New aircraft project....

Hi Kiwikat,

I write my posts for a wide audience as it's impossible to know the knowledge level of the reader, hence the subtle inference to 'bells and whistles'. I agree with your assessment of the challenges of bringing such an aircraft to MSFS.

My father works on Gulfstream avionics for a living so he would be a great reference for anyone who might decide to tackle one. I could actually see an older one as being possible, like a GII or GIII, but anything GIV and newer would be wayyyyyyyy too much for FS to handle as well as the developers. The Primus Epic is a beast. It would take one talented coder to nail it nicely. No way you can replicate all of the functions and all but I think a very nice version could be made.

Mid-long range biz jets seem to be ignored in the FS world. There's only a (few?) offerings and I don't consider them to be very nice. Looks like a short-range one is going to hit the sim in the (near?) future in Citation Mustang form.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new suggestion of me would be another classic GA or bush-plane, roughly à la Piper (Super?) Cub like Aerosoft made for FS9. That would sell in great numbers! A decent Dassault Rafale would be great too. I've got some others too on the list:

- F4U Corsair,

- F7F Tigercat,

- F-14 Tomcat,

(other [naval] aircraft ?)

The Airtractor (on amphibious floats) would be another great one!

Internally we don't really like to to jets as we are more tuned to props. Yet I still have to see one of those ultra light jets done well in FSX, it's on my list to investigate.

Glad to see you're keeping an eye on this thread, Mathijs. I'm sure I'm not the only one who might be curious to see what your top three or so possible forum submitted choices might be.

:D

• 2 weeks later...
Why going with the weird options where there are lots of simpler aircraft to pick? de Havilland Dash 7, did I hear anyone say?!

I've always been partial to de Havilland

I'm not to sure the Dash 7 was very common outside Canada, but the DHC 4 Caribou and the DHC 5 Buffalo certainaly were... please

• 4 weeks later...

Clearly the Zlin Z50 is a must! There are in no way enough accurate aerobatic aircraft for FSX or for FS9 for that matter, and they are clearly a popular type.

But if nothing else, a nice Wilga 2000 in Canadian Air Cadet colours would be welcome! :rolleyes:

What about these:

Or one of my all time favourites: Ryan STA / YPT-16

050309-F-1234P-023.jpg

Boy that was my first thought, I remember Bill Lyons had the Ryan STA / YPT-16 and I loved that aircraft.

Aerosoft could do this plane justice.

Jan

I remember the Ryan STA from my R/C days. SIG Manufacturing released a great bird. Still a legend of the r/c skies. Bill Lyons released a great Ryan for the simulator. But then again, he (amongst many others) released fine craftsmanship beyond virtual reality. IMHO, I think those who created the great birds of fame should have the last stand.

I think It would be a great idea if You did the WW2 Westland Lysander. It´s quite a odd and neglected bird not seen in FSX, neither as freeware. Think of the mission you could create, flying from Britain over the canal to France at night. Landing at a small grass strips only illuminated with small lights. I think that´s what FSX needs...

Quote from Wikipedia - "The Lysanders flew from secret airfields at Newmarket and later Tempsford, but used regular RAF stations to fuel-up for the actual crossing, particularly RAF Tangmere. Flying without any navigation equipment other than a map and compass, Lysanders would land on short strips of land, such as fields, marked out by four or five torches. They were only designed to carry one passenger in the rear cockpit, but in case of urgent necessity, two could be carried in extreme discomfort. The pilots of No. 138 and, from early 1942, No. 161 Squadron transported 101 to, and recovered 128 agents from Nazi occupied Europe. The Lysander proved to be a success in this role and continued to undertake such duties until the liberation of France in 1944."

lysander.jpg

I think It would be a great idea if You did the WW2 Westland Lysander.

The Lysander is in the making elsewhere. From the screenshots it is looking very good and almost complete.

I would think an F-7F Tigercat would be a good project. Especially with the type of engine damage model featured in the Hughes H-1B it would definately make for a challenging but rewarding flight experience. I would upload the photo but it is copyrighted so I will just post the link. Lots of good aircraft ideas floating around in this thread at least though. Hopefully one of them will be chosen.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/143259385_246bfd3d9c_o.jpg

I would think an F-7F Tigercat would be a good project. Especially with the type of engine damage model featured in the Hughes H-1B it would definately make for a challenging but rewarding flight experience. I would upload the photo but it is copyrighted so I will just post the link. Lots of good aircraft ideas floating around in this thread at least though. Hopefully one of them will be chosen.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/47/143259385_246bfd3d9c_o.jpg

This would be a great bird. I've watched that specific Tigercat (Big Bossman) race at Reno many times I think Michael Brown is the owner he also owns 2 other Seafurys which would also make a great bird in the sim.

• 4 weeks later...
Now I know this will cause comments, but I need to start planning for aircraft projects in the second half of this year and first quarter 2009. Keep in mind that internally we do the less standard aircraft, no airliners, nothing really modern and standard.

There is one I like to do, but I am not sure how this would go with our customers. http://www.airtractor.com/aircraft. Please comment in this.

Well, this looks like an airliner to me...a fine bird, sure, but not something we'd expect to be done by Aerosoft - and I guess they prefer to stay in their "market niche": the less common aircraft...where they do brilliant work: just look at the H-1, Twin Otter, Beaver, and F-16!

I'd go for the AirTractor...at least, if there's an amphibian variant. Or a Grumman Mallard, or Dornier Do-24. Another suggestion I'd like to make is a Sikorsky S-38...a great aircraft from the good old thirties ;)...

I know you don't want anything too "standard" but noone has made a really nice Dassault Falcon series. Or for that matter, a real nice Gulfstream V. But so far, I like alot of the suggestions made already.

• 2 weeks later...