Upgrade Prices for Addons coming from P3D to MSFS?

Hello,

I am sure this question has been asked before, but a search revealed no results for me - are there no upgrade prices for products like the CRJ or airports like Cologne or Berlin for those who bought these for P3D?

After all, theses products must be heavily based on the P3D versions, otherwise there is no way, that so many products could be brought to the new platform so quickly. 

So I thought there would always be upgrade prices if a product update shares the same "base".

best regards

Adrian

• Deputy Sheriffs

Actually, they're not "heavily based on the P3D versions." The CRJ in particular has major or maybe all of it written in a different programing language for technical reasons (hence the need for it recompile, which can take up to 10 minutes, on first use).

Here's Mathijs' comment on the Berlin Brandenburg release for example:

ok, so the answer is - no upgrade deals will be given, right?

I must admit, I don't have insights into the work of the developers but let's take a look at the development time of the CRJ for FSX/P3D which was like - 5+ years? And for MSFS, they take one year to rebuild completely. Frankly doesn't seem to be realistic, unless they suddenly have a team five times bigger which we all know they don't.

The same for a lot of the airports - looking at how many airports these teams at Aerosoft, Flytampa and so on created normally in a year for FSX/P3D and how quickly these are released for MSFS...So if these had to be completely redone, then it must be much easier to create them for MSFS, otherwise it would take much longer to produce them. In that case you could argue that it all has to be redone and therefore it is not an upgrade. But then again, that's not the answer given in the other thread concerning EDDB. 

I guess the only positive thing is that addons have gotten cheaper for MSFS...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Deputy Sheriffs

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say "no upgrade deals" ever. That's really up to the individual developer. For Aerosoft in-house projects, there's a long-standing policy of not charging for code you already bought. So if ever there was a product that could use recycled FSX/P3D code, there could be a discount.

You're right of course about addons being generally cheaper for MSFS. I understand that's primarily because of the larger customer base to spread development costs out on to.

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived