Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ 550/700 - with cockpit animations and improved throttle binding

Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ 550/700

Hi! Here are a few Axis and Oh's templates for Aerosoft CRJ to use with the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle Quadrant.

The following templates are provided:

• ASCRJ_YOKE_HCALPHA
  • ASCRJ_TQ_HCBRAVO
  • ASCRJ_FCP_HCBRAVO

Additional RPN scripts are also provided to customize your hardware setup.

Link: Flightsim.to • Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ by FltsimFlyboy

Notable Features
  • Cockpit animations and sounds associated with hardware controls
  • Multiple interaction modals for controls - press, long press, press and hold, etc.
  • Autopilot Flight Control Panel support
  • Custom throttle lever bindings enabling SHUT OFF/IDLE movements
  • Custom reverser bindings to automatically stow and disengage reversers when the handles are released (without the need to wiggle the levers)

Improved Throttle Operation!

You need to use the commercial 2-engine setup for the levers on the TQ, using the middle two slots. Before starting the aircraft, move the throttle levers down to the detent button position. This corresponds to the throttle SHUT OFF position. When you need to introduce fuel to the engine, simply push forward the levers out from the detent position to the axis low position. This corresponds to clicking the red guards and moving the throttle to the IDLE position to introduce fuel. You will see the red locks disengaging automatically and the throttles moving to the IDLE position. To cut fuel and turn off the engines, move the throttle levers back to the detent position. You will see the red guards lifting automatically and throttles moving to the SHUT OFF position.

To engage the thrust reversers, pull the reverser handles back. This corresponds to setting the maximum reverse thrust. To disengage reverse thrust, just release the reverser handles. This will set the engines to IDLE, like in the real aircraft.

Note:  No axis bindings are provided as part of the template. You need to set up your axis bindings according to Aerosoft's recommendation for the CRJ in the MSFS controls settings.

GitHub Link for the project

GitHub - asmitde/axisandohs_templates: Scripts and templates for Axis and Oh's [MSFS]

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6
  • Upvote 2

Freaking AMAZING job.  I was actually wanting to do almost everything you have done here.  Thanks you so much.  You left me room to add more buttons too.  Just amazing.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

@Rick Kumar For the autopilot to work on the Bravo, make sure you have imported and applied the ASCRJ_FCP_HCBRAVO.tmpl as well; it contains the bindings for the autopilot. Also, the autopilot button does not disengage the autopilot - I have kept it like that since the click action in the cockpit on the AP ENG button works that way (only engage, not disengage); although I believe that it is a bug, and the real CRJ's button actually works like a toggle.

@Crabby What other buttons are you using in your templates? I have also been experimenting with the buttons on the left side panel (the ones that might be frequently used such as the nav source selector, bearing pointers, etc.) and some hard to reach ones like landing elevation selector on the upper overhead. I am a bit busy with work, but when I get a chance I'll upload them as well. 

@Mathijs Kok Thanks for the generosity :). I'll keep that in mind for future products.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

@FltsimFlyboy  On the Alpha I have the ALT button set to DC Service (for now, may change that to something I use more often).  The Bus1 Button is mapped to arm the Emergency Lights and the Bus2 is mapped to raise and lower the HUD

On the Bravo I am using a script from @bLindye to operate the Flaps axis with detents.  My generic buttons are set up from left to right as

Seat Belts

No Smoking

Dome Light

Cowl Anti Ice

Wing Anti Ice

Arm/Disarm Left Reverser

Arm/Disarm Right Reverser

One thing I have notice and happens to me no matter what script I use or how I map it, on initial load I get a "gear disagree' warning even though the gear handle is down.  It clears when I cycle the gear handle.  Not sure what is causing this.

• Aerosoft
On 5.4.2021 at 04:11, Crabby sagte:

@FltsimFlyboy 

One thing I have notice and happens to me no matter what script I use or how I map it, on initial load I get a "gear disagree' warning even though the gear handle is down.  It clears when I cycle the gear handle.  Not sure what is causing this.

Make sure not Gear assignment is present in the simulator controls configurations AND in your script.
This could lead to these discrepancies.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:05 PM, FltsimFlyboy said:

Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ 550/700

Hi! Here are a few Axis and Oh's templates for Aerosoft CRJ to use with the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle Quadrant.

