CRJ550 POS INIT

Dave1399

Can someone explain how to set the Pos ini to a gate. I've tried two different airports without luck.

1St was KDCA Gate B19 and KPHL dont remember the gate there. But it won't take any gate i try to ent. The test flight manual only says to ent gate, but has no example.  I'm trying to get the best gns per the coords off of the charts.

Thanks.

Dave.

Hello Dave,

you don't have to enter a Gate on the INIT page (entries with dashes are optional, entries with boxes are mandatory). In the SIM the airports do vary from vendor to vendor and the gate positions are not that super accurate plus they could also have other numbers.

In the POS INIT page you just go to Page 2 and copy GNSS1 position by clicking the LSK next to it, then go back to POS INIT Page 1 and paste it into the boxes by clicking the LSK right to it. This are then the very exact coordinates your plane is located at.

Additionally to GEK_the_Reaper :

Do not confuse the Airport Pos with the FMS Pos.
It is easy to remember: Where the FMS is, the aircraft is also.
The airport reference position is somewhere completely different.

10 hours ago, GEK_the_Reaper said:

you don't have to enter a Gate on the INIT page

I was hoping the Gate would allow for a better GPS Position. The Page 2 of the POS INT has the GPS position displayed, but it's always no where near what the chart says it should be. Using Navigraph charts and looking at the Gate GPS Position the POS on PG 2 should at least be close. But it's not. Fundamentally I haven't noticed any hinderence of flying Procedures, but it's more of a OCD issue lol. So mainly if there is a way to input the gate and get a clsoe representation of what the charts say it should be, I'd like to know how to enter the Gate. Because simply entering "B19" at KDCA Doesn't work.  

8 hours ago, Hoffie3000 said:

Do not confuse the Airport Pos with the FMS Pos.

I know. The Airport ref is usually somewhere near the middle of the airport property and not the actual location of the aircraft at the airport. 

Thanks for the replys gents.  

Dave

16 hours ago, Dave1399 said:

I was hoping the Gate would allow for a better GPS Position. The Page 2 of the POS INT has the GPS position displayed, but it's always no where near what the chart says it should be. Using Navigraph charts and looking at the Gate GPS Position the POS on PG 2 should at least be close. But it's not. Fundamentally I haven't noticed any hinderence of flying Procedures, but it's more of a OCD issue lol. So mainly if there is a way to input the gate and get a clsoe representation of what the charts say it should be, I'd like to know how to enter the Gate. Because simply entering "B19" at KDCA Doesn't work.  

I know. The Airport ref is usually somewhere near the middle of the airport property and not the actual location of the aircraft at the airport. 

Thanks for the replys gents.  

Dave

The gate position entry is a leftover from before the advent of GPS. In those days, every airport gate was surveyed for its lat/lon, and the that data was stored in the FMS database. It was (at the time) easiest way to input the aircraft’s current position into the IRU for alignment. But now, using GPS position is the preferred method - it is far more accurate - both in the real world and in the sim.

Archived