Any suggestions for flying procedure turn approaches?

I just tried my first approach with a procedure turn (ILS Y or LOC RWY 19 KJAC) and it was a disaster.  The MCDU and autopilot simply got lost and couldn't figure out what to do.  It started the outbound leg and  got to the point to start a PT.  It made the turn in the wrong direction from that depicted on the MFD and then just kept going.  At this point what does one do?  I switched to heading mode and turned the aircraft back toward the final approach course but of course the MCDU was stuck on the PT so it wouldn't move from that and I ended up flying the approach manually.  Once on the ILS course and glidepath I tried engaging the autopilot and selected APPR and that didn't go well.  You can't turn off the ALT lock so when you engage the autopilot it wants to climb to the last altitude set so I couldn't get the aircraft to descend.  There should be a way to turn off the ALT so I can engage APPR.  I know that I only got it two days ago and have a lot to learn but I am starting to dislike the autopilot in this aircraft.  I'm going to try some more approaches that have procedure turns and see if I experience the same issue.

I'm having much the same problem two weeks after I installed the CRJ. The AP flies the flight plan and STAR correctly until final turn to intercept the localizer and then it turns the wrong way, won't descend with the glide slope and won't turn to intercept the LOC bar after I disconnect the AP and manually steer it toward the flight director LOC bar.  Maybe it's my procedure that's wrong: I let the AP and FMC steer into the turn to intercept the LOC, switch guidance input from FMS to VOR1 with the correct ILS frequency set into it, and check for the LOC and GS FD bars. The FD bars are there but the AP does not fly to them, neither azimuth nor altitude. I've tried 5 ILS approaches with the AP and none of them have worked, I have had to manually fly the approaches and landings. My attempts included flying the tutorial flight and reading the manuals during the tutorial flight but no joy.

I just tried the ILS 08 KPUB with a procedure flying to the PUB fix and then outbound.  Again, when it started the procedure turn it turned the wrong way and the altitude hold on the autopilot broke lock and the aircraft started descending.  So this MCDU and autopilot have no idea what to do regarding a procedure turn for an ILS approach.  Such a disappointment.  So this aircraft is useless to me for the time being.  Will sideline this and fly the default A320 with the A32NX mod.

So thinking more about this I went a little too far.  I will need to fly to the last fix using the MCDU and then switch over to heading mode and manually steer the aircraft along the correct flight path until intercepting the localizer since I can't rely on the MCDU to fly the approach correctly.

This aircraft is also terrible when flying an ILS approach.  You have to stay on NAV until the glideslope reaches the aircraft altitude.  If you select approach before that the aircraft climbs to intercept the glideslope which is should not.  Also you have to configure full flaps before intercepting the glidepath or the aircraft will climb and you will have to fight to get the aircraft back down to the glidepath and re-establish the approach.  All in all a unexpected experience.

After just finishing another ILS approach I have come to the conclusion that once you want to start the approach it is best to turn off this terrible autopilot and just fly it manually.  If you don't you will be fighting the autopilot every step of the way.  

I have finally worked things out and increased my knowledge of how this aircraft will react.  My last ILS approach went very well and I am gaining a much better appreciation for this aircraft.  Just needed to keep at it and learn the aircraft.  Sorry for my whining.  Thank you Aerosoft for putting out this aircraft.

Archived