CRJ not following the glide slope

Hi first of all thank you so much for this amazing plane cause it has improve FS2020 a lot. 

My problem is that after intercepting the glideslope (GS turns green) the plane starts to pitch down and lose altitude away from the glideslope, this forces me to deactivate the autopilot and take manual control. Has anyone experienced this error?

In the attached image you can see how despite the GS being activated, the FD wants the plane to start to fall apart very quickly. Right after this capture the plane started to lose altitude very fast and I had to take control. This error always happens to me and I am somewhat desperate.

Thanks

Diego

Please login to display this image.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, seems like quite a few people are experiencing this, myself included. Though I had it happen one flight and not the next - going to the same airport, same runway and approach.

Still trying to isolate it and figure it out.

Thanks for the picture at least. Why does your nav source still FMS1? I'm sure mine switches to LOC automatically.

I only checked it a couple of times out of around 12 ILS flights using AP and I didn't look to see the source every time so I can't be sure it did switch. But I've never had this problem either.

A thought: Do you have the radios on manual or auto tuning? If, like in the videos you selected manual on take-off but didn't change it to auto in flight, I wonder what that would do?

I think this situation is like many where people are talking about similar but maybe different bugs (AP not working is a case on point). Everyone just assumes they know what the others are experiencing is the same from a general words like "nose dive" as if there can only be a single cause. In most reports there is zero info about the setup conditions so nothing for a dev to actually work with except a lot of assumptions. Which is often worse than useless.

As a general comment. Without a video I think most of these comments are pretty much pointless. Han's feels he needs to replace Asobo's code with his own to be done with it. Great, that might fix it quicker than Asobo. But meanwhile he can't spend that time doing other fixes and he is guessing at a solution based on largely unverified information. That isn't good.

I think you're making the same mistake as I did. You need to turn the button left of the PFD to set the nav source to the localizer (going green on the needles). Check The Dude's video, episode 9, 4:25 minutes.

I still had an issue with the flight director going down to much, but by turning it off and back on again, it was ok.

9 hours ago, Thx1137 said:

Thanks for the picture at least. Why does your nav source still FMS1? I'm sure mine switches to LOC automatically.

I only checked it a couple of times out of around 12 ILS flights using AP and I didn't look to see the source every time so I can't be sure it did switch. But I've never had this problem either.

A thought: Do you have the radios on manual or auto tuning? If, like in the videos you selected manual on take-off but didn't change it to auto in flight, I wonder what that would do?

I think this situation is like many where people are talking about similar but maybe different bugs (AP not working is a case on point). Everyone just assumes they know what the others are experiencing is the same from a general words like "nose dive" as if there can only be a single cause. In most reports there is zero info about the setup conditions so nothing for a dev to actually work with except a lot of assumptions. Which is often worse than useless.

As a general comment. Without a video I think most of these comments are pretty much pointless. Han's feels he needs to replace Asobo's code with his own to be done with it. Great, that might fix it quicker than Asobo. But meanwhile he can't spend that time doing other fixes and he is guessing at a solution based on largely unverified information. That isn't good.

Thanks so much  for your reply, I always have my radios on auto tuning, regarding the nav source, in my case it didn't change automatically but I'll try to do it manually next time and see if that makes the difference. 

Next time I'll try doing a video if the problem persists but I've never done one so it may be interesting.

Thanks anyway and take care!

57 minutes ago, TheFly77 said:

I think you're making the same mistake as I did. You need to turn the button left of the PFD to set the nav source to the localizer (going green on the needles). Check The Dude's video, episode 9, 4:25 minutes.

I still had an issue with the flight director going down to much, but by turning it off and back on again, it was ok.

Thanks so much for your answer, I'll follow your advise and next time I will manually select the localizer on the nav source and I hope your advice of turning off and on again the FD fixes everithing.

Thanks and take care!

11 hours ago, Diego Alvarez said:

Thanks so much  for your reply, I always have my radios on auto tuning, regarding the nav source, in my case it didn't change automatically but I'll try to do it manually next time and see if that makes the difference. 

Next time I'll try doing a video if the problem persists but I've never done one so it may be interesting.

Thanks anyway and take care!

I seem to get ILS guidance that works without changing the Nav Source. So I'm a little confused! Time to read up some more!

But I tested the aircraft by setting the radio to manual and having the wrong frequency. The FMC knew it was wrong and told me it was selecting the right frequency so yeah, Manual vs Auto has nothing to do with it.

Nav-to-Nav transfer (i.e. automatically changing nav source from FMS1 in white to LOC1 in blue) is implemented, and works well. The important part is to arm APR mode *before* you get to the final approach fix, while still in white FMS nav source (and load the ILS approach procedure out of the FMS DEP/ARR page, sequenced to the Final Approach Fix).

Also, since there is some confusion on AUTO / MANUAL on the tuning page of the radios. This won't effect nav to nav transfer that was mentioned above, as long as you don't mess with it after it has already tuned the LOC frequency for the approach. If you are in manual, you will get a message that says LOC WILL BE TUNED, approx 30 seconds before it tunes the LOC frequency. If you are in AUTO tune, it will just tune it without alerting you. No alert, because in AUTO it has already been tuning VOR/DME frequencies in the background the entire time to assist the FMS with computing its position.  

Here is a photo just before and after auto transfer:

Thanks, yeah I tried it last night and both of LOC WILL BE TUNED worked as did auto switching LOC1.

So I guess a question are.

1. Do the people having an issue have a proper flight plan with approach procedure?

2. Does nav source auto changing work for them and if not why? So it would be good to know how far they were from the IAF.

