There is something wrong with the throttle mapping on this plane.

1 hour ago, NineMile said:

I do not understand why they are reluctant to tell us yes we understand the problem and we are working on it. Instead they tell us there are no problems then the tell us to run their throttle program knowing nothing is working? Must be pride I hope they change their attitude in the future.

Because the aircraft is a great achievement but if the throttles don't work we don't have an aircraft.

On the positive side let's wait for the fix.

Thank you

It is pretty easy to understand actually. The aircraft works fine unless the someone (IE: you) had a control conflict. Is that Aerosofts faults and could they be expected to know when so many of us don't seem to have an issue? It is obvious that if it works for them and it works for must of us then it is an issue with *your system*. Are they responsible for that? Are Asobo? Are you? In my opinion all three are responsible though to what extent is arguable.

Given the above your disrespect for them is completely unfounded. How much did you try to actually *prove* you "did everything" as some often say. If it was working for others then clearly "not everything was done".

So many people complain and assume that if there is something wrong for them then it is someone else fault, even if so many others have no issue. I don't get that. Why not try to investigate why your experience is different and try to help instead of expecting the devs to magically understand why you have an issue and so many others don't?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

Why not try to investigate why your experience is different

On this case it's quite simple, If you don't have issue with other MSFS planes and you follow the 0-100% throttle axis, then it's the CRJ problem.

You need to understand that people on this thread like myself, can't fly the CRJ because of this issue, hence the frustration. It has been fixed for nearly two weeks, but us users still need to wait, why not releasing a hotfix for this?

On 4/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, JRBarrett said:

For those having issues with fluctuating N1 and poor throttle response, I am happy to report that this problem appears to have been definitively solved. Apparently the MSFS native throttle axis processing and the CRJ custom axis processing have been fighting each other.

Best analogy I can think of is that it would be like when you lower the temperature on your home heater thermostat, and the moment you sit down, your wife gets up and puts it right back where it was. Rinse, lather, repeat...

Hans has found a way to give the CRJ exclusive control of the throttle axes without interference from MSFS’s own axis processing. It is working very well indeed, and throttle control is now absolutely stable.

Thx1137 should have read the whole thread. Like many others Im waiting for the fix since I can't fly the CRJ with that issue (spent 2 hours to try to fix it by myself and I still can't set a power setting with a precision under 20%N1...)

And we don't care whose fault ;) we just hope Aerosoft will share a fix asap

it is obvious that thx1137 does not know what he is talking about. Because the conflict is between the Microsoft controller and Aerosoft controller. You should go back to flight school before you submit your crazy answers. 

I just want to make sure I'm understanding how this is supposed to work. N1 is basically just the percentage of maximum thrust, correct? I haven't seen any wild swings, but I notice that if I'm slightly above or below my targeted speed and make a small correction to try to fix it, the response doesn't seem to be linear. For example, if I'm at 70% N1 and move my throttle up slightly, it will often fluctuate down a bit instead to around 67% and then I will have to move it further forward to actually increase thrust. I assume this is not the correct behavior but please let me know if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Aplato said:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding how this is supposed to work. N1 is basically just the percentage of maximum thrust, correct? 

Not quite. N1 is the speed (in percentage of its maximum rpm) of the low pressure section of the engine which includes the large compressor (typically called the fan) at the front of the engine. So if we assume that the maximum rpm of the fan is 10,000rpm, then an N1 setting of 67% would equate to an rpm setting of 6700rpm. N1 is the primary thrust setting source on the CRJ so we think of it as thrust but it's really just fan speed. Interesting to note, when talking about airplane engines, the letter N usually refers to speed. So N1 is the speed of the low pressure section, N2 is the speed of the high pressure section. Some engines (the RB211 being an example) have three spools so they actually have an N3 as well.

And no, the way the N1 reacts to thrust lever movement in the sim is not how the real plane works. The real plane is MUCH more stable than this. If you move the thrust levers up in the real plane, the N1 will never drop initially and then increase. It reacts immediately (and correctly) to thrust lever movement. 

1 minute ago, Chaxterium said:

Not quite. N1 is the speed (in percentage of its maximum rpm) of the low pressure of the engine which includes the large turbine (typically called the fan) at the front of the engine. So if we assume that the maximum rpm of the fan is 10,000rpm, then an N1 setting of 67% would equate to an rpm setting of 6700rpm. N1 is the primary thrust setting source on the CRJ so we think of it as thrust but it's really just fan speed. Interesting to note, when talking about airplane engines, the letter N usually refers to speed. So N1 is the speed of the low pressure section, N2 is the speed of the high pressure section. Some engines (the RB211 being an example) have three spools so they actually have an N3 as well.

And no, the way the N1 reacts to thrust lever movement in the sim is not how the real plane works. The real plane is MUCH more stable than this. If you move the thrust levers up in the real plane, the N1 will never drop initially and then increase. It reacts immediately (and correctly) to thrust lever movement. 

Excellent, thank you for the clarification. I'm optimistic this will be addressed in the next patch which will hopefully help me control my speeds better as that's been a struggle so far.

44 minutes ago, Aplato said:

Excellent, thank you for the clarification. I'm optimistic this will be addressed in the next patch which will hopefully help me control my speeds better as that's been a struggle so far.

It's been a struggle for me too, and I flew the thing in real life! One of the mods (I can't remember who) stated that the issue has been fixed and the thrust levers are rock solid now and once the new update is released it should be good to go. Hopefully that's the case and hopefully the update is released soon.

