CRJ not capturing glide slope after WU4

13 minutes ago, CanadianStig said:

I think it has been a problem even before the update. 

1.0.0.1 kinda just broke the ILS and G/S

no they fixed it by adding their own custom GS in the update aerosoft put out for it but this time the GS doesn't even capture like when it was broken.

I haven't been able to capture a GS since 1.0.0.1. It hasn't worked a single time. It'll capture initially and look like everything is good but by the time I'm getting close to the FAF I'm at about half-scale deflection and then shortly after the FAF I'm heading right into the ground. I've tried between 15-20 ILSs. I've since given up and I just fly non-precision approaches for now. 

vor 20 Stunden , Chaxterium sagte:

and I just fly non-precision approaches for no

Why not fly ILS approaches manually? It‘s such a basic skill - should be practiced as often as possible, imo.

In RL, the ability to „fly the needles“ is an essential part of every simulator check ride, and a basic requirement of any airline.

Besides, it‘s a really nice challenge in the CRJ: no AT, no AP... 🙂 

2 hours ago, StanTGM said:

Why not fly ILS approaches manually? It‘s such a basic skill - should be practiced as often as possible, imo.

In RL, the ability to „fly the needles“ is an essential part of every simulator check ride, and a basic requirement of any airline.

Besides, it‘s a really nice challenge in the CRJ: no AT, no AP... 🙂 

Your heart is in the right place but I really don't like this mentality. You're completely missing the point. I didn't spend $75 on this plane to practice hand-flown approaches. It should be able to fly an ILS. End of story. What if I want to try some CAT II or CAT III approaches? Those are required to be flown using the autopilot until visual contact is made or until a go around is initiated. I would be a bit more understanding if something like VNAV didn't work. But an autopilot being able to fly an ILS properly is one of the most basic things you would expect an autopilot to be able to do.

Further to that, "flying the needles" is not an essential part of all simulator check rides. In Canada for example, there is no requirement to demonstrate a hand flown approach on a 705 check ride. And besides, I didn't purchase this plane to fly check rides all day.

I'm sure Aerosoft is working on it and I'm confident they'll fix it but this is a big deal and needs to be fixed. There's no justification for the plane not being able to fly an ILS. As it stands it can't even maintain a constant descent rate in VS mode once the flaps are extended to 45° which is how SCDA approaches are flown. So currently the plane can't fly any approaches using the autopilot. Simply not acceptable. 

Again, I'm sure they're working on it and I'm happy to wait until a fix is found because the plane is fantastic in pretty much every other way.

Considering the fact that Aerosoft has supposedly been working closely with Asobo both during and after release of the CRJ, I would expect little to no issues involving MSFS2020 updates. Unfortunately that does not seem to be the case. I too believe the AP issues will be ironed out eventually, but major issues like this should never have gotten this far.

On 20.4.2021 at 18:46, Chaxterium sagte:

I really don't like this mentality. You're completely missing the point.

I don‘t think I’m missing any point, and please, let‘s not discuss mentality issues here (neither yours nor mine 🙂).

In the end I guess we all agree that the AP needs to be fixed, the earlier the better. We also agree that Aerosoft is probably working overtime on the this. The point I actually tried to make was that - until a fix arrives - I try to put the waiting time to good use. For me (really, speaking strictly for me), that is „flying the needles“ and honing my skills. Will I use the AP once it works as it should? You bet...!

(just finished a flight into Orland, Norway, hoping against hope for the AP to do its job, at least halfway through final approach. It failed miserably and I just barely avoided disaster - should have stayed in control, flying the whole thing by hand...)

1 hour ago, StanTGM said:

let‘s not discuss mentality issues here (neither yours nor mine 🙂).

When I used the word 'mentality' I simply meant "way of thinking". It is not meant as a pejorative term in any way whatsoever. I hope you didn't take offence as that was certainly not my intention.

I was under the impression that you meant that flying manually was acceptable as a permanent solution. As a temporary solution I agree, it's fine and forces us to brush up on our manual flying skills. As long as there's a solution forthcoming then I'm happy. From what I've read it seems as though this is one of their top issues so that's definitely encouraging.

What is Aerosoft's latest status on this issue? I've been unable to lock to the glideslope in this aircraft since the initial update after the original release. I have no such issues with any of the other aircraft. 

On 4/20/2021 at 10:29 AM, flyingguitaristsam said:

I understand what you're saying, but I still think it's not a crazy request that the AP should be able to handle an ILS realistically

No, it's not.  Having said that, I've seen unsubstantiated rumors that it's going to be fixed in the next patch.  So here's to hoping that rumor is in fact a fact, and that it happens by the time the sun goes down on NYC today.  I suspect that the rumor is a fact, but not holding my breath about my proposed timetable.  

vor 22 Stunden , Chaxterium sagte:

I hope you didn't take offence

Don’t worry, no offence taken... 🙂

As a matter of fact, it put a smile on my face when I read your remark that compulsory check rides are not why you fire up MSFS, and I perfectly understand that. I, on the other hand - not being a commercial pilot - once spent a huge amount of money for the opportunity of spending an hour in a full motion 737NG simulator...

Did I not read somewhere Mathias (??) saying that it was a bug with MSFS2020 itself and that for now, that ILS glide slopes should be captured by flying a gentle descent, not from level?   Cannot remember where but I think that I read that for now, that this was the way to capture the glideslope.

Jerry

12 minutes ago, Jerry Tilley said:

Did I not read somewhere Mathias (??) saying that it was a bug with MSFS2020 itself and that for now, that ILS glide slopes should be captured by flying a gentle descent, not from level?   Cannot remember where but I think that I read that for now, that this was the way to capture the glideslope.

Jerry

That was from before the update. Before that the ILS worked the majority of the time but every now and then it would start an unexpected nosedive and apparently capturing the glideslope from a shallow descent helped prevent that. Since the update however that no longer works. The nosedive problem no longer occurs but now it simply can't maintain the glideslope at all for many people. Me being one of them. It's frustrating to say the least. It appears there's light at the end of the tunnel though.

On 4/24/2021 at 3:48 PM, Chaxterium said:

That was from before the update. Before that the ILS worked the majority of the time but every now and then it would start an unexpected nosedive and apparently capturing the glideslope from a shallow descent helped prevent that. Since the update however that no longer works. The nosedive problem no longer occurs but now it simply can't maintain the glideslope at all for many people. Me being one of them. It's frustrating to say the least. It appears there's light at the end of the tunnel though.

I fly with a Century III autopilot .... I am used to controlling the Vertical and let the AP do the Horizontal :).....  

"use vertical speed mode"

Meanwhile, vertical speed mode (FYI, had to disconnect the autopilot, it never decided to change the attitude/VS):

Also, the plane was well within weight and CG limits in the EFB and I clicked "send to sim" multiple times to ensure it sent properly.

Please login to display this image.

Archived