CRJ 1.0.0.1 Update - My experience

stopnicki

Hello folks:

The CRJ's update is great.

It has improved the performance of my Honeycomb Bravo throttles, that now work without the oscillating N1's.

There are a few issues that still puzzle me. They might be simulator-related, which means that Aerosoft will not be able to fix or adjust them, until MSFS is improved.

This is what I encountered on my first flight with the updated CRJ.

1) My Honeywell Bravo throttles now work well, when I need to make small adjustments.

2) I needed TOGA power, all the way up to FL290 (the airplane was not heavy and well within the load diagram), to achieve a reasonable climb rate about +900 fpm on A/P at a climb speed of 190 kts. Any higher speed, and the climb rate got as far down as +100fpm! 

I couldn't reduce power to CLB, because the airplane couldn't keep the selected speed and climb. I needed CLB power to increase speed to 0.74, only then was I able to reduce it slightly into the MAN range, although it needed increasing to CLB quite often.

3) The selected airspeed magenta number at the bottom of the speed tape, did not change to "0.74" when reaching the selected cruise FL.

4) The ToD indicator in the MFD (the green data, telling you how long and how far you are from the ToD) froze at "0.0/29NM".

The ToD green circle in the MFD showed up at the right spot, and the "snowflake" and the VSI blue circle indicator, were also there when the airplane got to the ToD circle in the MFD, but the TOD green time/distance numbers stayed frozen and in the MFD.

5) Upon intercept of the G/S of the ILS, the airplane started its descent correctly, but after descending 400-500 feet, it levelled off and abandoned the G/S tracking.

I'll keep testing, to see if all of these were "one time" anomalies, or if they are persistent.

In any event, if an Aerosoft staff member is reading this: "Thank you!"

Regards,
Roberto

2 hours ago, stopnicki said:

2) I needed TOGA power, all the way up to FL290 (the airplane was not heavy and well within the load diagram), to achieve a reasonable climb rate about +900 fpm on A/P at a climb speed of 190 kts. Any higher speed, and the climb rate got as far down as +100fpm! 

I couldn't reduce power to CLB, because the airplane couldn't keep the selected speed and climb. I needed CLB power to increase speed to 0.74, only then was I able to reduce it slightly into the MAN range, although it needed increasing to CLB quite often.

Regards,
Roberto

This sounds like pilot error, you are climbing much too slow and you'll never recover once you get under the curve.  You should be speed climb at the 250kt limit or close to it, I usually do 245kts up to 10k, and then you should adjust speed to climb at 290-320kts up to your cruise altitude.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Roberto, if you haven't already viewed at least once (or more) Frank's (aka The Dude's) videos, be sure to do so. Lot's of small hints that add up to a big gain in understanding and that aren't noted in the tutorial flight in Volume 3 of the manuals. Come fly with me, by The Dude - AEROSOFT COMMUNITY SERVICES

Thank you Anthony. I was more careful with my initial speeds on my second flight, and climb was better.

It is possible that my first experience was not fair to the aircraft, as I was trying for the first time as I was looking (also for the first time)  at new sceneries in the Andes mountains, high altitude airports!!

Herman. I have watched the videos so many times that my wife also wants to watch them, just to see what "is so special about them!!"  🙂 🙂 

These are great videos and I know what I know about the CRJ, only because of them.

I will, eventually, get "very good" with the CRJ!

Keep enjoying it and keep safe, everybody.

Regards,

Roberto

7 minutes ago, stopnicki said:

Herman. I have watched the videos so many times that my wife also wants to watch them, just to see what "is so special about them!!"

Hehehe, the videos are good but there is just too much detail in this bird for it to be 100%. That is understandable, especially when there is time constraints for certain actions that aren't visible to us because a professional pilot is flying in the video. He does it so smoothly! Even reading the tutorial was a bit laborious for me (too old, my attention wanders) so I ended up getting most of my hints from the forums myself.

The speed one sounds like a setup issue. I've not had that one. But the others sounds like real bugs. The fact that a value was frozen would seem to indicate that something was no longer being calculated (stalled thread maybe) so I'm not surprised there were other issues.

I recommend, if you can, to:

1. After setting up the FMS, save the plan so if you need to you can add it to the bug report.

2. Video the flight! I know not everyone can but if at all possible! The frozen value could be missed by many others but may be an important hint. I video makes all this easier to spot.

Pictures are better than nothing but without the detailed setup info it is easy to assume something wasn't configured right.

The problem with complex addons...

I think the fact that many of us don't fly it perfectly adds to a lot of confusion and issues. Does a real pilot know what happens if we do things differently, too early, too late, etc? I doubt experimenting with the controls or systems is encouraged in the real jets! So it makes me wonder, are some of the things we see bugs? Or is it how the plane would react to a non-professional flying it? If the simulation is reasonably accurate at all then it should be the latter. But factor into that that Aerosoft doesn't do failures then anything too far out of the norm may just not be implemented so it could be the former.

I'm a programmer myself, I like to think of these things. 🙂

1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

(too old, my attention wanders)

I don't want to brag, but I am sure mine wanders more!! 🙂😉

That is why I watched Frank's videos so many times!

16 hours ago, stopnicki said:
3) The selected airspeed magenta number at the bottom of the speed tape, did not change to "0.74" when reaching the selected cruise FL.

Has been brought up a few times now, so just to be clear... This is not a bug, this is actually how the real plane works.

The way it acted before the update was the bug. In the real plane you monitor your speed in IAS until you reach your desired Mach number and then switch over manually by pressing the center button on the speed knob. Or you keep climbing in IAS up to 31600ft where the avionics will automatically switch to Mach number (same altitude that half bank comes on automatically).

Archived