Easily the most frustrating MSFS experience I have had since the game launched.  Have given the CRJ the old "College Try" but I just can't get the plane to work properly.  Have scoured the forums, watched countless YouTube tutorials and still can't get this thing to fly (like the other aircraft in MSFS).  Auto Pilot is broken, have yet to get the CRJ to follow flight plan even though everything is setup properly and green lights are on.  Only way I can fly is by manually moving the heading bug through my flight plan so that I don't fly away in the wrong direction.  Can't reach cruise altitude, CRJ always levels off before I get there, if I increase speed it sinks, if I use Vertical Speed it climbs and the speed falls off and I sink again.  Read on forums that it could be binding issues with my Honeycomb throttle, ended up deleting all bindings (except flaps/thrust) and no change.  

My only enjoyment of the CRJ is when I first climb in the awesome looking cockpit, get everything set up, crank engines, taxi, take off (all this stuff works fine) and then as I begin to climb, turn on my Nav/Speed/AP buttons and marvel at the pretty green lights...... it goes to shit from there.  The CRJ gives me the finger as it ignores/misses the turn to begin my flight plan (that is clearly showing on the display in front of me), climbs up a bit higher and then levels off (yes I have programmed in the altitude) and I sit back in my chair looking over my shoulder in the direction the CRJ should be flying and curse at my misfortune.  

For the $70 Canadian this plane cost me, this has not been a good flight for me!

I am having similar issues and I think a patch is in the works.

I have also read through a lot of these forums (and avsim or msfs forums). I have messed with the weights, followed the tutorial flight etc and its still persisting.

Don't give up. Just fly something else until they patch it.

I was under the impression it was an issue with weight/balance in the CRJ vs MS/Asobo weight and balance.

Give it time.

• Aerosoft
2 hours ago, Otonabee said:

Easily the most frustrating MSFS experience I have had since the game launched

Well, as this is the most complex aircraft you could have bought, do not be angry when I suggest you did not handle it correctly. You do not need any patch for that. I got over 100 videos in the forums that show you people flying it with the same code as you now have. Nothing in what we intend to patch will change the issues you face.

We provide an extensive tutorial and I have not find any customer who was unable to fly the aircraft using that guide. If you just start on that tutorial and tell us EXACTLY where the text does not match what you see on screen we are sure to be able to assist you. 

We are standing by to assist, but we need to know exactly you find issues.  Just tell us what you done and where the text does not match the screen. 

I can imagine well, especially PC pilots used to fly Airbus or Boeing get easily frustrated, as it needs much more attention as example constant and careful manipulation by the throttle.

The takeoff alone is quite stressful, After gear up Speed Mode, after 400ft AGL NAV, after 600ft AP, after 1000ft Climb Thrust, increasing speed at 3000ft, increasing speed after flaps up....so much to concentrate that I often skip the climb checklist.

There are imperfections like the takeoff and flare behaviour, AP catching track, catching and keeping altitude but anyway, it´s not ruining my joy to practice with it. It´s especially fun to catch the snowflake at descend using VS.

But I flew a lot the CRJ at FSX and P3D, so I can concentrate the flows.

I also often gave up a plane, and after multiple attempts I´ve learned, that I need to be more patient and need to study the videos and manuals to find out that some "bugs" where missing knowledge.

Regards,

Herbert

Dont give up! I struggled a bunch too but eventually I figured it out, and it's really enjoyable once you get the hang of it. A couple of things that helped me was to practice maintaining my speed during landing and once the autopilot is off I trim the nose down a bit so that I have to actively hold the nose up during landing. I'm still pretty awful at it but I can feel myself getting better and that's half the fun 

Going by the problems your having it seems that even though you've "watched and read everything" you aren't absorbing it. Maybe you are still trying to get it to fly like an Airbus or Boeing, this requires more work and knowledge from the pilot. So maybe it isn't for everyone. But it is fun, even if it is difficult, fly the CRJ way.

I have flown quite a lot of legs, around 40 now, and have very few issues as you are describing. I can import flightplans from Simbrief, load the performance parameters from the EFB, go from the cold & dark startup to fully ready. Flight performance is very good. After takeoff, the aircraft climbs according to what I set the speed at- 250Kts below 10,000 ft and its like a rocket. I can climb all the way to FL380 at 260kts+. ILS approach can be a little tricky with the GS, as I've had 3 or 4 that for whatever reason wouldnt lock on, but from what I read most pilots hand fly the approach, so not sure. Hope you get it working as it is the best commercial jet for MSFS at this time. 

9 hours ago, vegasjon777 said:

I have flown quite a lot of legs, around 40 now, and have very few issues as you are describing. I can import flightplans from Simbrief, load the performance parameters from the EFB, go from the cold & dark startup to fully ready. Flight performance is very good. After takeoff, the aircraft climbs according to what I set the speed at- 250Kts below 10,000 ft and its like a rocket. I can climb all the way to FL380 at 260kts+. ILS approach can be a little tricky with the GS, as I've had 3 or 4 that for whatever reason wouldnt lock on, but from what I read most pilots hand fly the approach, so not sure. Hope you get it working as it is the best commercial jet for MSFS at this time. 

Sorry but no way I agree with the above statement: ILS approach is very far from "little tricky", it's simply not working and must be investigated and then hopefully fixed. Hand fly approaches in IFR conditions (never heard about live weather in MSFS?) may result in embarrassing situations.

Happy flying 

Having flown the CRJ in both x-plane and p3D I can tell you that the plane does not behave properly in MSFS. I will fly some other plane for some time until a patch comes out. For the moment it is just an eye candy and the flight model is horrible. 

2 hours ago, ffantasy67 said:

ILS approach is very far from "little tricky", it's simply not working and must be investigated and then hopefully fixed.

Yet there are tons of videos showing such approaches and many of us here doing them every day. For me, mostly using AP and some are hand flown. I like variety and it is the only way to build skills.

So I think you need to reconsider the difference to a the possibility of a bug makes an approach a bit more challenging against "simply not working".

If it can work for most of us, it can work for you.

When it works for us it is easy to think the pilot is doing something wrong. Even easier if they provide little or no information on their exact steps to create the issue. For ILS non-capture and similar the only good way to do that is with video showing exactly how the aircraft is setup and flown. But I've not seen anyone post one yet (I might have missed one, if so point me to it please!) which means everyone has to make lots of assumptions which vary from person to person. That is an extremely inefficient way to try and resolve an issue.

As a programmer myself I troubleshoot for a living so I'm interested in why peoples experiences varies so much. If it is a bug it needs fixing. If it is pilot error then a clearer tutorial or FAQ entry may be appropriate but for most of these posts it is impossible to know. Sometimes we get a description of steps but like many things timing is important and it is very common for people to describe steps the either didn't actually do or miss steps they did do. I get that at work all-the-time.

So, want a bug acknowledged and fixed and quickly. Provide detailed info.

Hi. I also fly quite often with this CRJ, and yes, it has some little troubles, that probably will be fixed, but in overall it's great aircraft. Autopilot behaviour is good. In most cases I don't have any problems. And also it's a joy to fly by hand.

3 hours ago, ffantasy67 said:

Sorry but no way I agree with the above statement: ILS approach is very far from "little tricky", it's simply not working and must be investigated and then hopefully fixed. Hand fly approaches in IFR conditions (never heard about live weather in MSFS?) may result in embarrassing situations.

Why would flying ILS approach by hand result in embarrassing situation? It's still ILS, doesn't have to be performed by AP. If it causes trouble to fly by hand, then it's time to switch AP and FD off, and start practice. And once it's ok and comfortable for you, start using automation. I'm pretty sure every IRL pilot is able to hand fly his/her aircraft in all phases of flight.

30 minutes ago, pawel-d said:

Hi. I also fly quite often with this CRJ, and yes, it has some little troubles, that probably will be fixed, but in overall it's great aircraft. Autopilot behaviour is good. In most cases I don't have any problems. And also it's a joy to fly by hand.

Why would flying ILS approach by hand result in embarrassing situation? It's still ILS, doesn't have to be performed by AP. If it causes trouble to fly by hand, then it's time to switch AP and FD off, and start practice. And once it's ok and comfortable for you, start using automation. I'm pretty sure every IRL pilot is able to hand fly his/her aircraft in all phases of flight.

