Honeycomb Alpha - Axis not centering/severe chattering

Was doing a flight earlier today, took off with no issues.  As I came in to land and turned off the AP - the airplane turned sharp to the left without input.

On further investigating, the yoke is now outputting 10% left aileron axis when it is centered and not being touched.  I've attempted: Restarting computer, restarting MSFS, unplugging yoke, unplugging everything, uninstalling all Honeycomb software and reinstalling, checking for windows updates, calibrating through the Windows 10 control panel, doing the manual calibration listed in the manual, calibrating in P3D, FSUIPC6, FSUIPC7 and the MSFS controls menu.  Nothing has taken.  It sporadically will get near the center axis for a few minutes but then jump back to 10% left, and it is jumping +/- 5% every millisecond.

Any hidden tricks I've missed? Is it completely broke?

This would happen literally hours after I sold my old Saitek yoke and dropped it off for shipping. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

I suggest running the Windows calibration tool off the Windows Control Panel/Devices and Printers page. Watch for jittering in the respective axis before and after calibration. Then do the same thing with the yoke plugged in to a rear USB port directly on the mobo (no connector cable). If there is some, or the yoke doesn't center after a sharp deflection-and-release, and the problem persists after plugging directly into the mobo, the yoke is bad. If the signal is stable and the yoke centers with the deflection-and-release trick in direct-to-mobo connection, you may have a bad front UPS port, bad connection between a front mounted UPS port or related issue. If you're using a hub or plugged into an intervening device and the signal is bad, well then there's your culprit.

If you establish that there is definitely a problem with the yoke, the next step is to hardware-recalibrate it using Honeycomb's instructions from here. If that sorts it out but you end up with too big a dead zone, you might try a couple of my suggestions for doing the recalibration from here.

Appreciate the comments all - unfortunately the issue shows itself in Windows calibration, and does not change with the USB ports (even used a different USB cord to rule that out).  Manual calibration fixes the issue for about 2 minutes, and then begins having issues again.

Submitted a ticket for help, hopefully the response time isn't too  long.

44 minutes ago, zdvet said:

Manual calibration fixes the issue for about 2 minutes, and then begins having issues again.

Do you mean the Honeycomb calibration, not Windows calibration?

48 minutes ago, MarkHurst said:

Do you mean the Honeycomb calibration, not Windows calibration?

The "Manual Calibration" is the the name that Honeycomb gave the procedure, so that's is what he's asking.

If your Alpha is not connected directly to a computer USB port (as in, not via a Hub) then please try doing that and giving the Manual Calibration another whirl.  Additionally, please ensure your Alpha is not connected to a USB 3.0 Port.  USB 2.0 or 3.1 or later is fine, but there are compatibility issues with USB 3.0 ports.  Honeycomb products are USB 2.0, and 3.1+ is truly backwards compatible but USB 3.0 can cause timing issues with USB 2.0 devices.

Interesting.  Had to look up my mobo specs and saw that I had them plugged into USB 3.2, moved it to the USB 2 slot, recalibrated and it appears to be better now...  Wonder if there was a firmware or Windows update recently that caused an issue since they have been plugged UBS 3.2 this whole time.

On 4/11/2021 at 9:47 PM, zdvet said:

Interesting.  Had to look up my mobo specs and saw that I had them plugged into USB 3.2, moved it to the USB 2 slot, recalibrated and it appears to be better now...  Wonder if there was a firmware or Windows update recently that caused an issue since they have been plugged UBS 3.2 this whole time.

Unknown.  Mine works fine on 2.0 or 3.1.  I don't have 3.2, but given how USB Specs are not coordinated (at ALL) in the industry there is room for speculation on 3.2.  I will endevor to keep an eye on it.

Archived