Faulty wiring? PFD, NAV1/2 and CRS1/2 issues

WF971

Hello. I did not find this issue brought up in the general chat, nor in the other support threads. (Thankfully there weren't too many to search manually).

With the exception of CRS2 selector knob, I am referring to the left-hand side of the cockpit PFDs here. I've not done any checks on the right set of PFDs.

Expected behaviour: With all systems nominal; setting NAV 2 for a VOR frequency in range which is NOT shared by NAV 1; selecting PFD NAV SOURCE to NAV 2; and adjusting CRS2: 1) the PFD compass roses should change their orientation, 2) the CRS value in PFD should change, and 3) the centerline changes its position once we are near/over the correct radial.

Observed: The compass roses will not change their orientation, only the right PFD CRS value changes its value, and the radial is never picked up.

The expected behaviour is only observed when NAV1 and NAV2 are the same. I say "expected" but it's misleading.

For instance, set NAV1/2 to the same frequency; then verify selecting NAV SOURCE VOR1 that you can alter the course using CRS 1. As expected, compass roses in both PFDs and the CRS values in both PFDs changes. Select, instead, NAV SOURCE VOR 2. Now alter the course using CRS 1, and both compass roses, but only rght PFD CRS value will change. Using CRS 2, the left PFD CRS value will change.

There seems to be a small issue here of programming variable references crossing one another, but it's so confusing that I don't want to think much about it. :) I suspect this might be the source of an issue I once observed during approach, whereby the PFD roses will sometimes toggle between different radials, as if the course selector is in two positions.

Otherwise enjoying the heck out of this aircraft, thank you so much!

• 3 months later...

As of 05 this does not appear to be resolved.

A quick glance at the NAV SRC of the PF/PM, and a glance at the frequencies for NAV 1 and 2, should illustrate that the crossed wiring persists.

There is one snag related to reproducing this: So long as both signals are received it is possible to experience a certain flicker between the PFD's functionality, such that they momentarily appear to behave correctly. For the majority of the time though, especially if you wiggle around the frequencies for NAV 1/2, it should be readily reproducible. 

Please login to display this image.

• 3 months later...

I believe this has yet to be solved. If anyone knows it to be a CRJ feature then by all means clue me in. :)

I didn't check whether there is still 'jumping', I just confirmed that values are still in the wrong places. In the first picture the PFD's yellow VOR2 course (355) is different from the MFD's yellow VOR2 course (298). That's because the PFD course is using the copilot's CRS2 value.

Please login to display this image.

Archived