Indeed: thanks for dispelling my doubts. Now I'm really committed to get myself a PPL before commenting any further on this forum.

Happy flying.

1 hour ago, Thx1137 said:

Yet there are tons of videos showing such approaches and many of us here doing them every day. For me, mostly using AP and some are hand flown. I like variety and it is the only way to build skills.

So I think you need to reconsider the difference to a the possibility of a bug makes an approach a bit more challenging against "simply not working".

If it can work for most of us, it can work for you.

When it works for us it is easy to think the pilot is doing something wrong. Even easier if they provide little or no information on their exact steps to create the issue. For ILS non-capture and similar the only good way to do that is with video showing exactly how the aircraft is setup and flown. But I've not seen anyone post one yet (I might have missed one, if so point me to it please!) which means everyone has to make lots of assumptions which vary from person to person. That is an extremely inefficient way to try and resolve an issue.

As a programmer myself I troubleshoot for a living so I'm interested in why peoples experiences varies so much. If it is a bug it needs fixing. If it is pilot error then a clearer tutorial or FAQ entry may be appropriate but for most of these posts it is impossible to know. Sometimes we get a description of steps but like many things timing is important and it is very common for people to describe steps the either didn't actually do or miss steps they did do. I get that at work all-the-time.

So, want a bug acknowledged and fixed and quickly. Provide detailed info.

100% agree Thx1137, but it has already been discussed here (and classified as "issue" by developer): no need to ask for bug fix.

Have a good day.

I've made several flight in the CRJ in VATSIM and once you get the hang of it, it is enjoyable to fly and keeps you busy.
I made some ILS approaches that were right on the money. Someone suggested 170 knots and 20 degree flaps and slightly below IPF.
Make sure your getting green ILS needles once on glideslope. 

One flight managed the rest bäh. I cant get that FMS to work properly. Waypoints - not in Data Base or not found or not allowed, I mean hey TIMEN BOMBI all well known. Th efunny thing when i import the flightplan from simbrief it gets me totally other waypoints. No Airways! And the most frustrating is route discontinuity. Copy and paste like in the Video does not allways work. And if you want to clear the input you have to fiddle with the mouse to find that point to click.

9 minutes ago, Uwe Bestmann said:

And if you want to clear the input you have to fiddle with the mouse to find that point to click.

This is true. And rather annoying. My solution was to save a custom camera view that allowed me to click the EXEC button every time without having to fiddle around with the view. I key-mapped this custom view to my hat-switch on my joystick so now whenever I need to enter data into the FMS I just press my hat-switch and boom, the view is set up perfectly.

vor 2 Minuten, Chaxterium sagte:

This is true. And rather annoying. My solution was to save a custom camera view that allowed me to click the EXEC button every time without having to fiddle around with the view. I key-mapped this custom view to my hat-switch on my joystick so now whenever I need to enter data into the FMS I just press my hat-switch and boom, the view is set up perfectly.

Hmm what i was trying to say is when you need to CLR a waypoint (misspelled) or that annoying NOT IN DATABASE you have to set that mouse somewhere in between two letters to activate the CLR

5 hours ago, Uwe Bestmann said:

Hmm what i was trying to say is when you need to CLR a waypoint (misspelled) or that annoying NOT IN DATABASE you have to set that mouse somewhere in between two letters to activate the CLR

Yep. I understand that. That's what the custom camera view fixes. 

On 3/26/2021 at 9:52 AM, Uwe Bestmann said:

Waypoints - not in Data Base or not found or not allowed, I mean hey TIMEN BOMBI all well known

You will get that error if you are trying to enter a waypoint on the left side of the page. Airways are entered on the left side, direct to waypoints are entered on the right side. IIRC this is discussed in Volume 6.

• Developer
1 hour ago, geoffda said:

You will get that error if you are trying to enter a waypoint on the left side of the page. Airways are entered on the left side, direct to waypoints are entered on the right side. IIRC this is discussed in Volume 6.

Depends on where you are.

FPLN Page:
- Left Side: Airways
- Right Side: Waypoints

LEGS Page:
- Left Side: Waypoints
- Right Side: Speed/Altitude constraints

Archived