Illegible cockpit display fonts

My default cockpit camera position is set to that specified by the "three-ball" eyepoint gauge between the two windshield panels, i.e., only the left hand ball and the center ball are visible with the right hand ball hidden behind the center. The zoom level is set to 50%. My hardware includes a GTX1080 GPU and standard 1080P HD monitor.

The relevant cockpit displays are shown in the following figure:

Please login to display this image.

From the default position most all of the letters and numbers on the various display panels seem illegible. If I increase the zoom setting to ca. 65-70%, the situation improves, with a significant reduction in field of view. Does the legibility improve for high resolution monitors, or is something wrong with my graphics settings?

BTW, this image was captured at a MEDIUM setting for the graphics. I have tried both the HIGH END and ULTRA settings, but the legibility at the default zoom doesn't improve.

With thanks in advance.

Thanks for the response.

It's a 23 inch HD screen, an ASUS VX238. I don't understand how scaling up the size of the screen would make a difference. Even if it were physically twice as large, there would still only be the same number of pixels so long it's just HD. However, I do see how scaling up the resolution, for example to UHD would then make a  difference. Is that what it will take?

Cheers and congratulations on creating a truly impressive product.

You have an excellent point, Mathijs, so I did some experimentation. I believe that my graphics settings from W10 on up to MSFS is correctly set to 1920x1080, because I also use this system for my photography work, and I have never had a problem with resolution.

So I looked a bit more closely at the impact of increasing the MSFS render scaling setting and its interaction with antialiasing choices. Certainly when I lower the render scaling below 100%, the entire scene including the cockpit panels look blurry as expected. Increasing the render scaling to 200 (corresponding to 4K) significantly improves the appearance of the panels to the extent that I can turn off antialiasing entirely. Render scaling settings above 100 result in super sampling of the rendering, so further AA isn't necessary. Unfortunately, my GTX 1080 GPU pins at 100% utilization, which seems undesirable.

As an intermediate choice, I selected a render scaling of 150 (corresponding to 2K)  along with FXAA antialiasing, and that gives me a good compromise. The panels are clearly legible at a zoom of 65% and are just readable at 50%, so I would call that good enough. GPU utilization is running around 70%, so I'll give this a try.

In the meanwhile, I wonder if I might ask if other users reading this post have had a similar experience with panel legibility on normal HD 1920x1080 screens.

Thanks again.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:49 AM, CaptJohn said:

You have an excellent point, Mathijs, so I did some experimentation. I believe that my graphics settings from W10 on up to MSFS is correctly set to 1920x1080, because I also use this system for my photography work, and I have never had a problem with resolution.

So I looked a bit more closely at the impact of increasing the MSFS render scaling setting and its interaction with antialiasing choices. Certainly when I lower the render scaling below 100%, the entire scene including the cockpit panels look blurry as expected. Increasing the render scaling to 200 (corresponding to 4K) significantly improves the appearance of the panels to the extent that I can turn off antialiasing entirely. Render scaling settings above 100 result in super sampling of the rendering, so further AA isn't necessary. Unfortunately, my GTX 1080 GPU pins at 100% utilization, which seems undesirable.

As an intermediate choice, I selected a render scaling of 150 (corresponding to 2K)  along with FXAA antialiasing, and that gives me a good compromise. The panels are clearly legible at a zoom of 65% and are just readable at 50%, so I would call that good enough. GPU utilization is running around 70%, so I'll give this a try.

In the meanwhile, I wonder if I might ask if other users reading this post have had a similar experience with panel legibility on normal HD 1920x1080 screens.

Thanks again.

I have a 27" 1080p monitor with 100 render scaling and TAA AA. I have had no issues reading the displays. they are a bit small, but still readable. 

4 hours ago, HornetAircraft said:

I have a 27" 1080p monitor with 100 render scaling and TAA AA. I have had no issues reading the displays. they are a bit small, but still readable. 

What is the zoom setting at which the wide camera is set?

Archived