Having some issues with Cruise throttle with the TCA quadrant.

Hey, I'm not really sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's an issue with my throttle quadrant or the aircraft itself, but when get to cruise and moved my throttle from Climb to manual, the N1 automatically spools up to the CRZ indicator on the N1, so I always end up overspeeding because I can't maintain speed without being able to move the N1 below CRZ.

Please login to view this video.

1 minute ago, SimWare said:

Hi Mocha,

- Did you update the CRJ to rev.1.0.0.1 ?
- What throttle do you use and did you calibrate is as in the procedure attached ?

Thank you.

CRJ Throttle Calibration Manual.pdf 2.36 MB · 0 downloads

Yes I updated it, and I'm using the TCA Airbus throttle quadrant and yes i did calibrate it

2 hours ago, SimWare said:

Hi Mocha,

- Did you update the CRJ to rev.1.0.0.1 ?
- What throttle do you use and did you calibrate is as in the procedure attached ?

Thank you.

CRJ Throttle Calibration Manual.pdf 2.36 MB · 2 downloads

So should we perhaps recalibrate for the new version? My throttles were working very well but maybe need to be set again?

I noticed the same behavior on the 1.0.0.1 release but I’m using the Bravo throttle. I have my airspeed bug set at M .80 but setting the levers In the first few inches below the climb detent causes the N1 to accelerate back to the CRZ N1 value. Ad if it had an auto throttle. 

I find I have to go several more inches, about half-way into the manual throttle area to prevent thrust values accelerating back to CRZ value. But then, speed decays way below target and the thrust seems to get way out of sync when I try to recover. Pushing the throttles forward to recover causes a big dip in Engine N1s then a strong surge. 

I only observed this behavior in cruise. Approach throttle response and speed management was manageable during this phase. 

2 hours ago, AaronL said:

So should we perhaps recalibrate for the new version? My throttles were working very well but maybe need to be set again?

I noticed the same behavior on the 1.0.0.1 release but I’m using the Bravo throttle. I have my airspeed bug set at M .80 but setting the levers In the first few inches below the climb detent causes the N1 to accelerate back to the CRZ N1 value. Ad if it had an auto throttle. 

I find I have to go several more inches, about half-way into the manual throttle area to prevent thrust values accelerating back to CRZ value. But then, speed decays way below target and the thrust seems to get way out of sync when I try to recover. Pushing the throttles forward to recover causes a big dip in Engine N1s then a strong surge. 

I only observed this behavior in cruise. Approach throttle response and speed management was manageable during this phase. 

You're describing the same exact issues that I'm having, all of the above.

Could it be that you have a too high value set as CLB/CRZ Gap in the calibration? I believe this settings defines how large the range around the CRZ detent is, that still will be interpreted as CRZ. 

I would recommend to check if reducing this range solves your issue.

8 hours ago, HighFlyer51 said:

Could it be that you have a too high value set as CLB/CRZ Gap in the calibration? I believe this settings defines how large the range around the CRZ detent is, that still will be interpreted as CRZ. 

I would recommend to check if reducing this range solves your issue.

i don't think so, i have tried 100 and 200. And I just reinstalled the CRJ and it's still not working..

Please login to view this video.

Please login to display this image.

I do not have this behavior with the TCA throttle, so at least it is not a general issue. The only thing that comes to my mind is a conflicting, second axis assignment to the throttle axis.

I would check again if some other axis (maybe from a different device) is also mapped to the throttle (also think about external programs such as FSUIPC if you have them).

1 minute ago, HighFlyer51 said:

I do not have this behavior with the TCA throttle, so at least it is not a general issue. The only thing that comes to my mind is a conflicting, second axis assignment to the throttle axis.

I would check again if some other axis (maybe from a different device) is also mapped to the throttle (also think about external programs such as FSUIPC if you have them).

What affect could FSUIPC have?

Just now, HighFlyer51 said:

It could be that some axis is still mapped in FSUIPC and causes a conflict.

How can I check for that ?

I guess the easiest way is to actually close it and then check if the issue persists. If this solves the problem, you can go to the FSUIPC axis assignment and check every axis, if it is assigned to something you do not want. If you do not want to try them all, you could also look at the FSUIPC config file, but this requires some advanced understanding how the config works.

