One Week on, what are your thoughts?

BritishAvgeek

Hi everyone!

The Aerosoft CRJ for MSFS was released basically one week ago now and I'm wondering what all of your experiences have been like?

For me, I've absolutely enjoyed each flight with it. The system depth, the intuitive FMS, the advisory VNAV and the EFB systems are all really fantastic.

Yesterday on a stream, I put it through its paces (and pushed my abilities too) with the CRJ550, Island hopping around the Canaries.

Harnessing my inner TheDude I threw myself into:

- Short runway landings and takeoffs requiring Flaps 20

- VOR Approaches

- NDB Approaches

- ILS Approach

- An inadvertent Go-Around for an unstable approach

- Fully Visual approach

- one sector navigated purely tracking the NDB needle from departure all the way to the airport (as it didn't exist in the Nav data)

A few from the community flew along in their CRJs too in MSFS and we all had an absolute blast.

The CRJ handled everything I threw at it (with the exception of the sim ILS bug that bit me into GCXO) and the 4 sectors we flew were fantastic.

If you're looking to push it with short sector hops then check out my stream here 

Island Hopping in the Aerosoft CRJ on VATSIM

Sectors flown:

Tenerife North - La Gomera (VOR)

La Gomera - Tenerife North (ILS)

Tenerife North - La Palma (NDB)

La Palma - El Hierro (tracking the NDB to navigate)

Very scenic and I didn't get above 9000ft!

As always, thanks to the hard work of the Aerosoft team in making an amazing aircraft for us to use in the sim.

I'm absolutely loving it... So this post is to see what everyone else thinks so far? 

Minus the known sim bugs that we know Asobo are working to fix - what has been your favourite flight in the CRJ so far and why?

I’m absolutely loving it too. I love the complexity and every switch being modelled, it’s such an interesting aircraft. I love staring at all the hydraulic and electricity screens. It would be great if there was some variation with the numbers but that’s nitpicking I guess.

I’ve done some regional flights around Germany, mainly between Munich and Hannover to get the hang of it. I did a flight from Liverpool to Dublin yesterday and that was great. When it all works it’s so satisfying and so rewarding.

I have struggled with getting stable ILS approaches (suffered from the dive bug and the aircraft not being able to follow the GS very well) and then some other issues with the FMS that have been reported and will hopefully be ironed out in the next patch or two (erratic holds, waypoints being deleted when entering extra waypoints, advisory vnav not always working, eta’s not always correct)

I’d give it an 8.5/10 but once all the bugs are ironed out it’s a 10/10 of for sure.

Hello BritishAvgeek.

As a subscriber to your video, I always watch your video well.
I also felt a lot while using the CRJ to fly 16 times.
It showed amazing features and performance as expected and increased the pleasure of flying.
Although it sometimes suffers from some bugs (eg ILS diving...), it didn't blow away the fun.
It seems to be a bug that can be overcome to some extent if you are careful and care.
Although the RNAV function is a bit insufficient and unstable, I believe the Aerosoft team will do a good job of fixing it.
As of now, it can be said that it is the only aircraft in FS2020 that surpasses the working title team's CJ4 and the FBW team's 320NX. (Except that of course it made my wallet thinner. Hehe)

I want to give them 8.6 points out of 10.

Loving this plane as well and that seems to be consistent feedback having watched many of you streamers out there (keep up the good work). Yes, there are issues, but unless you work at Nasa that was to be expected. And don't forget that some of those are Asobo issues. I was always amazed with what the guys at WT did with the CJ4 but this plane takes it to another level. Definitely lot more fun to fly a more complex bird. Then don't forget about the many manuals and thorough documentation and also the videos from The Dude which were all completed before Aerosoft decided to launch. There was plenty of pressure but in the end was the right call.

Kudos to Aerosoft.

I'm loving it but trying to figure out why the 700 takes off so enthusiastically, yet the 550 needs a fair bit of encouragement.  I've set the weights in the same way and set the take-off trim, but for me, the 550 really does need to be "dragged" into the air.

I'm probably just doing it wrong.  ;)

I'm loving the bird. But you already knew that from me. Took it up for a 3 hour leg yesterday and she flew like the real bird, nice and stable with the speed. Now the question is which one of you wants to do some exploring and figure out exactly how I got these pages on my MFD. No fellow type rated pilots answering this question please. Even though half the guys I fly with in the real jet are amazed when I pull up this group of pages. And honestly I'm kind of amazed that Hans bothered to even put this in, now not all the pages are there but the fact I can even get to these pages shows some commitment from him.

Please login to display this image.

It's great! I haven't personally wanted to fly anything else for the last week.

I think flight simming is a fantastic hobby because it can be very humbling and there's always something new to learn. This aircraft is another fantastic example of that. I think everyone who I've spoken to on this has enjoyed the challenge and learnt a lot.

Honestly I was totally hyped for this release and there was no way Aerosoft could have met my expectations. I have been wrong many times in my life, this was one of them, I totally underestimated what Aerosoft could put out there and it will be interesting to see how the "MSFS2020 engine can't be used to produce high quality add-ons" because Aerosoft, in my view have done just that.

Furthermore, I think they have changed the landscape with regards what's acceptable, it's interesting that marketplace had another payware airliner entry last week, granted half the price, but going forward I hope that people won't even consider that kind of release, in short I think this is the game changer that was needed.

I finally want to add not only did they take the time to put the right product out at the right time, they gave us all a bunch of tools to get the very most out of it, which in itself should be used as best practice moving forward by other developers   

To put it short. I'm glad I came back to flight sim, Aerosoft have done an amazing job, it's the most realistic my flight simming experience has been ever. Period. Also I think it's helped silence the doubters about the legitimacy of MSFS being put on the same level as P3D, Xplane. In my 10/15 years on flight simming I'm the most excited about the future of the hobby as if this is what Aerosoft can achieve with the first release for the sim, as techniques for creation in the sim improve and the ability to do other things for aircraft added, I can't wait for future aircraft as well, the bar for MSFS aircraft has been set high. I'm just patiently waiting for FS2Crew to finish the realism off.

13 hours ago, EasternT3 said:

I'm just patiently waiting for FS2Crew to finish the realism off.

Totally agree with you! However I'm less patiently waiting 😉 for FS2Crew and the two things I would add are GSX.... and real world traffic..... I would also really like a good ATR42....but anyway...

I have also flown the 550 and the 700 many times in the last week.  The aircraft is a real joy to fly, very realistic with many different systems. Once you get the hang of it and very importantly ensure that on climb, cruise, decent and approach you do not allow the speed to drop below the recommended minimums, the plane is very stable.  Clearly the aircraft does not perform well at low speed and I assume that is modelled based on the rear aircraft.  So well done to Aerosoft for bringing out a really fantastic aircraft and I expect that I will probably be doing the majority of my flying on it from now on.

Just waiting for the next update to be released with a few bug fixes.

15 minutes ago, bluemoon51 said:

Totally agree with you! However I'm less patiently waiting 😉 for FS2Crew and the two things I would add are GSX.... and real world traffic..... I would also really like a good ATR42....but anyway...

Haha, I am understating how patient I am, I check the FS2Crew forums every couple of hours for release ;) totally forgot about GSX but defiantly needed as well :)

Ended up caving and buying the addon (plus a few airports). Best decision I've ever made.

Other than the fact the cabin didn't want to pressurise on my end (nor did it want to heat up lmao, looks like it's another read of the manual for me), it was nothing short of a joy to fly. Looking forward to the rest of the countless flight hours I'll gain in it... :D  

10 minutes ago, NetworkerExpress said:

Ended up caving and buying the addon (plus a few airports). Best decision I've ever made.

Other than the fact the cabin didn't want to pressurise on my end (nor did it want to heat up lmao, looks like it's another read of the manual for me), it was nothing short of a joy to fly. Looking forward to the rest of the countless flight hours I'll gain in it... :D  

The pressure thing happened to me once too.... I had forgotten to set the departure elevation into the "landing elevation" setting in that panel..... maybe that helps.....

Just now, bluemoon51 said:

The pressure thing happened to me once too.... I had forgotten to set the departure elevation into the "landing elevation" setting in that panel..... maybe that helps.....

Sounds about right, that and the fact I didn't open the isolation valve...go me.

Fingers crossed I'll remember that for my next outing.

vor 9 Stunden , bluemoon51 sagte:

Maybe some type rated pilot can help her. But in my understanding the landing elevation has absolutely no influence on the pressurization during the flight. It only helps the system to manage the descend so that the cabin is not pressurized anymore when landing. But please correct me if I am wrong. 

