Not able to start L engine while APU is running (CRJ550/700 MSFS)

Ironmaid91

Is there a reason that I'm not able to start the Left engine while the APU is running?

I have watched "The Dude"'s tutorials several times now (and tried to get trough most of the manuals), and I think I got the procedures right. But I'm not able to start Left Engine as long as the APU is running.

Somebody know about something to check for (something I've done wrong..) ?

Thanks for all help

Do you have a screenshot of the overhead and one of the pedestal panel to show us?

Can you check if you have assigned “mixture,mixture 1,2 “ somewhere on your controller bindings?

3 hours ago, gorrack said:

Do you have a screenshot of the overhead and one of the pedestal panel to show us?

Can you check if you have assigned “mixture,mixture 1,2 “ somewhere on your controller bindings?

Don't have any photos to show at  the moment. I had mixture 1 and 2 assigned, but removed them due to a bug in the sim - shutting down my engins if i presse the esc key. 

Hi

I experienced this for the first time yesterday.  Have flown the CRJ for several hours with cold and dark start-ups usually.  Yesterday, APU OK, RH Engine started normally, but not possible to start LH engine.  I did (in frustration) push the 'stop' button on the o/verhead and 'played with' the throttle unlock, and the Start button did light up temporarily, but no start.  No screen shots of this unfortunately but I will should it happen next time.

PS I don't believe control bindings are impacting.  I have a dedicated CRJ Honeycomb Bravo configuration

On 4/13/2021 at 12:13 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay I can only say that every we seen this issue is was a binding.

Well, I don't think this is a binding problem. I usually fly the CRJ550, and there I'm not able to start the left Engine while the APU is running. 

But yesterday I tested in the CRJ 700, and there I was able to start the left Engine while the APU was running. I have done nothing with my key bindings. (I have done the exact same checklist in both of the planes) 

• Aerosoft
3 hours ago, Ironmaid91 said:

Well, I don't think this is a binding problem. I usually fly the CRJ550, and there I'm not able to start the left Engine while the APU is running. 

But yesterday I tested in the CRJ 700, and there I was able to start the left Engine while the APU was running. I have done nothing with my key bindings. (I have done the exact same checklist in both of the planes) 

But the systems are 100% the same for the 550 and 700 Ironmaid.  Absolutely no difference. 

Could well be a bindings-issues, please check it, i had the problem that the engines turned off cause i had mixture set to one of the throttle axis. So i created a specific CRJ Profile for the Saitek-throttle in MSFS to be sure to not cut Mixture accidently while flying. When im flying C172 i just switch the profile back to my default one.

OK...I have done that and I think OK.  It happened today. The APU was on.  Started Nbr1 first and couldn't start Nbr2. However, I switched the APU off and nbr2 was then a normal start.  Is that practice to switch off the APU with 1 engine started?  If so, great...

13 hours ago, Transair said:

OK...I have done that and I think OK.  It happened today. The APU was on.  Started Nbr1 first and couldn't start Nbr2. However, I switched the APU off and nbr2 was then a normal start.  Is that practice to switch off the APU with 1 engine started?  If so, great...

No we don't normally shut down the APU after starting only one engine. We use the APU to start both engines. If the APU is not working (I'm talking real world here) then we use a ground cart (which is actually included in the Aerosoft EFB) to start the right engine and then we use the right engine to start the left engine. We call this a cross-bleed start.

But again this isn't done when the APU is running.

• Aerosoft
14 hours ago, Transair said:

Why would you do that?

thanks to both.  Yes I agree with Ground power starts and cross bleeds to start 1 off the other - aware of that.  I just tried what I could at the time.  Maybe coincidence rather than a strategy. I re-installed the CRJ yesterday and got normal starts from the APU so perhaps a glitch somewhere....all OK now at least.

Archived