Cannot activate Yaw Dampers when starting from Cold & Dark

ozzie_expat

If I commence flight from turnaround state, I'm able to correctly activate Yaw Dampers.

If I start the flight from Cold & Dark state however, the Yaw Dampers will not activate at any stage. Stabilizer and Mach Trims both engage successfully. But no matter what I do, I cannot get the Yaw Damper warning to disappear off the CAS, and the autopilot will not engage either since the Yaw Dampers need be activated first.

I always start for cold and dark and had this issue exactly once, yesterday.

The one thing I did differently was try to activate them before both engines were running and stable.

My current hypothesis is that because there are two buttons, and we can't see if they are on or off, it is possible to have one of them off when we think they are on. Because we don't know which one is off we start pressing away and it doesn't seem to work (I'm assuming they are a toggle). In the end I did manage to get it enabled on that flight. Somehow.

So, I *think* the issue is simply that we can't see the state of the switches. I should think they light up or have a recessed pressed state so real pilots can know.

Oh, I tried hitting disconnect but it didn't help. So I'm not sure if it does anything.

Unfortunately I didn't check for the little yellow YD on the PFD while I was doing this so that might have saved me some time. It might have went out on one of my random button presses.

They don't have any lights. The indications are on the EICAS. With neither engaged you will have the YAW DAMPER caution message indicating neither channel is engaged. When you engage one channel, it should switch over to a status message saying the other channel is inop ("YD 1 INOP" or "YD 2 INOP").

7 minutes ago, CRJay said:

They don't have any lights. The indications are on the EICAS. With neither engaged you will have the YAW DAMPER caution message indicating neither channel is engaged. When you engage one channel, it should switch over to a status message saying the other channel is inop ("YD 1 INOP" or "YD 2 INOP").

Thanks. I didn't notice them but they were probably there so not obvious to see.

12 hours ago, Thx1137 said:

(I'm assuming they are a toggle). 

They don't toggle actually. There is a separate disengage button right next to the two yaw damper buttons. So pushing the engage buttons simply engages them. Pushing them again does nothing. Also, just to be sure, we absolutely do know whether they're engaged or not. If neither yaw damper is engaged you'll get the YD on the PFD and you'll get the YAW DAMPER message on the right EICAS screen. If only one yaw damper is engaged you will see a white YD 1 (2) INOP message on the right EICAS screen. There will be no YD on the PFD. If both are engaged then you'll see nothing.

9 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

There is a separate disengage button right next to the two yaw damper buttons

Ah, thanks, I had wondered. The issue with a sim is that it is no uncommon for bits not to be modeled. But it shows how much I pay attention to each EICAS message doesn't it 🙂

Hey don't feel bad. Unless you're typed in this plane it's really easy to miss these things. Each manufacturer (Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier) all seem to have their own language when it comes to how they like to display certain things and the nomenclature they like to use. And aside from that, most buttons are indeed toggle buttons so why wouldn't the yaw damper button be the same? It's a natural expectation.

From my experience with this plane I'm convinced that when the engineers were designing this plane they had things set up perfectly and intuitively and then some schmuck came by and said "Nah. That's just too easy. Let's change a few things just to keep them on their toes".

Another bit of trivia. The CRJ 700 and 900 can be dispatched with one inoperative yaw damper as long as the other one is working. The CRJ 200 cannot. Both yaw dampers have to be working on the 200 or the aircraft is grounded until the problem is fixed.

Though the real 700/900 autopilot will engage with only one yaw damper active, I am not sure if the sim version models that, or if it requires both YD to be on. I never thought to test that, but will on my next flight.

In all CRJs, the IRUs must be fully aligned for either yaw damper to engage. Entering the current position in the FMS is not enough - the alignment must be complete, with the normal blue over brown attitude display active on the pilot and copilot PFDs. This is modeled in the sim version.

The yaw dampers, stab trim switches and Mach trim would all normally be engaged before engine start. This is done to insure there are no faults in the systems. Better to find out if there is a malfunction before engine start, than after the aircraft has pushed back from the gate. All three systems are electrically actuated and do not require hydraulic power. 

Another bit of trivia. On the CRJ-200 the number 2 yaw damper always drops offline during engine start and has to be re-engaged after both engines are running. This does not happen on the 700/900.

24 minutes ago, JRBarrett said:

Another bit of trivia. On the CRJ-200 the number 2 yaw damper always drops offline during engine start and has to be re-engaged after both engines are running. This does not happen on the 700/900.

Yep. This became muscle memory pretty quickly. Although interestingly enough not all of our 200s did this.

I have to say, my favourite part of this thread is that not a single person has typed "yaw dampener". That is one of my biggest pet peeves! I cringe every time I hear a professional pilot say this; and it happens a lot more than you'd think.

On 3/27/2021 at 8:41 PM, ozzie_expat said:

I had a brief moment of hope, but alas, I checked and IRS alignment is still set to instant

That's good. But were they actually aligned? Was the ADI showing? I had a situation earlier today where the IRSs wouldn't align despite being set to instant. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, Chaxterium said:

I have to say, my favourite part of this thread is that not a single person has typed "yaw dampener". That is one of my biggest pet peeves! I cringe every time I hear a professional pilot say this; and it happens a lot more than you'd think.

Hey, it's an easy mistake to make for an Aussie like me. We're used to saying things like: Give me some of 'your damper'
https://www.taste.com.au/recipes/damper/80391c40-8eab-4e67-9cfc-0c802f9fb7a1

• 5 months later...
On 3/28/2021 at 10:13 PM, Chaxterium said:

Yep. This became muscle memory pretty quickly. Although interestingly enough not all of our 200s did this.

You know what makes someone a professional don't you???

They got a Paycheck ;) ..... Does not mean they were an expert or the top of the class ....

Archived