MSFS/CRJ Ground Effect

I'd like to preface this post by stating that I love flying the Aerosoft CRJ in MSFS. With that said, it is very frustrating to land the CRJ with the current ground effect in MSFS. When coming in to land in the CRJ, I find that I barely have to add any back pressure and at around 10-20 feet, the plane feels like it stops sinking and I have to let go of the stick pressure to prevent ballooning. While I'm not a real CRJ pilot, I do have real world experience in single-engine piston airplanes and the CRJ-700 in MSFS feels like landing a light GA plane. I am almost certain that ground effect does not effect the real CRJ this strongly as many videos I've seen show the pilots having to add back pressure throughout the flare and the plane just being a little "heavier" and less abruptly effected by ground effect. I understand that this is a sim-wide issue but I was hoping Aerosoft could find a way to make the CRJ land a little more realistically. Is this something that Aerosoft can work on (possibly with Asobo if needed)?

Again, while many of us simmers aren't experts, I'm sure many people with a lot of experience in various other airliners in other sims can agree that the ground effect seems oddly strong and the plane seems a bit springy/twitchy/light in the flare and is very weird to land well

• Developer

If you properly arm the ground spoilers and do not set reverse power before the nose wheel is down, than it should take down the nose at Vref.

• Developer

I can only say that the ground effect was measured and tested by a handful of CRJ pilots and what you see in the seem was considered as realistic behavior. Due to the low wing the ground effect is very sensible and reduces the descent rate.

• Aerosoft

And it was also my assumption, that due to the high tail mounted engines the aircraft would lift the nose up automatically, once you put them in idle during flare. Could also contribute to that effect, I guess.

The ground effect is definitely too strong. I reduced this number to 1.08 in the flightmodel.cfg file found in the CRJ folder and it requires much better timing of power reduction usually at 20ft minimum. The wings are small on this plane so it requires power in the flare until 20ft usually and a small amount pitch. I think if you do this it will feel more accurate. 

-Mike

Please login to display this image.

On 6.4.2021 at 21:53, metzgergva sagte:

If you properly arm the ground spoilers and do not set reverse power before the nose wheel is down, than it should take down the nose at Vref.

It would be great to have some clicking sound if i idle my thrust, cause i often pull it down too much, so i get into the reversers during flare - it would help to get an audio feedback like on the airbus, otherwise its such a tiny space between idle and reverse, which makes it really hard to set the thrust right during landing.

for groundeffect in general it might be a little bit too much, but as stated above due to the higher and way back mounted engines, its physically totally correct to bring up the nose if you lower your thrust during the flare - so if you have that in mind, for me, it feels realistic at the moment!

13 hours ago, mchaney1995 said:

The ground effect is definitely too strong. I reduced this number to 1.08 in the flightmodel.cfg file found in the CRJ folder and it requires much better timing of power reduction usually at 20ft minimum. The wings are small on this plane so it requires power in the flare until 20ft usually and a small amount pitch. I think if you do this it will feel more accurate. 

-Mike

Please login to display this image.

Have you flown a CRJ to compare it to something, though? This is all kinda moot, is simmers can only really have previous sims as a baseline.

18 hours ago, mchaney1995 said:

-Mike

Thanks, I'll have to try that.

Any real CRJ pilots/CRJ experts: How well does the plane fly as it drops below Vref in the flare? Did a test yesterday to see how it would handle and I was able to hold the flare (10-20 feet above the ground) until about 24 knots BELOW ref, at a somewhat normal 3-5 degree pitch attitude. I have a video if it helps but something seems odd about this to me as I can't imagine the plane should still fly like this 24 knots below Vref.

• Developer

Vref is defined by 1.3 x Vs at a given weight and configuration. So if you have Vs of 100 and a Vref of 130 it will continue to fly 24 knots below with a high AoA  and if you are on GS with 3 degree, 5 degree pitch would be 8 degree AoA. Still flying but not advised at all.

6 hours ago, flyingguitaristsam said:

Any real CRJ pilots/CRJ experts: How well does the plane fly as it drops below Vref in the flare? Did a test yesterday to see how it would handle and I was able to hold the flare (10-20 feet above the ground) until about 24 knots BELOW ref, at a somewhat normal 3-5 degree pitch attitude. I have a video if it helps but something seems odd about this to me as I can't imagine the plane should still fly like this 24 knots below Vref.

It shouldn't. As a general rule of thumb, with thrust at idle in the flare you'll see a degree of pitch for every knot below Vref. A normal landing attitude is about 5 degrees up, so you should be touching down at about 5 degrees below Vref. 24 knots seems excessive, you'll strike the tail well before that.

• 2 weeks later...

When I landed with Vref, unfortunately, I cannot put tire. I usually get off with Vref-15 otherwise the plane continues to float. Is there a solution or is this a bug? 

image.thumb.png.39c3923040e52a4a5017857c15053f16.png

image.thumb.png.eb5b9c211a0d1d4d402c8ab531b89a24.png

Archived