EICAS ECS Supply Duct Temperature Reading Incorrect

dhamilton63

According to my crack research, the CRJ EICAS ECS page is showing a wildly inaccurate cockpit/cabin supply duct temperatures.  In my case, I'm observing temperature readings of ~-170 to ~-140 degrees Celsius.  That's pretty cold.  The only thing comfortable at that temperature is dry ice.  They do fluctuate somewhat as the temperature is adjusted.

Please login to display this image.

5 minutes ago, dhamilton63 said:

According to my crack research, the CRJ EICAS ECS page is showing a wildly inaccurate cockpit/cabin supply duct temperatures.  In my case, I'm observing temperature readings of ~-170 to ~-140 degrees Celsius.  That's pretty cold.  The only thing comfortable at that temperature is dry ice.  They do fluctuate somewhat as the temperature is adjusted.

I have to say that in 3 months of testing the CRJ I have never seen that happen. Not at all sure what may be causing it on your system but something may be glitched in your installation. 

5 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

I have to say that in 3 months of testing the CRJ I have never seen that happen. Not at all sure what may be causing it on your system but something may be glitched in your installation.

Well, after reviewing this again, I don't believe it has anything to do with a glitched installation.  If you load the CRJ 700 and don't immediately configure the aircraft for departure, rather, spend some time at the gate.  In my case, I'm reading the documentation, learning about the plane, and putzing around on my own abbreviated check-list.  The EICAS ECS Supply Duct temperature will start to fall...and keep falling. 

In case it's relevant, I'm at a gate in Zurich (LSZH) and the outside temperature is 2 degrees Celsius.  Upon initialization of the CRJ with just the external GPU connected (no APU), the ECS Supply Duct temperature starts at 13 degrees.  After 12 minutes and no other configuration changes, the temperature has fallen to 2 degrees.  Another 10 minutes pass and the temperature is now -5 degrees.  

Do you still think it's a glitched installation?  

I've been at the gate at YBTL for around an hour, not paused, while I do other stuff and mine still says 30 degrees.

I tried it at LSZH with TAT and SAT at 7c and the temperature started at 17 degrees. It is now at 1 degree. Ambient temperatures haven't changed.

So I can confirm the issue at LSZH but not YBTL.

Edit: I'll further note that it is accelerating. It took ages to go from 17 to 4. But from 4 to -6 is way faster.

13 hours ago, dhamilton63 said:

Do you still think it's a glitched installation? 

I’m not sure why this is happening in your system, but I absolutely cannot duplicate it. My pack outlet temperatures stabilize at typically between 8 and 15 C no matter what airport I am located at, or what the outside air temperature is, or how long I run the packs. I just sat on the ramp at KDTW running on the APU for almost two hours, (OAT originally 9C, now 11C), and the pack outlet temperature has been holding steady at 14C the entire time.

We will investigate this further, but at the moment, I have no idea why your pack temps (and apparently some other customers’) would be steadily decreasing with time.

12 hours ago, Thx1137 said:

So I can confirm the issue at LSZH but not YBTL.

1 minute ago, JRBarrett said:

I’m not sure why this is happening in your system

Did you see @Thx1137 was also able to duplicate at LSZH.  Not sure why the airport is relevant, but, maybe worth a check?

Okay, I tried a few more airports including LOWW (Vienna, Austria), KEB (Nanwalek, Alaska, US), and finished with KDEN (Denver, Colorado, US).  While initial attempts at the first two airports did not reproduce the issue; even with some manual manipulation of the weather settings.  The last attempt at KDEN did recreate the finding.  The only setup performed was the initial battery master on, EFB on, connect GPU, connect ground air cart, open passenger door, turn on ground power, and observe EICAS ECS status page.  The SAT/TAT was 4c, the Actual cockpit/cabin temps were 4c, and the duct temps were 18c.  After 16 minutes, the duct temperature dropped to 4c.  After another 10 minutes, the duct temperature was -4c.  Another 11 minutes later and the duct temperature was -14c.  After a total of 68 minutes from when I started, -41c and still falling.

Hmmm... @Mathijs Kok did you just insult me?  No, I'm just joking.  Well considering that it was verified by another member of the Forum, I don't think it is just my system.  Regardless, probably a very low priority to put resources on.  The value seems to be cosmetic anyway.  Once the packs are turned on, the cockpit/cabin cool/heat as expected regardless of this duct temperature.  It doesn't prevent me from enjoying the CRJ.  Thanks.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I can recreate this issue as well. I have added it now on our issue tracker for further investigation. Thanks for the report!

Archived