Climb rate / vertical speed very slow after ~FL250

Hi, bought the CRJ since a couple weeks now and I love it.

But I can't quite get the aircraft to reach its cruise level (example : FL380) in less than what you'd expect. After passing FL250 the aircraft climbs at around 0.5fpm.

I have also set the speed to "TGT Speed" from the FMS after passing FL100 (usually around mach .74) and set the throttle to climb mode.

I'm pretty sure I'm being the problem, but I can't tell why. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

So there have been issues with the plane not climbing very well due to icing issues that are Asobo's fault. Not Aerosoft's. So first things first, make sure you have icing set to "Visual Only". Now, assuming that's not the issue here, the most efficient way to climb the CRJ is to use the 250/290/0.74 schedule. 

I'll explain what the means but first it's important that you make sure you're using speed mode to climb. Do not use VS or PTCH mode. Those modes can be used in certain circumstances but for the most part you want to avoid them until you're more familiar with the plane.

So, the 250/290/0.74 schedule means this: Climb at 250 knots until 10,000ft. At 10,000ft accelerate to 290 knots. At a certain point, around FL280, 290 knots is going to equal M0.74. When this happens, press the SPD button (make sure you press the very centre of the knob) and the mode will change to mach mode. Once you're in mach mode continue the climb at M0.74. This should get you up to FL380 nicely. Provided of course that the plane isn't too heavy. Let me know if that doesn't work or if you have any other questions.

Cheers,

Troy

Archived