The aircraft is losing performance in icing conditions

• Developer

I have done tests with a GA aircraft and the CRJ flying through moderate icing conditions: 8000 ft ISA -10C broken clouds.
The GA aircraft lost speed from 110 kts to 75 kts and the stall alarm came on. So the icing builds up weight to generate an icing effect, just like it used to be in FSX. Switching to Icing Failure : VISUAL ONLY did not help at all. Which explains that people are still seeing the effect despite we thought eliminating the effect by changing the failure setting would help.

On the CRJ, I took an approach situation 230 kts, Flaps 1, 8000 ft and broken clouds. AP HDG and ALT CAP
Diving into the clouds the ICE warning came on and the speed dropped by 20 kts and the pitch naturally went up and beyond from the additional weight. Back in the blue it recovered.
Doing the same with switching AI on wings and cowlings to ON, ICE light gets OFF, the speed was maintained. Conclusion: WAI and COI are working, but a loss in thrust nor N1 is simulated by the sim.
Again this was tested with the two options in the Icing Failure options with no difference in effect.

Recommendation: If you fly in possible icing conditions, especially with real weather, the icing effect could be more severe than what I have tested above. Activating CAI and WAI should help as demonstrated above, but we cannot guarantee that depending on the ridiculous old icing effect of just putting weight on the aircraft you may survive.

Archived