3. When would you want to change the nav source manually? One obvious one be the sound of it is if you are past or nearly past the IAF. How early is too early to do it manually?

Can anyone having the issue provide the exact flight plan and any edit steps they used? I'd be interest to see if I can get mine to fail.

9/10 Landings I got this Nose dive off death. Everything is tuned correctly and 1/10 flight it does work. I also followed the recommends to intercept the ILS with a slightly decent and not from level flight. It simply does not work well and it is no fun. I love this aircraft but right now it is only a nice weather aircraft. Imagine what will happen in fully ICR conditions if the visibility is near 0?!. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Otherwise a great aircraft. BTW..... the A32NX does not have this issue. Every ILS approach goes well.

• Aerosoft
25 minutes ago, Carsten12 said:

9/10 Landings I got this Nose dive off death. Everything is tuned correctly and 1/10 flight it does work. I also followed the recommends to intercept the ILS with a slightly decent and not from level flight. It simply does not work well and it is no fun. I love this aircraft but right now it is only a nice weather aircraft. Imagine what will happen in fully ICR conditions if the visibility is near 0?!. This needs to be fixed ASAP. Otherwise a great aircraft. BTW..... the A32NX does not have this issue. Every ILS approach goes well.

So why not simply fly it manual for now?  As we explained this issue is being investigated and discussed with Asobo. 
You can also try to watch one of the many videos (think we got over a 100 listed now) and see what these people do different from you.

For the CRJ 700 in this sim, lets say level at 3000 ft, 140 kts, full flaps is 70% n1. It will fly a flat pitch angle, maybe the wing is far back and a high thrust line. to avoid the glideslope dive, you have to lower the altitude to say 2000 ft and put in in VS, then before the glideslope intercept, you go gear down, VS down 3 or 4 hundred ft per minute (slow clicks) and 60% n1, about 135 kts with APPR armed to intercept. All on autopilot.

Had this issue for the first time today. It was a little disappointing but no big issue. I disconnected the AP and manually flew the approach.

On another note I didn't know the TCAS warning system actually functions with the game AI.

I even had a TCAS traffic alert warning. 

I was landing at KDFW and these screenshots are from the replay... so all that you see on the PFD and MFD may look odd.

Assuming the GS issue was fixed in today's update, I tried the ILS landing but I seem to have issues. Could be some stuff that I am doing may not be right. It looks like the LOC and GS is not activated.. but that's cause its a screenshot from the replay. Both were activated when landing for the first time.

I am out 20 kt miles away from DFW landing on 18R. The frequency is autotuned. and I am at 3000 feet (Airport elevation is around 650 feet)  trying to capture the GS, the Loc is already in green and my Nav was set to Loc1 from FMS1 and tracking the LOC to capture the GS. I see the Green Diamond and when it captured, I got the gear down and minor adjustment to the Power and It looked all good the FD Magenta GS Line and the Green Diamond  was in Sync. But at around 1000 AGL the Magenta line (the AP follows this) takes a dive leaving the Green Diamond above so I took over manually and landed the same.

The Q is, Shouldn't the Magenta horizontal line not match to be in synch with the GS (Green diamond)?

https://ibb.co/bbP2Xn2

I am way low here, when I had to take manual control and disable AP

https://ibb.co/2N6jhPW

Manny

1 minute ago, awf said:

I notice that your speed is to low anyway 😉

Yeah I thought about that..is that the reason the FD is diving to gain my speed back? 

I can try this landing once more and report back. 

1 minute ago, Manny said:

Yeah I thought about that..is that the reason the FD is diving to gain my speed back? 

I can try this landing once more and report back. 

Yep I suspect that could be an issue

Just now, awf said:

Yep I suspect that could be an issue

I was well above the stall speed..even though I usually set it at 140 kt as the landing speed target. Let me try again.

3 minutes ago, Manny said:

I was well above the stall speed..even though I usually set it at 140 kt as the landing speed target. Let me try again.

You should be at VREF + 10 (Flaps 45 and max +10 or 1/2 gust) I believe, and can also be set via the EFB

13 minutes ago, awf said:

You should be at VREF + 10 (Flaps 45 and max +10 or 1/2 gust) I believe, and can also be set via the EFB

I did the same approach this time I kept the speed at 150 kts and it still takes a dive. this time I took a screenshot from the flight not replay so it shows I am on LOC and GS activated.

14 minutes ago, Manny said:

I agree with awf. In that situation where I'm a fair bit slower than I should be I'll add a little power and as it comes on lower do small adjustments to pitch. You are at maybe 132 kts there so that is anywhere from 4 to 15 kts under-speed based on te range the EFB has been telling me. Even 4 kts under I wouldnt be happy with. Personally I prefer to be a couple of knots too fast than slow at all. It isn't (just) about stalls, it is about handling and safety. With all that drag at full flaps and gear down a slow speed can get a slot slower a lot quicker and the engines have a spool-up time.

Things to consider:

1. Mass - The plane will take longer to respond so the earlier you fix and issue the better.

2. Engine power - A small adjustment still takes time to apply. It can be easy to over do it so you end up oscillating back and forth.

What you have there though is a main reason why the aircraft is awesome. When we start landing these accurately, reliably and smoothly and it feels like a great achievement!

I had a minor issue with the new update yesterday - KTLH 27, intercept was messy from the LNAV but it did correct, and start following the GS (although showed VGP in the PFD). However around 1500' it started levelling off - not completely, but it ended up losing the GS requiring manual intervention. Speed was around 140kts at the time.

Archived