What is the correct speed profile to use ?

DGH

Hi

Wondering ... I see in the manual it is 250 / 290 / M0.74

However in the cockpit I see 250 / 320 / M0.77   ( think its below the warning lights .. not sure how to call it )

Also in Simbrief I can select both options when setting up a plan.

So what is the correct one ? or if both can be used .. under what circumstances ?

There is no “correct” profile, it depends on individual operator SOPs.

One r/w CRJ pilot on the test team works for an airline which climbs at 250 knots IAS to cruise altitude until intercepting Mach 0.74. This gives a faster climb rate but lower ground speed. Other operators go to 290 knots IAS passing 10,000 feet, (or even 300 to 320 knots), which gives lower climb rate and more fuel consumption, but gets the aircraft farther along its route to destination more quickly.

Climb above 10,000 feet should always be done at least at 250 knots. Trying to use a lower speed than that will eventually put the aircraft in a high AOA, high drag, low lift situation at higher altitudes.

The cruise speed will also vary by operator. The CRJ-200, which has less power than the 700/900, is typically cruised at Mach 0.74. The 700/900 can cruise up to Mach 0.80 in normal operations - the exact value will depend on distance to destination vs. available fuel, winds aloft, or operator SOP. If the aircraft is on time, and/or has a tailwind, the pilots may choose a lower cruise speed for fuel savings. If it is behind schedule and/or has a headwind, they may choose a higher cruise speed.

Thanks for the response. Was not sure if there was a default profile to use.

Again thanks for the response and time.

one more thing ... would be nice if i could get a notification or a message when i had a response on the forum. Not sure if that can be implemented.

now i basically did see by coincidence that i have a response. 

stay safe 🙏

• Deputy Sheriffs

Because we believe this topic has been answered we have closed it. If you have any more questions feel free to open a new topic.

• Herman locked this topic

Archived