Dome light useless?

Hello,

there is a Dome Light switch on the overhead panel. May I ask what is the purpose for it? Coz it's absolutly useless, it has nearly no effect.

Since long time in P3D and now in MSFS panels are often too dark during daytime. With HDR this is again getting even badder. Especially the main and the glareshield panels are very dark if you look forward like in the screenshot. Increasing the gamma of the monitor is of no use coz then the landscape will be too light. So why isn't it possible to make the dome light stronger!

Perhaps make it a 2 stage switch to add a higher effect light for the main and glareshield panel (even if this is not the realworld switch).

But at the moment for me this is a very big nuisance in flying the CRJ.

Bernhard

Please login to display this image.

Of course I read that.

According to Vol5 there are those switches:

Central pedestal: flood light. That lights the pedestal (working good)

Pilot's/Copilot's side pedestal. That works also very good on the side pedestals

Overhead panel (like on the photo of your linked threat, red bordered): Dome light switch. This switch has nearly no effect, like I wrote above. It's working but lightening nearly nothing!

Overhead panel left and right side: DM LT LH: Thoses switches lighten the seats.

So tell me: which switch lights up the main/glareshiel panel (as a flood light) so that these panels are not so dark during daytime? Yes, there is not such a switch, it's missing. In reallife you don't need one. But in MSFS (and P3D) there is this sometimes bad effect to darken parts of the panels when your sight is focused on the outside. In reallife you can adapt this coz your eyes are very good in adaption of light/dark parts but a monitor cannot do this. So in my opinion one must compensate this by add a artificial "flood/dome light" especially for those darkened parts of the panel. For the pedestal and the overhead this is no problem, coz you have the focus on the inside of the cockpit. But main/glareshield panels are suffering of the light/dark effect.

Excuse me if I'm nagging on this. But that's a thing lots of cockpits are suffering. The standart airplanes of MSFS have compensated this a bit in implementing a very strong dome light (especially for daytime).

By the way: I think Aerosoft should revise their CRJ-manuals a bit, coz they are written for P3D and not adjusted complete for MSFS. For example concerning the cockpit lighting. On several passages there is written: "Not simulated". Maybe in P3D not simulated but it's working in MSFS.

Bernhard

On 4/2/2021 at 3:59 AM, BernhardS said:

Hello,

there is a Dome Light switch on the overhead panel. May I ask what is the purpose for it? Coz it's absolutly useless, it has nearly no effect.

Since long time in P3D and now in MSFS panels are often too dark during daytime. With HDR this is again getting even badder. Especially the main and the glareshield panels are very dark if you look forward like in the screenshot. Increasing the gamma of the monitor is of no use coz then the landscape will be too light. So why isn't it possible to make the dome light stronger!

Perhaps make it a 2 stage switch to add a higher effect light for the main and glareshield panel (even if this is not the realworld switch).

But at the moment for me this is a very big nuisance in flying the CRJ.

Bernhard

Please login to display this image.

The light really is that dim. That dome light is really more of a cockpit door/jumpseat light. It does almost nothing for lighting up the rest of the flightdeck.

On 4/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, BernhardS said:

Of course I read that.

According to Vol5 there are those switches:

Central pedestal: flood light. That lights the pedestal (working good)

Pilot's/Copilot's side pedestal. That works also very good on the side pedestals

Overhead panel (like on the photo of your linked threat, red bordered): Dome light switch. This switch has nearly no effect, like I wrote above. It's working but lightening nearly nothing!

Overhead panel left and right side: DM LT LH: Thoses switches lighten the seats.

So tell me: which switch lights up the main/glareshiel panel (as a flood light) so that these panels are not so dark during daytime? Yes, there is not such a switch, it's missing. In reallife you don't need one. But in MSFS (and P3D) there is this sometimes bad effect to darken parts of the panels when your sight is focused on the outside. In reallife you can adapt this coz your eyes are very good in adaption of light/dark parts but a monitor cannot do this. So in my opinion one must compensate this by add a artificial "flood/dome light" especially for those darkened parts of the panel. For the pedestal and the overhead this is no problem, coz you have the focus on the inside of the cockpit. But main/glareshield panels are suffering of the light/dark effect.

Excuse me if I'm nagging on this. But that's a thing lots of cockpits are suffering. The standart airplanes of MSFS have compensated this a bit in implementing a very strong dome light (especially for daytime).

By the way: I think Aerosoft should revise their CRJ-manuals a bit, coz they are written for P3D and not adjusted complete for MSFS. For example concerning the cockpit lighting. On several passages there is written: "Not simulated". Maybe in P3D not simulated but it's working in MSFS.

Bernhard

What panel are you asking about lighting up exactly?

If it is the MCP (the autopilot control panel) that you are talking about there is no flood light for that. only the integral lights (INTEG). There is also no flood light for the overhead panel.

Archived