Holding altitude is sloppy

Scenario: Im on approach to ENCN for runway 21. I am at 3000 ft on NELIP and doing a turn onto the ILS. Im below the GS. I havent engaged approach mode yet so Im still flying on FMS1. The altitude drops to 2500 and then the airplane pitches nose up by 15 degrees or so and tries to get back up to 3000. Speed was about 200 into the turn with flaps 1. 

19 minutes ago, august78 said:

Scenario: Im on approach to ENCN for runway 21. I am at 3000 ft on NELIP and doing a turn onto the ILS. Im below the GS. I havent engaged approach mode yet so Im still flying on FMS1. The altitude drops to 2500 and then the airplane pitches nose up by 15 degrees or so and tries to get back up to 3000. Speed was about 200 into the turn with flaps 1. 

Well documented issue. I have it frequently. I think they may be writing some custom code to help this. 

28 minutes ago, metzgergva said:

What is the trim indication doing? Did you check that the CoG slider is fully to the right in the weight UI.

I didnt pay attention. I will next time. 

Also, if using Live Weather, I have seen some pretty significant instant shifts in barometric pressure that can cause a sudden increase or decrease in displayed altitude, and if the airplane is in altitude hold mode at the time, it will then try to get back to the “new” selected altitude.  It seems to happen more often in high level cruise flight, but I have seen in happen at lower altitudes.

6 hours ago, JRBarrett said:

Also, if using Live Weather, I have seen some pretty significant instant shifts in barometric pressure that can cause a sudden increase or decrease in displayed altitude, and if the airplane is in altitude hold mode at the time, it will then try to get back to the “new” selected altitude.  It seems to happen more often in high level cruise flight, but I have seen in happen at lower altitudes.

That could be at flightlevels, but in this particular scenario, the TL was at 7500 ft and I went to local pressure by pressing B. The altitude drop was in the turn to the ils at 3000 ft down to 2500. The pressure had not changed as far as I know. It was a gradual descent of maybe 700 ft per minute over some time. 

Archived