Vertical speed and direct-to function

Hi there, 

I am unable to use vertical speed in the climb out. Speed works somewhat, but you need to be close to pitch attitude (and I am in the climb detent btw) of the intended climb for that airspeed. My main concern is that my vertical speed will be set to say 2,500 feet in decent, and than between 22,000-19,000 feet it just stops descending. Vertical speed will still be lit up on the MCP, but it will read 0 on the PFD. Clicking VS on the MCP to extinguish the light and pressing it again, setting it back to 2,500 doesn't do anything. So I click off auto pilot, and hand fly it all the way down from there. Any suggestions on why it would stop the decent randomly like that? MCP ALT set to 5000-10,000 in most cases. 

Also, when I try to go direct to a point on my flight plan, the FMC creates(?) another waypoint off route (labeled 005) and it takes some time for me to get to the next leg of the flight via heading mode until I can hit NAV and have it track again. If I just let it follow the route to the new waypoint (005) it takes me 10 miles off course before making a sharp turn direct to where I wanted to go. So, instead of going from A-B I go A-005-B when going direct. 

Any suggestions on these issues? Thanks in advance. 

I'm not sure why it would stop descending while in VS mode. Is the VNAV button engaged? Also you mentioned using VS mode in the climb out. I'm not sure if you typed 'climb out' by mistake and actually meant 'descent' but just incase VS mode is not used in the climb. It's actually against the AFM if I remember correctly. Not a big deal for sim world of course but I just thought I'd point that out. I did use it occasionally when I was climbing like a rocket ship and I knew there was traffic nearby above me. I'd set it to VS 1500↑ so as to not set off anyone's TCAS. 

7 minutes ago, Chaxterium said:

I'm not sure why it would stop descending while in VS mode. Is the VNAV button engaged? Also you mentioned using VS mode in the climb out. I'm not sure if you typed 'climb out' by mistake and actually meant 'descent' but just incase VS mode is not used in the climb. It's actually against the AFM if I remember correctly. Not a big deal for sim world of course but I just thought I'd point that out. I did use it occasionally when I was climbing like a rocket ship and I knew there was traffic nearby above me. I'd set it to VS 1500↑ so as to not set off anyone's TCAS. 

Yeah I use VS if I'm going to fast for my climb speed until I get near my speed I want than I hit speed. Where is the VNAV button? MCDU Menu on the bottom left? Is that the one you are referring to? I'm referring to is the spot on the menu where you can choose ON/OFF/VNAV/etc on the display. 

No I'm referring to the VNAV mode button on the MCP. It's the button just to the right of the altitude select knob. If that button is engaged then VS mode doesn't work.

Archived