CRJ700 will not level out at preset altitude and pitches up and down

Having loaded the FMS and prepared for takeoff with 10,000 ft selected, I take off manually initially, engage the autopilot and the aircraft climbs using the VS but it is unstable in the climb and will not settle down to a fixed rate of climb. the rate of climb that I selected is shown on the main display but the rate of climb indicator goes from 6 up to 6 down. and up again. When it reaches 10,000ft, it keeps on climbing so I have to resort to flying manually to control the altitude and despite holing the stick steady it is very unstable in pitch and does its own thing.

When I fly real aircraft I expect them to respond to my control inputs but this totally ignores my commands and does what it wants. I tried engaging the stabilizer pitch control on the centre consul by pushing both buttons but it was still the same.

I have tried flying it 3 times this afternoon for a short journey of just over 100 miles but on each flight the same problems occurred and I gave up in despair.

I'm sure i did everything right but if you have any suggestions I would very much appreciate them.

Thank you.

I’m sure you checked this, but is your flight model set to modern?

Also make sure you don’t get any control input while AP is on. Sometimes you need to increases the deadzone on your axis. 

1 hour ago, Marco307 said:

Having loaded the FMS and prepared for takeoff with 10,000 ft selected, I take off manually initially, engage the autopilot and the aircraft climbs using the VS but it is unstable in the climb and will not settle down to a fixed rate of climb. the rate of climb that I selected is shown on the main display but the rate of climb indicator goes from 6 up to 6 down. and up again. When it reaches 10,000ft, it keeps on climbing so I have to resort to flying manually to control the altitude and despite holing the stick steady it is very unstable in pitch and does its own thing.

When I fly real aircraft I expect them to respond to my control inputs but this totally ignores my commands and does what it wants. I tried engaging the stabilizer pitch control on the centre consul by pushing both buttons but it was still the same.

I have tried flying it 3 times this afternoon for a short journey of just over 100 miles but on each flight the same problems occurred and I gave up in despair.

I'm sure i did everything right but if you have any suggestions I would very much appreciate them.

Thank you.

Can you take some screenshots of ED1 and ED2?

You mentioned you tried engaging the stabilizer pitch control but that needs to be done before you take off. The autopilot will not engage unless at least one channel of the stab trim is engaged. 

Try climbing in SPD mode instead of VS mode. VS mode is not usually recommended in the climb. After you take off, engage the autopilot anywhere between 600-1000ft. Select SPD mode and then HDG mode and see how it responds. On the PFD do you see a green AP on the top left of the attitude indicator? 

Archived