STAR issues at every airport

I am having some issues with getting any STAR loaded properly. For some reason, it duplicates the STAR 2-5 times and keeps returning to the start of the STAR, or having many duplicate waypoints. This issue isnt present on other aircraft. It happens at all airports, and it has a slightly different outcome everytime. SIDs work perfectly fine, its just the STAR.

I had current Navdata, although removing the current data and reverting to the default included failed to fix the issue. I also tried reinstalling the CRJ to no avail as well.

One example shows the STAR start on page 3 at GUP (EAGUL6, ILS26 KPHX) but duplicates it to be 17 whole pages of garbled mess and the other one shows duplicated waypoints as well.

Please login to display this image.

Please login to display this image.

Are you selecting the STAR first, and then the runway? That is the normal procedure. First the STAR, then the STAR transition, and finally, the specific approach.

With SIDs it is the opposite - runway first, and then the SID. It should work either way, but perhaps that is causing the problem.

I have flown this particular STAR several times during testing and it has always worked, but something may have changed. I’ll check again.

@TripleDallas123

I just tried this both ways. I used a short FP from KABQ to KPHX, with a single enroute waypoint ABQ.

I selected the GUP.EAGUL6 and ILS26, entering the STAR first, and then the approach, then cleared the FP and tried again, this time entering the approach first and then the STAR, and both worked fine. No doubled waypoints or any other issues.

Unfortunately, I do not know what may have gone wrong in your example.

I'll give it another try today and pay attention to what I was doing. It's all sort of muscle memory so if I've learnt the wrong order than this could be an issue for myself haha. Will report back.

2 minutes ago, Daniel Glover said:

I'll give it another try today and pay attention to what I was doing. It's all sort of muscle memory so if I've learnt the wrong order than this could be an issue for myself haha. Will report back.

By chance did you load your main flightplan from Simbrief? It may be possible that doing so could produce this sort of issue if a complex STAR is also involved. I am still researching this.

Just now, JRBarrett said:

By chance did you load your main flightplan from Simbrief? It may be possible that doing so could produce this sort of issue if a complex STAR is also involved. I am still researching this.

I have been manually entering my flight plans for the practice so at least in my case it would rule that out. Haven't actually tried importing from SimBrief but I'm sure try it once I get lazy.

I too am experiencing this. I also have incorrect values for remaining distance to destinations, it’s out by a 100 miles plus, when I land at my destination. 

2 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Thanks. Just wanted to be sure that might not have been contributing to the problem.

I just put together a rough flight plan KSAN-KLAS (PADRZ2 CHKNN SEBBY YELAH MISEN RNDRZ1)

It still duplicated things. Not sure what caused it so I took a 1 minute recording of me punching in the flight plan. So you can try to replicate or let me know where I'm going wrong because I am a bit unsure.

UPDATE: So it would appear that selecting execute after choosing the STAR + transition (before selecting the approach) does not duplicate things. You just select the approach separately and execute separately from the STAR. It's when you try and do everything in one go that it decides to create some doubles.

Actually the correct procedure for BOTH SIDS and STARS is to select the runway/approach+runway first.  The FMC will then filter the SIDS and STARS to only show those that are valid for the selected runway.  Transitions are selected last or transitions and vias for an arrival.

21 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Actually the correct procedure for BOTH SIDS and STARS is to select the runway/approach+runway first.  The FMC will then filter the SIDS and STARS to only show those that are valid for the selected runway.  Transitions are selected last or transitions and vias for an arrival.

This is correct. Always start with the runway. SID or STAR.

2 hours ago, Crabby said:

2 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

This is correct. Always start with the runway. SID or STAR.

That's not what's causing the issue. Even if you do it in that order, if you don't select execute between selecting the runway and selecting the STAR then it will duplicate portions of the arrival - at least in my case.

I've noticed the same issue and was able to avoid it as well by executing basically every step along the way. Unnecessary on the real plane. 

Also unnecessary to argue over what is the correct way to select it, on the real thing you can do whatever your heart desires and it will still work :P . Runway first, arrival first, whatever floats your lifejacket.

1 hour ago, CRJay said:

Also unnecessary to argue over what is the correct way to select it, on the real thing you can do whatever your heart desires and it will still work :P . Runway first, arrival first, whatever floats your lifejacket.

This is also true! It was always best practice at my company do start with the runway though. Mostly for the simple fact that it then filters out SID or STARs that aren't applicable to that runway. 

I've noticed like you that things seem to work better if you execute after every change. Even if for no other reason then if you screw it up and have to cancel mod then you're not starting from scratch again. 

5 hours ago, CRJay said:

I've noticed the same issue and was able to avoid it as well by executing basically every step along the way. Unnecessary on the real plane. 

Perhaps correct was the wrong choice of words as, yes, you can do it any way you heart wants.  However, selecting the runway first allows the intelligence of the system to present you with only the correct SID/STAR/VIA information for the selected runway.

Archived