Low Performance above FL300

I now twice tried to complete a flight from KDEN to KPDX with a flight plan and load sheet created by SimBrief. Unfortunately both times I was unable to reach the cruise altitude calculated by Simbrief on my flight. Instead the plane seemed to slow down ever further and started an increasing descent that I was unable to recover from.

To fix this issue I tried a few things, none of which worked. I tried turning anti-ice on and off, toggled the speed brake on and off, tried all of the throttle modes up to take-off power in cruise. 

Below you can see a few from my cockpit a few minutes after the issue started and the SimBrief data used for the flight. 

Now I tried to look at the included documentation of the plane to see if the plane was maybe to heave for the intended cruise level. But from what I can see in this documentation it is close to the maximum weight but should be doable. Also I find it a bit weird, that even while descending the speed of the plane never recovers, even though I'm using full throttle the whole time. 

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

FL380 is pushing it a little bit at that weight but should be reachable with that temperature and using 300fpm for the last bit. From which level do you start to see the issues? If it is already at FL300 it's a bit weird, it should have decent performance still (talking about the real plane btw). FL370 should be possible with a minimum climb rate of 500fpm.

The reason why you are not regaining speed, even with full thrust, is because you are at that point waaaaay below the minimum drag speed. There is so much drag to overcome that you need to actively drop the nose and reduce the angle of attack of the wings to get back to normal flight.

Archived