The following templates are provided:

• ASCRJ_YOKE_HCALPHA
  • ASCRJ_TQ_HCBRAVO
  • ASCRJ_FCP_HCBRAVO

Additional RPN scripts are also provided to customize your hardware setup.

Link: Flightsim.to • Axis and Oh's Templates for Aerosoft CRJ by FltsimFlyboy

Notable Features
  • Cockpit animations and sounds associated with hardware controls
  • Multiple interaction modals for controls - press, long press, press and hold, etc.
  • Autopilot Flight Control Panel support
  • Custom throttle lever bindings enabling SHUT OFF/IDLE movements
  • Custom reverser bindings to automatically stow and disengage reversers when the handles are released (without the need to wiggle the levers)

Improved Throttle Operation!

You need to use the commercial 2-engine setup for the levers on the TQ, using the middle two slots. Before starting the aircraft, move the throttle levers down to the detent button position. This corresponds to the throttle SHUT OFF position. When you need to introduce fuel to the engine, simply push forward the levers out from the detent position to the axis low position. This corresponds to clicking the red guards and moving the throttle to the IDLE position to introduce fuel. You will see the red locks disengaging automatically and the throttles moving to the IDLE position. To cut fuel and turn off the engines, move the throttle levers back to the detent position. You will see the red guards lifting automatically and throttles moving to the SHUT OFF position.

To engage the thrust reversers, pull the reverser handles back. This corresponds to setting the maximum reverse thrust. To disengage reverse thrust, just release the reverser handles. This will set the engines to IDLE, like in the real aircraft.

Note:  No axis bindings are provided as part of the template. You need to set up your axis bindings according to Aerosoft's recommendation for the CRJ in the MSFS controls settings.

GitHub Link for the project

GitHub - asmitde/axisandohs_templates: Scripts and templates for Axis and Oh's [MSFS]

Thank you so much for this. The animation part of the scripts are amazing. I was wondering if you could help me. I'm trying to script the animation for the knobs on the Side Panel, (Format/Range, Height, Speeds etc) and I was trying to adapt the FCP scripts that you were using to try to get the animations to trigger when i rotate an encoder, however i can't seem to get them to work properly...any advice?

I can get the numbers to change but can't get the knobs to turn like they do on the FCP panel using your scripts. For example I tried this, it rotates the knob but not correctly, it spins once and then stops!

(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·10·+·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)·+·+·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)

Thanks for any advice you can give me

@daan_vb Try this for increment:

(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·10·+·dnor·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)·++·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)

and for decrement:

(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·10·-·dnor·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)·--·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)

It works like this:

ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE is the animation variable. You take the current value of the animation variable, add/subtract the rotation speed (10 degrees per click) and normalize (dnor) the value in positive degrees (0 - 359) - this is what you set to the animation variable.

ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE is the variable that actually sets the range value in the sim. You take the current value (which is almost always 0 when not changing), increment ++ /decrement -- by 1 to get the value 1/-1 which is what you set the variable to.

Also, make sure you are not leaving a space between the ++ operator. It is a unary operator meaning increment the previous operand by 1, as opposed to the + operator which is binary, meaning apply the operator between the previous two operands.

Hope that makes sense :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, FltsimFlyboy said:

@daan_vb Try this for increment:

(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·10·+·dnor·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)·++·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)

and for decrement:

(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·10·-·dnor·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE,·Number)·(L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)·--·(>L:ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE,·Number)

It works like this:

ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE is the animation variable. You take the current value of the animation variable, add/subtract the rotation speed (10 degrees per click) and normalize (dnor) the value in positive degrees (0 - 359) - this is what you set to the animation variable.

ASCRJ_LSP_RANGE_CHANGE is the variable that actually sets the range value in the sim. You take the current value (which is almost always 0 when not changing), increment ++ /decrement -- by 1 to get the value 1/-1 which is what you set the variable to.

Also, make sure you are not leaving a space between the ++ operator. It is a unary operator meaning increment the previous operand by 1, as opposed to the + operator which is binary, meaning apply the operator between the previous two operands.

Hope that makes sense :) 

Thanks for the help, I tried your script, unfortunately the knob only turns once (ie on the first 'click' of the knob) and then doesn't rotate any more, however numbers still increase.decrease. It was the same with he ladning elevation knob as well, roattes on the first click then stops...

