DIR INTC not always routing direct to waypoint

Hey,

Today I was cleared direct to NOVPO on a departure out of EKCH (VATSIM). When trying to use the DIR INTC page, the FMS was inserting a fix called (0) as my FROM point and did not draw a direct course from my current position to NOVPO, despite no INTC course being specified when selecting NOVPO. See attached picture. 

In the picture attached I'm in HDG mode as a way to circumvent the aircraft flying back to the course it had drawn between (0) and NOVPO. I then got a further direct to RISMA which resulted in a similar outcome. I ended up using the legs page to drop RISMA on top of itself which then resulted in the expected outcome with (DIR) becoming my FROM point. 

I've used DIR INTC to go direct in this way previous with success but this time I'm not sure why it wouldn't work as expected. 

The route I was flying was very short and only really consisted of fixes within a SID and a STAR (linked by an airway) so I wonder if it's possible this is linked to the inconsistent behaviour we've seen on these forums with departures and arrivals?

Please login to display this image.

Seconded, a phantom waypoint is added into the route and plane intercepts the line drawn from it and the intended direct to.

In my case it happened departing from KORF, runway 5, and following the KISRR3 SID. I flew runway heading to 4000, used the DIR INTC page to select HPW after cleared direct-to, and yeah.

Happened to me as well. I could solve it by pasting the direct on top of the legs page (where the 0 is). Not sure if this ist wanted, but it worked out for me.

3 hours ago, luko0211 said:

Happened to me as well. I could solve it by pasting the direct on top of the legs page (where the 0 is). Not sure if this ist wanted, but it worked out for me.

Ah, this is a handy workaround for the time being. Thank you.

21 hours ago, luko0211 said:

This is how I fixed the problem also but I also believe the described issue is not the intended functionality of the DIR INTC page.

Does someone have an answer to why the phantom waypoint is being added to the flight plan when a DIR INTC is being commanded? I see the work around being discussed above, however this does not seem correct. 

I have this problem too. It’s adding a phantom waypoint for some reason and trying to intercept it to then go to the fix I asked it to go direct too, doesn’t make any sense and doesn’t work. I do not understand how things like this can get passed by a BETA team. The direct to function is a basic function of an FMS used by pilots all the time. 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Yes, this is an item that's on our list to investigate further. I have seen some anomalies with the DIR INTC function under certain conditions as well. Thanks for the report(s).

On my flight today, when I used the DIR INTC function it just activated the leg terminated by that waypoint rather than going from PP direct to the waypoint.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue yesterday. I was on selected heading and after entering a direct to a waypoint it activated a leg from the last waypoint in the flight plan to the waypoint i just entered. 

• 3 weeks later...

I really try to fly the CRJ as often as I can and put the 32NX aside. But flying on Vatsim I usually get multiple Directs which I have to fly in HDG mode as opposed to NAV. That's really frustrating. Today it happened 3 times in one flight. The airplane would only pick up the FMS route in NAV mode once I've passed the waypoint using HDG.

Maybe is has to do with the manual AIRAC update thru Navigraph?

In the case below the phantom waypoint wasn't even close to the route:

2 hours ago, FlyByWire128 said:

I have found that putting the direct fix 2nd from the top works (i.e. LSK #2) - is that the correct procedure or a work-around?

That's the correct procedure. If you think about it, all of the colours in the flight deck (think FMS, PFD, MFD) mean something. The colour purple represents a target, something you're aiming for. The speed bug, heading bug, flight director and altitude selector are all purple because those are targets. When you think about it in that respect it then makes sense that the waypoint we are currently heading to is purple as well.

On 5/2/2021 at 8:23 PM, mynolix said:

I really try to fly the CRJ as often as I can and put the 32NX aside. But flying on Vatsim I usually get multiple Directs which I have to fly in HDG mode as opposed to NAV. That's really frustrating. Today it happened 3 times in one flight. The airplane would only pick up the FMS route in NAV mode once I've passed the waypoint using HDG.

Maybe is has to do with the manual AIRAC update thru Navigraph?

In the case below the phantom waypoint wasn't even close to the route:

When you try and go direct to a waypoint how are you doing it? Do you press the LSK next to the waypoint you want to go to and then press LSK L2? That is the procedure. As an example from your screenshot, if you wanted to go direct to PETER you'd press the LSK next to PETER and then press the LSK next to AUDIL. Then press EXEC and you'll be heading towards PETER.

13 hours ago, Chaxterium said:

That's the correct procedure. If you think about it, all of the colours in the flight deck (think FMS, PFD, MFD) mean something. The colour purple represents a target, something you're aiming for. The speed bug, heading bug, flight director and altitude selector are all purple because those are targets. When you think about it in that respect it then makes sense that the waypoint we are currently heading to is purple as well.

That was my assumption as well - thanks for confirming!

Perhaps that is the root cause of many issues folks are having going direct... in other AC (I'm looking at you Boeing/Airbus), the next "target" fix is at the top (LSK L1).

Using the DIR INTC page will often yield this result with ghost waypoints and is therefore quite unusable, even though it should be a perfectly valid way to enter a direct to. It is the whole purpose of the button and FMS page.

• 6 months later...

Sorry for bringing up this old thread, but does anybody know if this issue has been acknowledged? I seem to have encountered the same issue in EDDM earlier this week in the latest version. Unfortunately I have no screenshots but a ghost waypoint appeared after I had entered a direct on the RWY08R RNAV Transition.

There are multiple threads on this issue and all that has ever been mentioned is that "it has been added to the database". So presumably on some happy day in the future this will be fixed, but I would not hold my breath since it has been present and known about since release.

It was quite irritating to purchase the -900/1000 and see this bug is still there. Please fix this aerosoft it's something that breaks immersion and for the $70 I spent on the CRJs its something I expect to see taken care of. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2021 at 3:29 PM, FSHomeCockpit said:

It was quite irritating to purchase the -900/1000 and see this bug is still there. Please fix this aerosoft it's something that breaks immersion and for the $70 I spent on the CRJs its something I expect to see taken care of. 

Absolutely agree! It's quite annoying flying online and still having to deal with this issue that has been reported on March

4 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Please accept that some bugs are damned hard to solve.

There will be another cycle of updates after the Twin Otter is done. This is one of the issues that will be looked at again. 

Totally understood on the first part. Just curious, could you elaborate on why this one in particular is difficult to fix? Going direct to a waypoint works correctly 100% of the time if you do it via LEGS rather than DIR INTC so I'm wondering what makes it a challenge to trigger the same logic from the other screen. Or is there some difference in what these are supposed to do that I'm not aware of?

Archived