Yes i am loving the CRJ. Thank you so much Aerosoft. I am having the best time learning and spending time with this aircraft. MSFS just keep getting better and better.

8 hours ago, F said:

Maybe some type rated pilot can help her. But in my understanding the landing elevation has absolutely no influence on the pressurization during the flight. It only helps the system to manage the descend so that the cabin is not pressurized anymore when landing. But please correct me if I am wrong. 

That's absolutely correct. In fact I can't count the number of times I forgot to set the pressurization to the destination field level and only noticed during the approach checklist. 

Overall...absolutely a blast to fly.  Much more work than the A320 especially landing but enjoyable and still allows me to generally walk away during a long cruise if I have to multitask while flying.  I actually enjoy the descent much better in this A/C (being able to gauge the req'd V/S to hit the targets and control).  The ONLY bugs that IMHO need to be fixed post haste are:

1. the severe overturning and swaying to get back on course;
  2. the apparent ice buildup that takes place causing an out of control trim when flying live weather (despite icing being turned to visual only AND A/Ice on during entire flight);
  3. next to last flaps setting doesn't incrementally add the appropriate drag (it gets compounded at full flaps instead); and
  4. the occasional squawk code not being recognized (despite setting it appropriately as evidenced by many flights working fine with same SOP).

I get why this is a pilot's aircraft (much like the Boeing 727 was).

On 3/23/2021 at 1:29 PM, Matthew2312 said:

I'm loving the bird. But you already knew that from me. Took it up for a 3 hour leg yesterday and she flew like the real bird, nice and stable with the speed. Now the question is which one of you wants to do some exploring and figure out exactly how I got these pages on my MFD. No fellow type rated pilots answering this question please. Even though half the guys I fly with in the real jet are amazed when I pull up this group of pages. And honestly I'm kind of amazed that Hans bothered to even put this in, now not all the pages are there but the fact I can even get to these pages shows some commitment from him.

I'll show you tomorrow in the stream perhaps! I think I know where it is 😎

I left this thread for a few days to see what people said and wow - awesome comments! Glad everyone's having a similar experience.

I love the Airbus A320neo with the FBW mod but this is a different bird - and more hands on and that makes it quite enjoyable and a bit more of a "thinking pilots aircraft" (without upsetting anyone!)

Bugs aside - and many are pilot error triggered too - it's thorough enjoyable!

Tomorrow I'll be giving away FOUR on a stream to show my support for the amazing product thanks to some generous members of the community donating the funds! We'll be smashing about Japan on VATSIM so feel free to log in and fly along from 1300Z

I'll be starting in Nagasaki before heading north to Hiroshima, then up to Osaka before finishing on the third sector in Tokyo Haneda in one of my all time favourite countries to visit in the world!

5 minutes ago, BritishAvgeek said:

I'll show you tomorrow in the stream perhaps! I think I know where it is 😎

Fantastic! But I might have to watch a replay though as I’ll be flying the line until about 1900 GMT tomorrow. What time are you getting going? And if you run across anything you have a question about send me a message on your discord and I’ll get you an answer between flights.

Might even be able to hope on YouTube between flights quickly to see if you’ve found the hidden page.

Just now, Matthew2312 said:

Fantastic! But I might have to watch a replay though as I’ll be flying the line until about 1900 GMT tomorrow. What time are you getting going? And if you run across anything you have a question about send me a message on your discord and I’ll get you an answer between flights.

Awesome! Starting at 1300Z tomorrow and I've got all the routes prepped ready - just hoping tonight's Asobo update hasn't caused any issues 

Since the CRJ came out I stopped flying any other bird, including my beloved TBM930! For training purposes, I only fly EDDF-EDDS and back (and will continue to do so until all procedures become second nature).

I fly in VR only and the immersion is through the roof: on top of stunning visuals, both outside and in the cockpit, I need to have 100% of my attention on the plane (else, I crash). Never would have thought that not having auto throttle can be that much fun!

An incredible plane and absolutely incredible work by Aerosoft! Thanks a LOT, guys!!!

Half-way through my delivery flight to Southern California, my first fairly long flight 3 1/2 hours and while she wasn't crazy about a DME radius approach other than that a total joy to fly. The CRJ to start with might actually be the perfect plane for flight simming, certainly airliner wise, add to that Aerosoft's delivery people are going to be playing catch-up for a very long time. Once I'm more comfortable I might give VR a stab with it.       

Archived