Which controls for the CRJ would you like to see in the Mobile Companion App [Feedback Request]

Hello CRJ pilots!

I'm currently working on implementing the CRJ controls for the open-source MSFS Mobile Companion App and I would like to hear your thoughts on which CRJ controls/switches/buttons you would like to see in the app. My plan is to have the following panels in the app:

• FCU
  • Panel left of the PFD
  • NAV frequency tuning
  • COM frequency tuning
  • Lights, anti/de-ice switches and toggle HUD

The goal is to have controls which are essential during the flight so that you don't have to move the cockpit camera to activate the switch with your mouse. I'm not planning on doing switches that you activate during start-up, taxiing or shut-down. I also won't be implementing the MCDU buttons because it would only make sense if I could simulate the full MCDU display as well - buttons alone don't make that much sense from the cost/benefit point of view. Once I know how to have the display in the app as well, I'll make the full MCDU.

Please let me know if I missed some essential controls that would be beneficial to have on a mobile device.

Thanks a lot!

Martin

Mod Edit: Emphasized project target at Martin's request

• Deputy Sheriffs
9 hours ago, FreightDawg said:

Definitely the CDU 

Are you aware there's already an excellent CDU available for tablets? I strongly suggest taking a look at this one, which is well regarded even by Hans Hartmann, lead developer on the CRJ. $15 / €10 and you can fly with it today. Great support too.

• Deputy Sheriffs

There may be some, like FreightDog, who will jump on the CDU, probably everybody's first choice, instead of catching the reference in your first post about switches and buttons.  That's why I quoted him.

Maybe an underline or bold text there could help clarify your design goal. Best wishes on your project.

8 hours ago, Herman said:

Are you aware there's already an excellent CDU available for tablets? I suggest taking a look at this one, which is well regarded even by Hans Hartmann, lead developer on the CRJ. $15 / €10 and you can fly with it today. Great support too.

Thx Herman i have all their PMDG cdu’ wasnt aware they had a crj i’ll be getting it thx for the tip 

For me, as you have already mentioned, these would be great

• Panel left of the PFD
  • NAV frequency tuning
  • COM frequency tuning

I have already mapped all FCU and lights to hardware switches and for CPU, I am already using the aviaCDU. 

Thanks for the links! I'm using Mobiflight's WASM Lvar module to access Lvars which works great and is easy to use. The problem with NAV frequencies is that there isn't a direct Lvar for tuning and standard SimConnect events don't work (COMs work fine though). There are Lvars for the radio panel buttons and the knob, but there doesn't seem to be a specific Lvar that shows which button is active. And that's the biggest issue. I think I can get around it by using dummy Lvars, but I only want to do it this way if nothing else works. I'll do some more testing and see if I can come up with something better.

When you guys mention FCU, what are you referring to? Unless you're talking about a Fuel Control Unit (which I doubt is the case) then the CRJ doesn't have an FCU. It's not an acronym we use. Are you referring to the MCP (Mode Control Panel)? 

This may seem pedantic so I apologize. It's not my intention.

3 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

When you guys mention FCU, what are you referring to? Unless you're talking about a Fuel Control Unit (which I doubt is the case) then the CRJ doesn't have an FCU. It's not an acronym we use. Are you referring to the MCP (Mode Control Panel)? 

This may seem pedantic so I apologize. It's not my intention.

The FCU stands for Flight Control Unit. It's the panel with autopilot controls in the middle of the cockpit.

Sounds good. I'm excited to see what you come up with. At this point I would give anything to have a way to quickly change the altitude without having to change camera views.

On 4/1/2021 at 12:48 PM, Herman said:

Are you aware there's already an excellent CDU available for tablets? I strongly suggest taking a look at this one, which is well regarded even by Hans Hartmann, lead developer on the CRJ. $15 / €10 and you can fly with it today. Great support too.

I would love to use this but it doesn't appear to work with MSFS.

25 minutes ago, Helibrewer said:

I would love to use this but it doesn't appear to work with MSFS.

I was actually planning on purchasing this today. Are you sure it doesn't work with MSFS? It mentions that it works not only with MSFS but specifically the Aerosoft CRJ. 

Cheers,

Troy

Please login to display this image.

22 minutes ago, Chaxterium said:

I was actually planning on purchasing this today. Are you sure it doesn't work with MSFS? It mentions that it works not only with MSFS but specifically the Aerosoft CRJ. 

Cheers,

Troy

Please login to display this image.

This was my error....there are 2 executables and I missed the aviaServer_FS2020 executable...I apologize

17 minutes ago, Helibrewer said:

This was my error....there are 2 executables and I missed the aviaServer_FS2020 executable...I apologize

No worries. So it works then? Are you happy with it? I'm excited to try it later today. I love everything about the Aerosoft CRJ (well almost everything) but using the mouse to enter data into the FMS is a pain (I understand it's the case with all the other aircraft too) so I'm excited to have a better way.

• 2 months later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

No response in over a month.

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived