CRJ T/O with only one hydraulic pump on

Segwin

OK, not my finest moment. Took off with only one hydraulic pump in operation. It took off fine and was climbing OK but not gaining speed as it should. After looking around and checking the overhead I noticed that thee pumps were in the off position. Obviously I didn't check the ECAS hydraulic page (my bad) but can you really fly the plane with 3 hydraulic pumps off? No warning lights or error messages noted.   

As log as both engines are running, the flight controls will work fine. They are the main hydraulic source for systems 1 and 2 - the electric pumps for 1 and 2 are for backup if the engine pumps fail.

All of the flight controls can move if only one hydraulic system is working, and it can be any of the three systems. The CRJ has more redundancy in this area than many aircraft do.

In the real aircraft, hydraulic system 3 is required to raise the gear - and that is electric only. Unfortunately, current limitations in MSFS prevent disabling flight controls (through programming) for things like loss of hydraulic power, so at present, things will work with no hydraulics.

14 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

As log as both engines are running, the flight controls will work fine. They are the main hydraulic source for systems 1 and 2 - the electric pumps for 1 and 2 are for backup if the engine pumps fail.

All of the flight controls can move if only one hydraulic system is working, and it can be any of the three systems. The CRJ has more redundancy in this area than many aircraft do.

In the real aircraft, hydraulic system 3 is required to raise the gear - and that is electric only. Unfortunately, current limitations in MSFS prevent disabling flight controls (through programming) for things like loss of hydraulic power, so at present, things will work with no hydraulics.

And there is no warning if all pumps (even if they’re just backup) are off?

7 minutes ago, curben said:

I don't believe there is. There's only a warning if the pump is selected ON or AUTO and it is not producing pressure when it should be; or in other words when the pump has failed. 

49 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

You can put the flaps down with no hydraulic pressure too.  its too bad aerosoft didnt custom code their systems, based on the marketing hype I was led to believe this aircraft would have custom coded systems.  Even the working title CJ4 models this behavior properly and its free!  Half the switches in the crj cockpit are just dummy switches and dont actually do anything behind the scenes.

30 minutes ago, curben said:

There are several warnings, but these are not yet modeled in the sim, but will be eventually.  Hydraulic warnings for low pressure will occur in flight - in particular if pump 3A is off. The electric 1A, 2A and 3B pumps do come on in flight in certain scenarios to assist the engine-driven pumps, and if the switches are not in AUTO mode, it will produce a warning with flaps greater than 5 degrees.

3 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

You can put the flaps down with no hydraulic pressure too.

The flaps are electrically operated in the CRJ You can raise or lower them in the real aircraft anytime electric power is on.

22 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

There are several warnings, but these are not yet modeled in the sim, but will be eventually.  Hydraulic warnings for low pressure will occur in flight - in particular if pump 3A is off. The electric 1A, 2A and 3B pumps do come on in flight in certain scenarios to assist the engine-driven pumps, and if the switches are not in AUTO mode, it will produce a warning with flaps greater than 5 degrees.

Thanks! I really appreciate your explanations, not just this topic but across the entire CRJ forum. I’m learning a lot just by reading your posts :)

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

The flaps are electrically operated in the CRJ You can raise or lower them in the real aircraft anytime electric power is on.

Oh I didnt know that, thanks for educating me. 

Archived