Single-aisle Airbuses crash to the ground immediately after retard

Hello,

I need help how to properly land the small buses in P3D v4. I had no probelm in FSX, most of my landings where between -100 and -150 fpm. However, with the Airbus Pro series in P3D I can hardly make better than -300 fpm.

I tried everything I could think of so far: I tried to land with and without autothrottle, I also tried to increase Vapp from Vls+5 to Vls+10 but nothing did help. Whenever I retard the throttles, the plane immediately falls to the ground. Pulling back the yoke does not help. My speed is far above stall speed. Here are two line from the log of my last flight (disregard the time stamps, these entries are generated at the moment of touch down):

[09:13:48] Alt: 10 ft, airspeed: 133 kts, vertical speed: -111 fpm, pitch: 4, roll: level, gear: down
[09:13:48] Alt: 0 ft, airspeed: 128 kts, vertical speed: -299 fpm, pitch: 5, roll: 1 degrees right, gear: down

Calculated Vls was 129 kts, I increased Vapp from 134 to 140 kts. I retarded the throttles at 10 feet. You can see that actual Vls is 128 kts, which is far above stall speed (because it is only  1 kts less than the calculated one). You can also see that I tried to increase the pitch. It did not help, my vertical speed tripled.

Once I spoke to real-world pilots about retarding the throttles, they said that they retard it before the announcement (which happens at 20 feet). I also read somewhere that they do  it at 30 feet. Once I tried it and the plane fell down from 25 feet, resulting in almost -500 fpm.

What do I wrong? How to properly land these planes with an acceptable landing rate? Strangely, this does not happen with the A330, but with all of the small buses.

8 hours ago, Balogh Ádám said:

Once I spoke to real-world pilots about retarding the throttles, they said that they retard it before the announcement (which happens at 20 feet). I also read somewhere that they do  it at 30 feet. Once I tried it and the plane fell down from 25 feet, resulting in almost -500 fpm.

I understand it's difficult for non-pilots who are also new flight simmers to understand this, but this is just not helpful.  There are quite a few things which are taken into account when determining your reference and approach speeds, so asking an operator which speed they land at or when the retard thrust levers (thrust levers for het aircraft, throttles for props) is one of those "garbage in, garbage out" type questions and answers.

The flight dynamic profiles for the Aerosoft Airbus' are pretty good, so we can rule those out for the issues you are having.  If you can make a short video of your landing, being careful to show us the following (and you and pause the simulator to help get all the information shown on the video), we should be able to help you figure this out fairly quickly. Before we do this, let's be sure you set the aircraft up for takeoff and landing properly.

1. Did you import/enter all the values in the MCDU #2 Load and Fuel Page?

2. Did you import/enter the values in the MCDU#1

3. Prior to starting the approach, did you enter all the values in the MCDU #1 Approach (APPR) Page?  These are required to obtain reasonable V Speeds.

4. What type of Approach are you doing? 

5. Even though it may not be used in real life, you might consider doing an Autoland a few times and watch the instruments and displays to get a feel for a textbook ILS/Autoland Approach so you'll have a general idea of what they should look like for a manual approach.

VIDEO

1. Keep in mind that the instruments and displays are more important for us to see than seeing out the windscreen (windshield) and seeing the approach path/runway, so focus on the instruments as much as possible.

2. A good, readable view of the Primary Flight Display (PFD) and Navigation Display (ND), and Flight Control Unit (FCU), and undocked MCDU showing the INIT A and B pages, runway selection (APPROACH VIAS), and Approach (APPR) Page.

If you need any help with the terminology or any of the dispays/instruments please see Volumes 4 and 6 of the documentation.

Look forward to hearing back from you!

Archived