I have a problem in VR

swennie01

Hello friends,

I only use MSFS in VR. I could not await the CRJ 700 but when in VR it is not possible to set any altitude. When my view is focussed at the PFD I cannot handle the Alt-Selector knob and otherway round.

I tried to set a joystick button via FSUIPC (AP Alt Var Inc / Dec) but it is not working like in the other stock planes. Heading selector and speed selector is working fine with FSUIPC, Alt-selection no way?

Has anybody a solution for me?

Thanks

Jens

I agree that it is hard to set various settings on the MCP and at the same time see the values on the MFD's.

Have You tried to hold the Alt-Gr key (Right ALT key), then hover the mouse over the MFD where the setting is shown and click ?

A undocked version of the MFD will appear.

I confess that I have not used this solution in VR myself yet.

What I have done so far is to read the present value and then turn my head to the knob and count the number of scroll wheel "clicks". Not perfect but kind of works for me.

17 minutes ago, swennie01 said:

Hello friends,

I only use MSFS in VR. I could not await the CRJ 700 but when in VR it is not possible to set any altitude. When my view is focussed at the PFD I cannot handle the Alt-Selector knob and otherway round.

I tried to set a joystick button via FSUIPC (AP Alt Var Inc / Dec) but it is not working like in the other stock planes. Heading selector and speed selector is working fine with FSUIPC, Alt-selection no way?

Has anybody a solution for me?

Thanks

Jens

I use a combination of the HUD, which makes the selected altitude easier to read, along with the MSFS Cockpit Interaction commands, that effectively let you hold on to the alt sel knob and adjust it, without having to be looking at it.  Maybe check out "Sticky" controls - Virtual Reality (VR) / Cockpit Interaction - Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums 

• Deputy Sheriffs

Just my 2 cents here, I fly the CRJ with a G2 and I have no problems with what is described here. If I put my mouse on the altitude knob on the FCP and look at my left winglet I can still change the altitude value in the PFD by rotating the mouse wheel.

What do you mean by focussed? Clicking the right mouse button to zoom in? If yes than it is an MSFS problem. 

Hi Dude

what i mean is when I am selecting the desired altitude at the glare-shield I cannot check the proper indication at the PFD at the same time. 

When I lean forward or zoom in to see the numbers at the PFD I cannot twist the knob at the glare-shield at the same time. The mouse pointer is loosing focus /contact to the knob. (I am using a Rift and for me the indications at the PFD are almost not readable in the CRJ. I have to zoom in)

As a solution for it I used FSUIPC in the past where I designed a joystick button for this job. Regarding the Alt-selector it is not working in the CRJ.

Caterpillar

I checked "Sticky controls" but it is not working for me at all. Very sad, it could have been the solution.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I have to look at my settings because my mouse pointer is not loosing the focus/contact with the knob. I can lean forward to have a closer look at the PFD and it still works. Maybe it is an Oculus thing.

32 minutes ago, swennie01 said:

Caterpillar

I checked "Sticky controls" but it is not working for me at all. Very sad, it could have been the solution.

Exactly what is it or isn't it doing?

If you've mapped a button/key to the 'cockpit interaction - primary control' command, then you need to press that key after you have hovered over the Altitude knob, for this example, and seen the curved arrow.  The mouse pointer should disappear and you should then be able to use the buttons/keys that you had mapped, to increase or decrease the altitude.

The only other things, i can think of, that might stop it working are:-

1. If you press the right mouse(zoom) button after selecting the primary control, that will be deselected

2. If you move your head too much away from the point that it was when you selected the primary control, the value won't change when you use the inc/dec commands.

30 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I have to look at my settings because my mouse pointer is not loosing the focus/contact with the knob. I can lean forward to have a closer look at the PFD and it still works. Maybe it is an Oculus thing.

It does vary a little, but it does stop working after a point.

Maybe I'm just having to move in a lot more, as I have yet to get a G2.  That probably won't be a problem for me for long though.  :)

Caterpillar

Exactly what is it or isn't it doing?

If you've mapped a button/key to the 'cockpit interaction - primary control' command, then you need to press that key after you have hovered over the Altitude knob, for this example, and seen the curved arrow.  The mouse pointer should disappear and you should then be able to use the buttons/keys that you had mapped, to increase or decrease the altitude.

I made the settings in the control section of MSFS but I cannot activate the primary control command. It is no difference to asign mouse buttons or my Hotas buttons. I can see the mouse pointer and the curved arrow but when pressing the button for primary control nothing happens

I have already checked if there is a conflict in a possible multi assignment of buttons. 

On 3/21/2021 at 3:01 PM, Mathijs Kok said:

We will try to get some more structured VR testing organised this week. It is a bit hard to see what;'s for the add-on and what is for the sim.

Thanks Finn btw, cool to see you active here.

This topic is another reason to provide a cockpit tool tips option specific to this plane despite their "ugliness" ;-). I use a small mod that hides them until I depress and hold the left ALT key and even then when the tip does show, it's in a much smaller format that is less "ugly". And since tool tips can be toggled on/off in FS controls, the people who have no need for them and/or find them intrusive, can simply select off. Setting HDG, ALT, VS or CRS would be immeasurably improved in VR and even regular 2D for that matter.

Cheers,

Same issue here (G2, 3090,etc. etc.). 

Put arrow on altitude adjust knob, look at screen to see number, arrow moves in front of me leaving the knob. So I have to look at knob, start moving it then look quickly to see if I guess the correct number of clicks. Getting better at it but not the best. Would love to be able to set it like I have in the 320 and all other planes. Button up moves up, button down altitude moves down.

I'm running a Quest 2 so visual detail is not at the level of a G2 (some will argue otherwise...). My issue which would be solved nicely with cockpit tool-tips brought to this jet as it is in every other a/c., is: Yes I can place the mouse cursor on the ALT knob, then look at the PFD but I have to lean in in order to read the digits and when I do the mouse will often leave its position on the knob and I have to start that whole dance again. Today I needed 5 attempts to set FL320. This issue will become moot hopefully sometime soon when we are again able to use hardware mapping for ALT selection (without buying FSUIPC or AAO's). I am thankful that I can still adjust HDG and VS with my joystick controls. 

• Aerosoft

We are asking for help on this, but at this very moment the SDK we are working with is not really serious about VR.... 
Just check https://docs.flightsimulator.com/html/index.htm?rhsearch=VR

We really like to make products fully VR compatible ( and understand why it works for some people and not others), but we need an SDK to tell us what to do.

I wish to suggest to include (at least set the option) a label with selected value when manipulating knobs, like tool tips in default Asobo planes. So eyes can stay focused on knobs during selection and than double check the selected value in PFD.

Not 100% real but to me very useful.

Please login to display this image.

Archived