53 minutes ago, daan_vb said:

Thanks for the help, I tried your script, unfortunately the knob only turns once (ie on the first 'click' of the knob) and then doesn't rotate any more, however numbers still increase.decrease. It was the same with he ladning elevation knob as well, roattes on the first click then stops...

Scratch that, its all started working fine now....not sure what I did!

Thanks again for your help on this!

• Like 1

@FltsimFlyboyThanks for the templates detailed readme file. All the button bindings seem to be working for both devices, including long presses. However, neither of the Bravo rotary knobs are working for me. The only thing assigned in MFSF are the axis you've listed in your documentation. I'm not a programmer so I don't really know what to check to confirm I didn't mess anything up during install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 hours ago, pokes116 said:

@FltsimFlyboyThanks for the templates detailed readme file. All the button bindings seem to be working for both devices, including long presses. However, neither of the Bravo rotary knobs are working for me. The only thing assigned in MFSF are the axis you've listed in your documentation. I'm not a programmer so I don't really know what to check to confirm I didn't mess anything up during install. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same problem. Just set this up today and everything is working (well, except the ALT light is always on and none of the other lights for AP functions do anything, but it works in sim)

@pokes116@Doc3d Once the aircraft is loaded and detected in AAO, click the green circle on the top to disconnect and then click it again to reconnect. Then on the Assigned Buttons pane, look for any entry for increment/decrement, for example, Heading increase. It looks like this:

Please login to display this image.

Set the left rotary and turn the right rotary to see if those green circles light up. If not, double click to open any of those and check if the key down event and button assignments are correct:

The Key down event is the script that gets triggered. Assigned combo is the button for the left rotary position and assigned button/key is the button for right rotary increase/decrease. Set them to the correct buttons. Let me know if that works.

Regarding the lights on the AP buttons, I have no control over those. The lights are activated by reading standard internal AP variables from the sim and set by the AFC_bridge. The CRJ uses their custom autopilot logic and hence does not use the standard AP variables. That's why the button lights may not tally with the actual buttons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have been finding its very hit or miss on whether the animations work....it seems to get stuck somewhere. I've had some luck by going into a script, editting it and then changing it back and this can sometimes bring it all back to life again....not an exact science yet though

I will try this tomorrow. I noticed before that there doesn’t seem to be any assignment for any of the ‘rotary’ buttons, but will try to reconnect

27 minutes ago, FltsimFlyboy said:

@pokes116@Doc3d Once the aircraft is loaded and detected in AAO, click the green circle on the top to disconnect and then click it again to reconnect. Then on the Assigned Buttons pane, look for any entry for increment/decrement, for example, Heading increase. It looks like this:

Set the left rotary and turn the right rotary to see if those green circles light up. If not, double click to open any of those and check if the key down event and button assignments are correct:

The Key down event is the script that gets triggered. Assigned combo is the button for the left rotary position and assigned button/key is the button for right rotary increase/decrease. Set them to the correct buttons. Let me know if that works.

Regarding the lights on the AP buttons, I have no control over those. The lights are activated by reading standard internal AP variables from the sim and set by the AFC_bridge. The CRJ uses their custom autopilot logic and hence does not use the standard AP variables. That's why the button lights may not tally with the actual buttons.

I noticed before that there doesn’t seem to be any assignments for the rotary buttons, but will try to reconnect and see if that helps. Have to wait for tomorrow, but will report back. Thanks for the help so far. 

@FltsimFlyboy Ok the green lights don't light up for anything that involves the rotaries. They light up for all other switches and buttons though. The button assignment is set up to match your picture. I've cleared the current config and started over a couple times. I haven't touched the script files. I've even unlinked all other mods except for the CRJ just because why not. I'm assuming I'm on the correct version of AAO since I downloaded it today.

@pokes116 This seems to be a AAO bug. When the template is initially applied/loaded, it doesn't detect the rotaries for some reason. Double click any of the assignments to open the change assignment window, and then close it. After that it detects the rotaries. Unfortunately, it is not always persistent. Every time AAO loads, you may need to do this.

@FltsimFlyboyThanks for the response and help. I was able to combine your template with bLindye's template from a different topic on here to get everything working. I'm not good enough with code to truly know the difference between the templates, but maybe this can help somebody if they run into the same issue.

• Thanks 1

• Herman pinned this topic