FPS Drop when FMS wait for EXEC key

David Drouin

I would hazzard a guess that this happens due to the sandbox.  Are you using the fps counter in the game itself?  If so then when you hit execute, a lot of things happen in the sand box the aircraft operates in .  I have noticed the the in game fps counter is all over the place with this aircraft, however, for me, it is always butter smooth with no stutters.  That is all I care about and I leave FPS counting to the people how prefer to do that instead of fly.

5 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

The simulator runs in a sandbox. We have absolutely no control over these issues that only happen in VR as the SDK at this moment does not offer any assistance.  The moment it does we might be able to smooth these things out.

Or, in other words: a moving target? 😉 

16 hours ago, David Drouin said:

No sandbox, no FPS counting, Crabby I have this problem in VR mode with my HP Reverb G2

Sandbox means the simulator (CRJ) runs outside of the simulator (MSFS).  In order for you to see and experience what you do, the sandbox (CRJ) and the sim (MSFS) talk back and forth.  The FPS counter is useless for the CRJ.  All you need to be concerned with is the smoothness of flying the CRJ.  If it is smooth FPS, with regards to the CRJ, is just a number that can and should be ignored.  I get anywhere from 78 FPS to 18 FPS, but I can't tell the difference WHEN FLYING THE CRJ because the counter is wrong.  FPS chasing may be useful (I argue that in a flight sim it is not) with the default aircraft and the FBW A320, but with any aircraft that operates in the "sandbox" it is to be ignored.

• Aerosoft
5 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Sandbox means the simulator (CRJ) runs outside of the simulator (MSFS). 

Sorry not correct, it all runs inside the sandbox. That makes debugging etc not easy but it is most likely needed to run on the XBox.

2 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Sorry not correct, it all runs inside the sandbox. That makes debugging etc not easy but it is most likely needed to run on the XBox.

Got it, still FPS chasing and monitoring is a waste of energy.  Get it smooth and enjoy it is my motto.

I've also experienced severe lag on recent flights with the CRJ.  I thought it might be due to STKP or PosCon, but in both cases it happened shortly after trying to change something in the FMC, so if it happens again I'll see if the FMC is waiting for execute and post back if that's the case.  MSFS and CRJ purchased from MS Store/In game store respectively.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, same problem (except I'm not using VR). But now, after latest update, I'm running into an issue where the sim actually freezes entirely when managing the CRJ's MCDU. Previously, it was just a matter of pressing EXEC. Now, sometimes while editing legs (trying to get rid of discontinuities, etc), the sim will simply freeze -- so there's not even a chance to press EXEC anymore. So I can't really plan flights. No FPS chaser here.

Lots of people reporting this issue, in various topics, always involving FMS management in the CRJ. For quite some time. It's getting frustrating that it seems this is being dismissed, not payed attention to.

Same problem without VR. It seems to me that it is related to the database from navigraph, but at the moment it occurs on practically every RNP approach and is manifested by the appearance of additional dashes (similar to leg dash) on the navigation display.
My ND after inserting RNAV 09 approach to LXGB today (two times). Now every switch to legs page (even from legs page) require exec.

Please login to display this image.

Edit: IMO this issue is applicable only for RNP approaches ending on the RWY (08 AR in LOWI, 09 in LXGB), but that should be checked.

Ok, I can't edit previous post so:
I just tested newest update (1.0.5) and here you are results:
1. My normal FPS limited by GPU (GTX 1050 2 GB), CPU is i5-6500 3.2 GHz
2. FPS while inserting APP to LOWI (RNAV 08 Z)
3. FPS while FMS wait on exec after remove discontiunity.
To be honest todays update little help with that issue.

I really hope that post help you improve that beautifull product.

19 hours ago, Kacper Małachowski said:

Same problem without VR. It seems to me that it is related to the database from navigraph, but at the moment it occurs on practically every RNP approach and is manifested by the appearance of additional dashes (similar to leg dash) on the navigation display.
My ND after inserting RNAV 09 approach to LXGB today (two times). Now every switch to legs page (even from legs page) require exec.

Edit: IMO this issue is applicable only for RNP approaches ending on the RWY (08 AR in LOWI, 09 in LXGB), but that should be checked.

If the FPS slows to a crawl while waiting for EXEC in all cases, that is definitely a bug which needs to be corrected. However in your particular example, there is a specific complication:

The CRJ is fundamentally incompatible with RNP approaches.

No real CRJ is certified or capable of doing RNP approaches, and these approaches simply do not exist in the nav database of the real aircraft.

They do appear in the sim nav database because both the default Aerosoft and optional Navigraph databases contain every available approach for every airport. At the present time, there is no easy way to filter out RNP approaches so they do not appear in the FMS list of procedures in the sim (as is done in the real aircraft). 

The FMS in the sim was coded using technical reference documentation for the real Rockwell-Collins FMS4200.

The real FMS is not capable of interpreting the waypoint and procedural definitions in the nav database that are unique to RNP/AR approaches, and neither is the sim version of the FMS. That is why you will often see strange waypoint identifiers, multiple disjointed legs, and unstable FMS behavior - and potentially, even a freeze up of the sim.

Not only is the FMS incompatible with RNP/AR, but so is the autopilot. These procedures require an autopilot capable of using a dynamically variable bank angle while executing turns, (which neither the real nor simulated CRJ autopilot can do) and also require a fully coupled VNAV system capable of following an RNP vertical profile with high precision.

Although coupled VNAV is an option in both the real and sim CRJ it does not have the capabilities required by RNP/AR.

If the coding in the nav database changes so that RNP RNAV approaches can be clearly and unambiguously differentiated from ordinary RNAV approaches in every case, they will be filtered out and no longer accessible in the sim.

Until such time, If you know (from the approach chart) that a particular procedure is RNP/AR and choose to load it into the FMS anyway, you do so at your own risk. It very likely will not load or display correctly. The autopilot will very likely not fly it correctly, and at worst, it could cause the sim to

become unstable or even crash.

I will suggest that a pinned topic be added to the FAQ section of the forum regarding RNP/AR procedures, and likewise to the aircraft documentation.

Archived