CRJ honest review

ASH624

vor 21 Stunden , Mathijs Kok sagte:

Is there a reason you do not simply pop them up? Even undock? On my screen I can then read the text from a meter away without problems. And there are of course other options, new viewpoints that can make the characters huge, zoom in.... 

In the end we simply can't make the displays larger then they are and when you use a bigger font the information simply does not fit. All text would overlap.

Hi there, some suggestion for improvement...
When popping up one screen, it will open to a large window, too large to be usefull. After resizing the window, closing and opening it again, the pop-up window will again open to a large window. Popping a second screen will result in a useless cluster of windows.
It would be handy to have pop-up windows that remember the last size and place so we can open and close the pop-up windows as needed without having to resize and reposition them.

And by the way, the aircraft is something you can be proud of creating!

21 hours ago, Finn said:

And if they made the font's larger and more readbale the "die hard realism" guys would chime in and whine about wrong text size.

HaveYou tried to press "Alt Gr" (Right ALT) and the hovering the mouse over the Displays ?

A looking glass will appear and You can open a resizable undocked version of the Display.

An idea I had that could be a good compromise would be to have tooltips (like many other aircraft/the defaults) that popup for some of the knobs. For example on LDG ELEV, HDG, ALT are the first that come to mind. If I remember correctly there's even an option to turn these off in MSFS settings, so everybody wins!

Popping out the displays is all well and good but I think most people experience significant reduction in frame rate when doing so, unfortunately! 

1 hour ago, JRBarrett said:

I use a 4K monitor which helps with reading the displays, but you can also set your own custom views that are zoomed in closer. That is what I have done for the pilot, center and copilot views, as well as a zoomed view of the pilot’s FMS. My custom views are probably zoomed 30 percent over the default, but I can still see over the glare shield by pressing the space bar. 

The fonts in the real aircraft really are as small as you see them, as is the glideslope diamond. The green shade of the GS diamond is, IMO, a poor color choice by Rockwell Collins, but that is exactly how it looks in the real aircraft.

The real displays have to pack a lot of information in a small space. The danger of trying to increase the font size above the existing size in the sim is that the formatting of the display might look really bad.

Turning before actually reaching a waypoint is normal behavior for the real CRJ autopilot, (as it is in most airliners) unless the waypoint is marked as a mandatory flyover waypoint in the Nav data. This is known as “turn anticipation”, and the aircraft will normally cut the corner on the inside of the waypoint, then rejoin the path beyond it. A strong crosswind will complicate things, and perhaps more tuning can be done in this area. My experience has been that with no (or light) winds aloft, the lateral tracking is excellent even with very sharp course changes.

A mandatory flyover waypoint can be a struggle even for the real CRJ, because turn anticipation cannot be used - the aircraft must directly overfly the center of the waypoint, and only then can it begin turning to the new course.

In testing, I have never seen the issue where the barometric setting flashes anywhere but at the defined TA/TL. I do all my flying in the US, and use the default 18,000 feet. I have not tried setting a different TA/TL - perhaps there is an issue there. I will check this.

I know about turn antecipation, the thing is that it turns way too soon undershooting the track completely and then has to bank the other way trying to find the track again... I think it may be related to msfs A/P issues rather than aerosoft

Thanks to all that have replied to my original post. Please note that I think its a great aircraft, clearly taking an incredible amount of time to put together, but for simming, usability in my opinion should be ahead of "total realism". Yes the screens are small in the CRJ, but its no good if you cant read the important info. My main issue is with selected ALT font/size in the PFD, its ridiculous for simming whether realistic or not. Look at the CRJ picture attached below, you cant read the set alt from the seat.

You should not have to resort to "pull out views" in order to read the important stuff. I compare this with Premier 1 jet or Legacy 650, both of which have the important info that can be read from the pilots seating position without having to zoom in or resort to a windowed view.

As for "turning before reaching" a waypoint, no, what you describe is not what I mentioned. The CRJ often turns far too soon and too sharp, way before the WP, then has to turn back again several times to correct itself. This isn't normal "turn anticipation".

The ILS capture diamond might be realistic, but its too tiny for a simulator. Of course, all those with monitors the size of a tennis court may think its great. I have a 34inch ultrawide and I struggle.

Anyway, I have said my piece, all my opinion only, others have different opinions which I will of course respect.

This is a very nice aircraft and a welcome addition to MSFS, but it could be a stunning addition if you could actually read the important font.

Over and out.

Please login to display this image.

• Aerosoft

On my monitor I can get that window 25 cm high and 19 wide. That is as high as my monitor. it simply CAN'T be any larger. I am sorry you are unhappy but you are asking something that is impossible. We can't make a completely fake cockpit with displays that are three times as large as they are.

Archived