFs, so that great.

Just wondering why the tool is not doing what it is supposed to do. I am not getting any errors when activating the MOD so I'm assuming it is working, but apparently not.

Any ideas?

• Developer

Most likely you have put the wrong folder into the mods folder, maybe by unpacking the zip into a new folder? The mods for JSGME have to use the original path as it's found in X-Plane. If you set up the mod correctly you should have a file structure exactly like this for the JSGME mod (assuming the JSGME tool is located in the folder X-Plane 11):

X-Plane 11\MODS\Disable_Extended_DSFs\Resources\settings.txt

If there is another folder because of unzipping into a new folder the file structure is messed up and the file installs into the wrong path, not replacing the original one.

Thank you. All working good now.

I had the tool still in the JSGME folder which I placed in the XP root dir and now that I have removed that and placing the app directly in the root of XP and the MOD folder also everything works as intended.

Thanks again

TinkerNZ

Archived