TCAS - ND Displays Traffic at Half the Distance

amahran

Please login to display this image.

The above ND display shows a picture with traffic at my level approximately 1.5-2 miles in front of me. When using FSX Google Earth Tracker (which still works with MSFS), the measuring tool measures 3.5 miles between my aircraft and the other.

This issue is prevalent in Rose and Arc mode. TCAS distances are only half of what they should be. The FSX CRJ had exactly the same issue.

Tried to take a better picture. Actual distance of 7.4 miles, ND shows roughly 4 miles. Mild inaccuracy as the planes kept moving while I was taking these screenshots over the course of maybe 10 seconds?

:

EDIT: Another one: in the exterior view I can see the aircraft is right over the threshold of the runway shown in the ND. The TCAS target however is halfway between me and the runway:

One more; this one I took with faster reaction times, but the planes slipped in Google Earth before I could take the snapshot.

Once again, you see the same thing; the traffic is displayed on the ND at half the actual distance.

• 10 months later...
6 hours ago, amahran said:

Raising this again, TCAS traffic is still rendered on the ND at half the distance they're actually at.

Again, great catch!  I think Mathjis, and NOT because he is German, drinks too much beer.  He is always talking about drinking beer.  In fact, if you look closely at his forum picture, he can be seen talking to someone about a beer he just drank.  He probably has forgot about this issue because he has been solely working on his beer shopping list.  

Not German?  No beer?  Oh holy crap!  Well I didn't think the name was German.  Well ok, the offices are in Germany and I cannot be held responsible if the local Germans did not teach Mathjis about bier or how it is better than wine.  

22 minutes ago, CRJay said:

And definitely not interested in fixing anything on the CRJ...

Not even a downvote.  This is just stupid.  It's untrue and you know it is.  It's a personal attack on the character of Mathijs and frankly should get you banned if I had a vote.  You offer nothing to the community except complaints and this kind of tripe.  It's one thing to point out flaws in a product and make even crazy demands, however this is low.  

Archived