26 minutes ago, HighFlyer51 said:

I guess the easiest way is to actually close it and then check if the issue persists. If this solves the problem, you can go to the FSUIPC axis assignment and check every axis, if it is assigned to something you do not want. If you do not want to try them all, you could also look at the FSUIPC config file, but this requires some advanced understanding how the config works.

tried disabling FSUIPC, no luck, issues still persist.

You're always moving the throttles in the video so I can't really see the issue. When I move mine the N1 moves around a fair bit before it stabilizes. It doesn't seem quite right but I have no problems flying.

Most settings seem ok to me but your CLB/CRZ gap is only 200. Mine is 700 which I assume is the default because I've never adjusted that setting myself.

According to the CRJ TCA setup guide, the CLB/CRZ gap there was set to 500. So, a lot bigger than yours. I'd imaging that allows finer throttle control in the manual range.

The way it looks to me, you are making your climb/cruise range tiny so you can have a big reverser range. But, I can't find any information about the exact effect of those setting unfortunately so it is an assumption based on others settings for the same device you have that apparently work.

54 minutes ago, Thx1137 said:

You're always moving the throttles in the video so I can't really see the issue. When I move mine the N1 moves around a fair bit before it stabilizes. It doesn't seem quite right but I have no problems flying.

Most settings seem ok to me but your CLB/CRZ gap is only 200. Mine is 700 which I assume is the default because I've never adjusted that setting myself.

According to the CRJ TCA setup guide, the CLB/CRZ gap there was set to 500. So, a lot bigger than yours. I'd imaging that allows finer throttle control in the manual range.

The way it looks to me, you are making your climb/cruise range tiny so you can have a big reverser range. But, I can't find any information about the exact effect of those setting unfortunately so it is an assumption based on others settings for the same device you have that apparently work.

Hey, @AaronLdescribed it well in his response, "speed decays way below target and the thrust seems to get way out of sync when I try to recover. Pushing the throttles forward to recover causes a big dip in Engine N1s then a strong surge". You can clearly see that demonstrated in the video, and from 0:11-0:14 (and if you take a look at the video I uploaded in the initial post) you can see how when I pull the throttle back the N1 instantly jumps back to ~82, then i continued to pull the throttles back then pushed them up to show the N1 dip, so it's basically to the point where I have 0 control over my throttles and N1, they automatically spool up OR they dip down when i push the throttles up.

On 4/1/2021 at 10:02 PM, Mocha said:

Hey, @AaronLdescribed it well in his response, "speed decays way below target and the thrust seems to get way out of sync when I try to recover. Pushing the throttles forward to recover causes a big dip in Engine N1s then a strong surge". You can clearly see that demonstrated in the video, and from 0:11-0:14 (and if you take a look at the video I uploaded in the initial post) you can see how when I pull the throttle back the N1 instantly jumps back to ~82, then i continued to pull the throttles back then pushed them up to show the N1 dip, so it's basically to the point where I have 0 control over my throttles and N1, they automatically spool up OR they dip down when i push the throttles up.

100% this. Still have the behavior. It’s like not having manual throttle control which is exactly what we should have in the cruise.

Same issue here, still present after latest update.

When I move the throttle a little bit down, N1 drops a lot and then raises back. If I keep moving my throttle back and forth in 1 milimeter range nonstop, N1 drops and keeps low until I stop moving my throttle, then it jumps back to the value it's supposed to actually have.

Throttle (Honeycomb Bravo but tested also with Thrustmaster TCWS) is calibrated in windows, calibrated in CRJ, linear and you can see very well on throttles in cockpit that are moving identical to my physical ones that this is not a hardware issue.

This makes plane unflyable because small corrections in throttle result in big N1 drops, which is really not fun when managing descent, not even talking about stalling on short final.

• Aerosoft

We are aware of this N1 issue and not ignoring it at all.

The developer is advised of the issue and will take the proper measures.
It has been somewhat corrected with the first update.
We keep investigating to be able to further address the issue in a future update.

Archived