I am a murderer

ozzie_expat

I've lost count on the number of pax that I've sent to the great black hole in the sky (the one that appears when MSFS says 'You Crashed! You have overstressed your aircraft) - unless I am extremely vigilant when I capture altitude hold it feels like only seconds between accelerating from an autopilot climb mode set to 250 knots to an alt held mode and overspeed warning ~ 320 knots --- then --- boom! 

I'm not complaining, this of course is my own fault of sometimes getting distracted by all the other shiny things in the cockpit and not reducing thrust early enough. However, it does lead me to wonder, if I fly in a real CRJ, how nervous should I be?

• 3 weeks later...

It is a valid point. This has happened to me as well and I wonder how realistic this is? Surely the real planes would not break up for a 30 to 40 knot overspeed?

13 minutes ago, mtissing said:

It is a valid point. This has happened to me as well and I wonder how realistic this is? Surely the real planes would not break up for a 30 to 40 knot overspeed?

In aircraft design, Vne speeds are determined based on either structural loads (the force caused by the air will cause it to break) or vibration/flutter (the airflow will cause an unstable oscillation that will cause the airframe to break).  It is not uncommon for structural margins to be 20%-50% (e.g. if the Vne produces a force of 100 lbs. on a component, that component will break at 150 lbs. of force).  Adding additional safety margins increases weight, which is the enemy of aircraft design.

Not knowing the results of Bombardier's loads or flutter analysis, we can't say for certain what would happen.  Since most aerodynamic forces are proportional to the square of velocity, it's entirely possible that you could damage airframe components at 40 kts over Vne...

I wouldn't be nervous in a real CRJ though.  You have two trained professionals flying the aircraft, and it is unlikely that they would miss reducing thrust when the aircraft levels off.  In the event they did, they would surely hear the overspeed warning and reduce speed (that is why Vne is defined to have a margin of safety before you actually damage the plane).

• Herman locked this topic

Archived