CRJ not following the glide slope

2 minutes ago, Tom A320 said:

Talking about honest and open communication. The following was written 5 days before release...

So then clearly it's a much more significant issue than I realize. That's fair. I hope it can be solved soon.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vor 3 Minuten, Tom A320 sagte:

Talking about honest and open communication. The following was written 5 days before release...

Not really honest - blaming the simulator although there are free mods out there which handle ILS very well. If the the simulator has this issue and there are workarounds I expect an €50 software to have implemented them or at least admit that they did not have the time to do so but will in the future. 

8 minutes ago, flyingguitaristsam said:

I'm actually a real world pilot to be fair, not an airline pilot however. But I can watch videos of the CRJ and learn that the autopilot can handle config changes on an ILS. Additionally, I've used general aviation autopilots that do a much better job that the AS CRJ currently does on an ILS. None of that matters to be fair, I just dont get why the argument was made that the CRJ flaps somehow affect the real airplane's ability to do an AP ILS

You have not answered my question. Care to quantify your PC flight simulator experience with add-ons of similar complexity 2-3 weeks after their release? Perhaps bring a few examples? 

7 minutes ago, Cdr Maverick said:

There are free mods (FBW A320N and WT CJ4) which handle the ILS GS very well. So I think when I spend €50 I can expect that as well. 

Both have been out several months since their initial (very basic) release, and they've been iterated a ton since. If you started using them recently, they're nothing like they were when they first were made available. Properly following ILS glideslopes was the least of their problems then. Their developers have done an amazing job over a fairly long time, but let's not lose perspective. This has been out 3 weeks. 

3 minutes ago, Cdr Maverick said:

Not really honest - blaming the simulator although there are free mods out there which handle ILS very well. If the the simulator has this issue and there are workarounds I expect an €50 software to have implemented them or at least admit that they did not have the time to do so but will in the future. 

I agree that with you 100% and I did read the manual. TYVM for asking. The fact that every single aircraft that ive tried in MSFS does follow the G/S pretty much without too much trouble is an indication that Aerosoft should be able to do the same.  

^this. I don't know what classifies as "similar complexity" because the systems seem to be really good but then certain autopilot functions have issues. I'm not saying it's unacceptable to have issues 2 weeks after release, I understand the bugs and am glad to see work being done. But why try to justify them as the crj flaps mean the autopilot can't track the ils while changing configs instead of admitting the bug?

Just now, flyingguitaristsam said:

^this. I don't know what classifies as "similar complexity" because the systems seem to be really good but then certain autopilot functions have issues. I'm not saying it's unacceptable to have issues 2 weeks after release, but why try to justify them as the crj flaps mean the autopilot can track the ils while changing configs?

Still not answering the question. 

Is it so hard to simply admit that you're a relative newbie with PC flight simulators and you're actually unaware that airliner add-ons *always* launch with comparable issues (actually, it's usually much worse) that normally get solved over time simply as a byproduct of their complexity as a software? 

Just now, flyingguitaristsam said:

Is it so hard to admit maybe you were wrong about the real plane when you said this:

Please login to display this image.

You've now dodged the question six times. Shall we go for 7? 😂

7 minutes ago, flyingguitaristsam said:

I answered it now. I never said bugs aren't allowed, but this bug is pretty frustrating especially when people on here try to defend that it's okay

Whether it's ok or not is a different issue. It's not ok if they don't get fixed. But since now you're begrudgingly revealed your experience in this specific field, let me tell you. This is *nothing* in PC flight simulators, even more so in their infancy. The fact that this add-on actually follows the LNAV route quite well is already a remarkable feat. VNAV is usually a lot more problematic. 

This is not to say that problems don't exist and that they should not be fixed, but if you intend to keep flying this kind of aircraft (or even more complex), and to keep purchasing them before they had a few months of the market to get put through their paces by a lot of people in a much wider variety of situations than what can be tested in-house, get used to this, because it isn't going to change. Having issues on the ILS is very common as it's the part of VNAV that requires the most finesse, so it exacerbates the problems further. 

This is already (and surprisingly) above industry standards in terms of initial quality and polish. It may not be ideal, but it's the reality of things. 

• Aerosoft

My friends (and I mean that).... I am closing this topic because it is counterproductive and toxic. Most people just seem to add without reading. Even more just start to click up and down votes without reading (I seen somebody come online and giving 9 downvotes in the first 92 seconds he was online). Some of the comments here are simply not acceptable. If you want to discuss things with those words there are dozens of forums on the internet.  I will not allow my developers to be ridiculed here. 

Let's get a few points straight):

1. We absolutely agree that ILS following should be better. Nobody has ever claimed anything else.
  2. Exactly what triggers the problems is impossible to determine at this moment, as we can all see it seems to affect some people way more than others. If we would know we might make a tweak, we simply do not know right now. 
  3. We have tried really hard but using WASM coding it is simply very hard. The fact less complex aircraft can do it does not really mean a lot because we can't use XML/Java but have to use C++/WASM to do what we want to do. EVERY seriously complex aircraft you will see for MSFS will be using C++ and they will all face the same problems as we do.
  4. We have discussed these things WAY before release. We tried to be as open as possible about them.
  5. These issues have been discussed with Asobo and will be discussed again. We are to a large degree depending on what the simulator can deliver.
  6. We believe that at this moment, with our knowledge, ILS following is as good as the circumstances allow for a complex add-on that is forced to use C++/WASM. 
  7. When you compare the CRJ to fantastic community efforts to enhance default aircraft, keep in mind none of them have 1/5th the code we use. And do keep in mind we love those efforts, we support them as much as we can. Just ask them. But the problem is that adding complexity on one hand using C++ locks you out of other things. That is the state of the sim at this moment. 
  8. Just when I was very upset about this topic, I got a mail. From a CRJ pilot who invited me a few times to his flightdeck. He even allowed me a few seconds of time on the stick.  I copy a few lines of his mail:
    "Simmers always seem to believe airliners are perfect machines. I can't even start to count the times I decide my aircraft systems started to do something I did not agree with. In these cases I did not post a message on a forum, but switched off the system, looked at the paper chart and flew the damned procedure. And if you ask my right seatert a lot better than the systems would ever be able to do.  I am trained to do this shit you know? I agree with your customers that your CRJ sometimes messes up a glideslope. The real CRJ does that (1990 systems) I have no idea why. But I have never messed up a touchdown because of it.  If your customers do, tell them they have a yoke, rudders and throttles. I have never met a pilot who believed a computer could approach/land better than he could.  "

If you have anything to tell us that is not covered by post, feel free to make a new post, with details etc. Honestly, we want to solve this issue, make a new topic is you have new information. 

If you simply do not want to believe what we (I) tried to explain, just vote this post down. I got something like 38.000 upvotes. I can stand a few downvotes from people who just want to click.  In the ten years we use this system I have not even removed down votes from a person who believed the earth was flat and we (Aerosoft) supported Bill Gates to create a world dominating government.  Every other downvote is still there.  Feel free to downvote the absolutely factual post from Hans. Those downvotes however will be deleted by me because I know what Hans wrote is 100% true.  

Archived