Flap Logic

CRJay

Noticed that the flap logic seems to be off. When selecting flap 8 from clean, or going to flap 30, the slats should extend first before the flaps start moving. In the sim slats and flaps move at the same time. Relatively minor, but as it might affect aerodynamics, probably good to get right.

Flap 1 - first stage slats only

Flap 8 - flap movement only (going from clean to flap 8 as is common -> slat first, flap when slats are in position)

Flap 20 - flap movement only

Flap 30 - second stage slats extend first, then flaps to 30

Flap 45 - flap movement only

I'll try to find some documentation to support it, but other rated and current pilots/mechanics should be able to confirm this, I see it every flight. 

On 3/27/2021 at 12:34 PM, CRJay said:

Noticed that the flap logic seems to be off. When selecting flap 8 from clean, or going to flap 30, the slats should extend first before the flaps start moving. In the sim slats and flaps move at the same time. Relatively minor, but as it might affect aerodynamics, probably good to get right.

Flap 8 - flap movement only (going from clean to flap 8 as is common -> slat first, flap when slats are in position)

I'll try to find some documentation to support it, but other rated and current pilots/mechanics should be able to confirm this, I see it every flight. 

This one's known, all the RW beta testers have poked the devs about this one. As Mathis said, we're stuck for now 

On 3/27/2021 at 2:34 PM, CRJay said:

Should be mentioned for when the time comes that some of the older 900's (I'm not 100% sure on the 700's) do have slat movement between flaps 8 and 20 instead of between flaps 20 and 30. That is one of the things that as been changed over the years with the CRJ.

• 1 month later...
On 3/28/2021 at 10:12 PM, Matthew2312 said:

Should be mentioned for when the time comes that some of the older 900's (I'm not 100% sure on the 700's) do have slat movement between flaps 8 and 20 instead of between flaps 20 and 30. That is one of the things that as been changed over the years with the CRJ.

Indeed the older 7's and 9's would have slats 25 deploy when selected flaps 20, this is actually something carriers can go in and change for fleet commonality (my old regional went in a tweaked this so all the aircraft deployed slats on the "new" schedule). Created a great rumble having slats 25 out at flaps 20 on the older ones though :)

Hopefully this is something the simulator frees up for the team in the future!

On 3/27/2021 at 3:34 PM, CRJay said:

This has been fixed in the update. The correct deployment sequence for slats and flaps is now implemented, as well as realistic extend/retract times. Now, if you go to directly to flaps 8, the slats extend to first position, and only then do the flaps move. Slats go to second position on selection of flaps 30 etc. Also, the aerodynamic effect of extending flaps has been much improved due to the implementation of realistic extend times. Going to flaps 45 on final approach no longer causes a sudden speed loss as if the airplane flew into a wall of molasses.

It was originally thought it was not possible to do this, but Hans and Alexander (our FDE guru), found a way.

I know everyone is anxious to get the update. I would expect that Mathijs will have an official announcement about the update schedule/availability once Asobo releases SU4 on the 25th.

Archived