Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ 550/700 - with cockpit animations and improved throttle binding

@pokes116Glad that you were able to fix the issue. I haven't checked bLindye's templates, but from the screenshot that you posted, it looks like the two rotaries are individually assigned to separate scripts, instead of using button combinations with a single script, as I have done.

I'll test this method out and if this really gets around the issue, I'll update my templates.

(Actually, this idea is great... Can think of quite a few interesting setup configs that can be made possible this way, which are otherwise limited by my button combo method.. Need to try it out 🤓

Thanks for bringing this to my attention 🙂

I have uploaded a new version, with an updated FCP template and associated scripts. The issue of rotaries not being detected should not occur (I haven't encountered it) - the fix is based on blindye's method. Also, one new feature as a result of this change - rotary acceleration! You can now toggle a switch to enable acceleration for those slow-moving alt/hdg/speed/crs1 knobs.

In the template, this is assigned to the rightmost unmarked switch on the bravo, since that is the closest to the right rotary, and you can easily flick the switch with your other fingers while turning the rotary. If you want to do a press and turn, e.g., press the flap switch and turn the knob, it is also possible; you need to manually assign the scripts for that.

Before applying the new FCP template, please remove all FCP assignments to avoid duplicates/conflicts.

• Like 1

@FltsimFlyboy

My template is bit outdated and there is better method for right rotary script.

Instead having all scripts in one file, separate them to own scripts and then in right rotary script call them. For example you would have script alt_inc with script that increases altitude, and same for hdg etc. Then in right rotary inc script you call that alt_inc script when left rotary is in alt position.

Here is example scripts for WT_CJ4 so you can see how it’s done.

https://github.com/blindye/aao_guides/blob/main/wt_cj4/WT_CJ4_v2_scripts.xml

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, FltsimFlyboy said:

@bLindyeThanks! This will make it much more manageable and easier to make changes. Earlier I couldn't figure out how to call scripts from other scripts - I understand how to do that now.

Yeah I believe it’s much better that way, 
especially with more complex scripts and if there’s scripts that sim processes directly (for example indexed variables).

Just for the info that if you have scripts which are not assigned to any buttons/knobs but are still in use, those will not be included in the template. So user needs to import scripts alongside of the template.

• Aerosoft

Just for info, if all of this looks intimidating to some, go over your fear and give AxisAndOhs a try.
It can unleash a whole world of possibilities going far beyond the simulators standard interfacing capabilities .

Here is a very easy tutorial to start to us AxisAndOhs and afterwards make use of FltsimFlyBoy great work for instance :

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

@FltsimFlyboyJust been trying your scripts with my Honeycomb Alpha/Bravo and everything seems to be working great, so many thanks for sharing your work.

One question, the only assignments I want on my Alpha are the light switches, AP disengage and Parking Brake. The rest I wish to remove, so my question is, do I have to edit both the template and script?

@Dave March Glad you find it useful :).

You do not need to manually edit the templates. What you can do is, once you have imported mine, remove the assignments that you do not want from the 'assigned buttons' list in AAO. Customize as per your needs and then save it as a new template. You can then apply your custom template to the other liveries.

You can leave the scripts imported as is, they won't be executed unless called explicitly by a specific assignment. 

• Like 1

Hello, thank you for your brilliant work and sharing!

I imported your template and found that the increment value when switched to accelation mode for ALT is 200, HDG is 12, are these values normal? If yes, is it possible to change ALT increment value to 1000 and HDG to 10 in accelation mode?

Thanks!

@asaboveatlantic Hi! I haven't been able to find a way to do fixed increments. The variable values that the CRJ uses for these increment/decrements are acceleration based. A value of 1 means the least acceleration, barely noticeable, starts off with the least possible change - 1deg, 100ft, etc., and if you can turn it consistently for some time, it picks up some acceleration. This is very hard to do on the bravo rotary. For the acceleration mode, I have set it to a value of 2, which has a slightly higher acceleration, and starts off with higher increments - 12deg, 200ft, etc. (why these values, I have no idea; my guess is that it follows some exponential curve). However, you'll notice that if you turn a bit faster, it picks up acceleration quite fast, and the increments are much higher.

I have experimented with other values, and I found 2 to be the most optimum. Any higher and the acceleration is way too fast - it only takes 4-5 quick turns to make the altitude go from 1000ft to 40000ft.

So, if you want the increments to be higher, turn the knob a bit faster in acceleration mode, then switch over to the normal mode and make fine adjustments.

Sorry, I know that it is not the answer you are looking for, but hopefully my explanation makes sense of the acceleration behavior.

Sidenote, if flicking the switch to change modes feels a bit odd, you can map it to the flap down button, since it is spring loaded. Set the Key Down event to the script AAO_RROT_ACCEL_on, and Key Up event to AAO_RROT_ACCEL_off. If you have it set like that, you can press and hold the flaps down and turn the knob for acceleration mode, and release the flaps to go back to normal mode. (Of course, you cannot use the flaps lever for the actual flaps operation, you need to use an axis for that.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chili said:

Unfortunately the latest WU4 update seems to have broken compatiblity with some WASM add-ons, including Axis and Ohs.  

Yes I have found the same, very unfortunate! This was an amazing compliment for the CRJ!

9 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

We are aware of this issue and will do what ever we can to assist to het this sorted out.

Thanks Mathijs. I, along with many others, have spent hours fine tuning our Axis and Ohs/Spad/Mobiflight templates for the CRJ (and other aircraft) and this bug has  certainly ruined my enjoyment of the sim...

Thanks for the template,works great,the only think I’ve notice is when pressing the NAV in the bravo the light in the NAV doesn’t turn on,the Head button light turns on instead,

is there a way to turn the NAV light on in the bravo when pressing it?

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Azorian77 Sorry for the delayed response. The lights on the bravo work based on the MSFS default autopilot states. The CRJ uses its own custom variables for controlling the autopilot, so the lights do not match up. I tried changing the json file for the Bravo bridge driver to read from those variables, but it seems like the driver cannot read from custom variables.

Probably the only way to get around this is to write a custom driver, or better yet, Aerosoft expands the functionality of the driver with LED profiles, etc. as in the X-Plane version.

• Like 2

Hello, this is so great! Thank you so much for this scripts!

Now I got my VR Insight MCP Combo also working with a bridge Lorby made.

The only thing is that my rotaries switches work with altitude inc and dec only they go really slow up and down.

I know that in LINDA there was a option for Inc slow and Inc fast for rotaries?

It only works when I slow dial the rotary, when fast dailing the rotary switch the green light also doesn't light up

Or do I do something else wrong?

There is already a code for the Lorby programm here:

https://axisandohs.weebly.com/uploads/6/0/8/2/60827113/basic_ap_setup_mcp_combo2.tmpl

But how to make it work with your CRJ script?

Gr.

Robert

So I got it to work!

What I did was merge the CRJ and MCP Combo templates and then change the key down event from the MCP Combo to the CRJ script one.

Now all rotaries are working perfectly in my MCP Combo!

If someone wants my CRJ template send me a PM.

Gr.

Robert

• Like 1

• Herman pinned this topic