Flight in severe Icing conditions, no climb performance

Ben van Boom

Hi,

I am enjoying the CRJ a lot, Aerosoft deserves a lot of credits to have the courage coming with the first airline simulation in MSFS, where other developers wait because of the current limitations in the sim.

Developer Alexander already stated that severe icing conditions has a negative impact on the CRJ.

Today i flew my first longer flight (1 hour and 20 minutes) at a cruise level higher then i cruised before on the shorter flights.

I flew from Reggio Calabria (LICR) to Santorini (LGSN) at FL350.

In southern Italy there was a very big bad weather front with clouds up to 30.000 ft, rain and thunderstorms.

While i have set Icing to "visible only" in the sim, the aircraft stopped climbing from FL250-270 and upwards while still in the clouds....i had to change Climb modes from SPD to VS to get any climb performance at all and had to be aware to keep the speed up.

After about 35 minutes i reached the end of the weather front and cleared the clouds, as soon as i cleared the clouds the climb performance immediately increased from +100 ft/min to +1.800 ft/min.

When i wasn't clearing this weather front, i am sure i would not be able to reach my cruising level (FL350) at all.

I used 500KG more fuel than planned.

There was no visible icing on the aircraft, i suspect that is not coded in the CRJ, but i found the increase in climb performance very strange (as soon i cleared the clouds... instantly the climb performance came back)

When i read Alexanders post about icing, i suspect this is a problem in the sim (and not of the CRJ), then i hope Asobo will fix this ....

Regards,

Ben

Same issue here. I was approaching ENZV Stavanger, no big deal with some clouds, no storm, and also Icing set to "visible only" in the sim (ICE is far away from real in every sim). But during descend and with anti-ice on, the aircraft was unflyable. I could land with high speed and also after landed the ICE indication remained active in spite of no ice around. There was no visible icing in the aircraft in any moment.

I hope they look and correct it soon.

Regards

Not sure if it is the same but i already made a zendesk ticket months ago with Asobo ( cclosed in a few days of course)

CLOUDS reduce speed with me ( no icing it ) when i enter a cloud speed drops ... as soon as i am out speed picks up. Took me 1.5 hours once to try to climb to 15000 ft in a C208 through clouds with NO icing.

again NO icing. Tested by me and several others 

not sure if we talk about the same issue... but perhaps u can check

Archived