VGP mode when selecting APPR on an ILS?

Hello,

I've had this happen a few times now. When I'm on a heading to intercept the localizer I press APPR mode but instead of getting LOC1 and GS armed I get HDG and VGP as active modes. The LOC and GS do not arm. I don't remember each time it has happened but I do remember that it happened on the ILS 27 into KCVG and the ILS 33L into CYYZ.

For clarification, the correct localizer frequency is in and the approach is pulled from the FMS. I understand that VGP is a VNAV mode and each time this has happened I've been using coupled VNAV for the descent.

As a work around when this happens I've been using NAV mode and just tracking the localizer. Then I use VS mode to keep the plane on the GS. It works, but isn't exactly what I want to be doing.

Any suggestions?

If you moved into HDG Mode you may have deviated from the standard Approach...  If the NAV source is still on the FMS it might not auto sequence ...  also if you are still in VNAV that might be weird since you would want to do ALT Hold at the intercept altitude and Heading mode for your vector....   So that that point you would be able to change the NAV source to VOR/LOC 1 and then use APPR Mode....

23 hours ago, Secondator said:

Are you receiving signal from both LOC and G/S at the time you press APR?

Yep. With the blue preview needles visible before switching to green needles.

20 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

If you moved into HDG Mode you may have deviated from the standard Approach...  If the NAV source is still on the FMS it might not auto sequence ...  also if you are still in VNAV that might be weird since you would want to do ALT Hold at the intercept altitude and Heading mode for your vector....   So that that point you would be able to change the NAV source to VOR/LOC 1 and then use APPR Mode....

Nav source is green needles. ALTS mode is active. I flew the CRJ-200 for years in the real world so I promise you I know how to fly an ILS approach. I don't mean that to sound condescending. I appreciate your help. I only mention it to eliminate concerns about not having things set up correctly. Although I'm certainly not immune to brain farts!

• Deputy Sheriffs

It's weird one because it's not something we have seen on our tests that the VGP mode activates instead of the GS. But we'll keep eyes open if we can recreate it. Also if it happens to you again, please take a screenshot of the PFD (or even better video).

On 3/31/2021 at 5:36 PM, Chaxterium said:

Hello,

I've had this happen a few times now. When I'm on a heading to intercept the localizer I press APPR mode but instead of getting LOC1 and GS armed I get HDG and VGP as active modes. The LOC and GS do not arm. I don't remember each time it has happened but I do remember that it happened on the ILS 27 into KCVG and the ILS 33L into CYYZ.

For clarification, the correct localizer frequency is in and the approach is pulled from the FMS. I understand that VGP is a VNAV mode and each time this has happened I've been using coupled VNAV for the descent.

As a work around when this happens I've been using NAV mode and just tracking the localizer. Then I use VS mode to keep the plane on the GS. It works, but isn't exactly what I want to be doing.

Any suggestions?

I have just seen this behaviour.

Approaching EGHQ, ILS 110.5, (RW12,) tuned both sides. Select Appr and I see HDG VGP. ILS (LOC and GS dont arm). This after a full flight from EGNT using flight plan from SimBrief.

I tried again, just doing a take off and circuit from EGHQ and everyhting worked normally! Selected Appr and got LOC1 + GS.

So it appears to be an intermittant bug?

Ive even gone back to the initial install 1.0.0.0 to try to determine if the CRJ update did something?

Still intermittant bug in both 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.01.

I think its an Asobo bug. Ive been flying the CRJ for years in P3d and have no issues!

Thanks.

• 8 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 10:25 PM, Secondator said:

Hello herky20, thanks for the report. We'll keep eyes open for this one if we see it during our tests as well.

Is this something you have on your list? When I’m in VNAV + APPR ( blue needles) the NAV source don’t switch automatically and it will not go to GS. 
When approaching IAF I have to turn off VNAV, click APPR again and switch to NAV source from FMS source manually. It will then intercept GS and decent.

• 2 months later...
On 4/1/2021 at 9:43 PM, herky20 said:

I have just seen this behaviour.

Approaching EGHQ, ILS 110.5, (RW12,) tuned both sides. Select Appr and I see HDG VGP. ILS (LOC and GS dont arm). This after a full flight from EGNT using flight plan from SimBrief.

I tried again, just doing a take off and circuit from EGHQ and everyhting worked normally! Selected Appr and got LOC1 + GS.

So it appears to be an intermittant bug?

Ive even gone back to the initial install 1.0.0.0 to try to determine if the CRJ update did something?

Still intermittant bug in both 1.0.0.0 and 1.0.01.

I think its an Asobo bug. Ive been flying the CRJ for years in P3d and have no issues!

Thanks.

This is a definate bug!

I can not fly the Aerosoft CRJ because I can not tune ILS...I can only get VGP??? This is not requested from MCDU..I want ILS Nothing else.

Please sort this bug its horrible!

ILS is tuned, Appr is armed yet it goes to VGP and NOTHING IS TRACKED...NOTHING!

ITS A BIG BUG!

Thank you for yor attention.

Best regards.

On 4/6/2021 at 9:25 PM, Secondator said:

Hello herky20, thanks for the report. We'll keep eyes open for this one if we see it during our tests as well.

VGP still evident after APPR and expecting LOC/GS?

LOC/GS after Appr dont engage?

Hard to tell on your video but it looks like you have VNAV on, I do not use VNAV and have never seen this. Try using the VNAV until you get to just prior to the GS Intercept altitude, turn off VNAV, and then select APP and see if that gives you the proper GS capture. In addition it looks like your Vspeeds are not all showing, and your flaps are not in normal landing configuration, I doubt these have anything to do with the VGP, just an observation. 

4 hours ago, Jeremy Jeffreys said:

Hard to tell on your video but it looks like you have VNAV on, I do not use VNAV and have never seen this. Try using the VNAV until you get to just prior to the GS Intercept altitude, turn off VNAV, and then select APP and see if that gives you the proper GS capture. In addition it looks like your Vspeeds are not all showing, and your flaps are not in normal landing configuration, I doubt these have anything to do with the VGP, just an observation. 

Please se my comments some posts above where this is commented.

The thing is that VNAV should be a viable mode to be in as well.

I don't fly any CRJs equipped with the coupled VNAV option, but do have the documentation available for it. Browsing through that it should be possible to do your descent in NAV & VNAV and arm APPR mode. It will capture the LOC first and when it then captures the GS after, it should disable VNAV mode. It should switch by itself to GS active on the FMA, not remain in VGP. 

So I think you can definitely add this to the list of bugs.

Archived