Same issue here on v1.0.0.1, N1 goes in opposite direction of requested first for small adjustments and then requires additional input to correct (and overshoot). Not having that issue with the free Working Title CJ4. Hardware is CH yoke with pro pedals. 

Following informations from Crabby (thread "AAO experts..."), my throttle is now working flawlessly after buying AxisAndOhs (18€) and set it up (MSFS event THROTTLE_AXIS_SET_EX1).

Edit : it seems the problem is still present... looks like throttle hardware is ultra noisy (only with this aircraft on this simulator), at idle if I only touch my throttle (no travel) there are variations from 21%N1 to 26%N1

6 hours ago, sikimic said:

Following informations from Crabby (thread "AAO experts..."), my throttle is now working flawlessly after buying AxisAndOhs (18€) and set it up (MSFS event THROTTLE_AXIS_SET_EX1).

Edit : it seems the problem is still present... looks like throttle hardware is ultra noisy (only with this aircraft on this simulator), at idle if I only touch my throttle (no travel) there are variations from 21%N1 to 26%N1

What controller?  I always found Saitek units to over time get real "noisy"... and so you have to create dead zones and Data change events( I have no idea is AAO can do that.. I use something else) that require a certain amount of change before it  sends it through as an event...

2 hours ago, bendead said:

That sucks that it does not work, but this software might be useful for other things

What does not work?  

1 minute ago, Crabby said:

AAO and the other similar offerings work with any plane 

But, he bought it exclusively as a way to make the throttle on the CRJ work, and it did not solve the problem.

Just now, bendead said:

But, he bought it exclusively as a way to make the throttle on the CRJ work, and it did not solve the problem.

Don’t know what to tell you. With MY system and with MY controllers it works without flaw. My controllers are the HC Alpha and Bravo. Also I use a keyboard profile that only has an assignment for outside view.  My in sim controller profiles are blank except for hat switch assignments to view positions. I literally control NOTHING from inside the sim. 

1 minute ago, Crabby said:

Don’t know what to tell you. With MY system and with MY controllers it works without flaw. My controllers are the HC Alpha and Bravo. Also I use a keyboard profile that only has an assignment for outside view.  My in sim controller profiles are blank except for hat switch assignments to view positions. I literally control NOTHING from inside the sim. 

Good for you, if it solves your problems.

But, I won't spend 20 bucks, on a software I have no use for, just for a single addon.

Just now, bendead said:

But, I won't spend 20 bucks, on a software I have no use for, just for a single addon.

That’s the spirit!

3 hours ago, bendead said:

We don't know for sure that the "new" development that he sees is the same issue...  So like Crabby I put most of my stuff in an outside app that makes my life easier and allows for all kinds of profiles to all load based on the aircraft that I select..  Plus it drives all kinds of hardware controllers including ones I make from Arduinos... Thus only one "Plugin" running and not multiple vendors for each one...

Okay back to focus..

What he might be seeing is an issue now exposed that was not as noticeable before since the other issue was so glaring...  Noisy Pots...  Over time the potentiometers fail as the wiper is basically scrubbing metal away little by little... The Pot is effectively a variable Resistor that is changing the Voltage level read by the controller doing the Analog to Digital conversion...  spikes develop over time..  This is why Hall Effect sensors are so desired now since it is a magnetic field being read and no Metal on Metal parts...

If the controller is now starting to fail that is not taking away from the fact that being able to send events using the simconnect SDK seems to solve the N1 issue for most of us that have our controllers setup from applications like AAO, FSUIPC or Spad.neXt...

8 hours ago, LesOReilly said:

What he might be seeing is an issue now exposed that was not as noticeable before since the other issue was so glaring...  Noisy Pots...  Over time the potentiometers fail as the wiper is basically scrubbing metal away little by little... The Pot is effectively a variable Resistor that is changing the Voltage level read by the controller doing the Analog to Digital conversion...  spikes develop over time..  This is why Hall Effect sensors are so desired now since it is a magnetic field being read and no Metal on Metal parts...

But before trying other software to fix the problem, there is a very simple test to do.

When you open the CRJ and zoom on the virtual throttles in the cockpit. Do they move without issue, are they precise? If yes then it's not an hardware issue, it's the addon way to interpret those value or the simulated fadec.

Same, if the hardware is working flawlessly on every other planes.

On 4/25/2021 at 10:16 PM, LesOReilly said:

What controller?  I always found Saitek units to over time get real "noisy"... and so you have to create dead zones and Data change events( I have no idea is AAO can do that.. I use something else) that require a certain amount of change before it  sends it through as an event...

A brand new TCA throttle from Thrustmaster.

I tried again and its much better with AxisAndOhs but not perfect.

5 hours ago, sikimic said:

A brand new TCA throttle from Thrustmaster.

I tried again and its much better with AxisAndOhs but not perfect.

I have the exact same unit ...  They are "super" sensitive...  The Raw value if 65K to yeah you can just nudge them and it changes..

This is why I created my own "idle" zone...  I have the Axis remapped so that it sends -16383 to 16384 from just above Idle to full thrust..  Then I made another Range that did from there back to just over the Reverser Hump... and I mapped it so that it sends -16383 the entire time....  I would love to see the EFB throttle alignment have an Upper Idle and Lower Idle...  Then it would be possible to "wrap" the values above and below the idle detent just enough...

I do like my TCA...but it has a massive resolution...

Archived