Auto tune do not set CDI

David Drouin

Having already programmed a ProLine 21 myself, it seems to me that in my reading of the documentation, the two CDIs  (runways course) must be set automatically at the same time as the frequency of LOC1 and LOC2.

They will be set automatically if the nav radios are set to auto and if you pull the approach from the FMS. They don't get set right away though. They will be set about 15-20 miles from the initial approach fix. 

You'll know they're set when you get the blue preview needles.

17 minutes ago, David Drouin said:

I will try again with nav radios set to auto

Sounds good. But now that I think about it I don't think they actually have to be in auto as long as the correct localizer frequency is inputted. The key is to make sure the approach is taken from the FMS. 

I never tune the radios manually. I just leave it in auto and I make sure to pull the approach from the FMS and the CDI tunes automatically every time so give that a shot.

I normally tune both Nav radios manually when about 40 miles out, unless a particular procedure requires monitoring a VOR as well, in which case I will set the VOR in the Nav 2 receiver. The auto CDI to the LOC course definitely works in NAV 1 for me every time, but I am not certain in it working for the Nav 2 CDI. I’ll check that on my next flight.

The auto CDI works for Nav 1 but not for Nav 2, I did the test yesterday.

I think that when Nav 1 and Nav 2 are blue (In Preselect mode), both CDI should be set correctly by the auto tune feature  and not only when the LOC and/or GS are captured. 

This is only my humble opinion, not a fact.

You did an amazing job with this plane.

Thanks guys !

• Herman locked this topic

Archived