Keybindings

DanielLOWG

Hello

First I have to say, the CRJ is already a well done DLC and I have great fun by flying it.

However, there is one thing which is really missing in my opinion:

I have set keybindings for the auto pilot like inc/dec heading, altitude, speed, vertical speed for the flight simulator.

This keybindings have no effect when I fly the CRJ. This is very inconvenient, as it is necessary to always use the mouse.

The same issue is in case of taxi/landing lights.

Please connect as much as possible simulator inbuild keybindings to the CRJ.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Daniel

• Deputy Sheriffs

hello Daniel,

These commands use our custom variables that cannot be mapped through the default MSFS key assignments settings. I'm sorry.

Thank you for your fast response!

I'm a little bit spoiled by the possibility of custom keybindings like they are common for X-Plane 😉

Is there any other possibility to establish key bindings to these CRJ specific commands?

6 hours ago, Secondator said:

hello Daniel,

These commands use our custom variables that cannot be mapped through the default MSFS key assignments settings. I'm sorry.

Is there anyway that this can be changed? It's INCREDIBLY annoying to have to use the mouse every time I want to change the altitude in the altitude select window. And to make things even more annoying I have to position the camera in a very specific spot so that I can see the altitude on the PFD while still being able to adjust the altitude knob otherwise I have no idea what I'm adjusting it to. 

I love the plane. You guys have done a great job but god damn this part's annoying.

Oddly enough I have the speed setting mapped to buttons on my joystick and they work perfectly fine. Heading as well. What's the difference there?

There are 3rd party addons that can be used to map buttons to these knobs. You need an addon that is able to address the so called "LVARs" in MSFS. I know it works e.g. in AxisAndOhs and in spad.next, possibly others as well.

On 20.3.2021 at 22:20, Secondator sagte:

hello Daniel,

Now I'm really disappointed, because the AOM Part1 "Appendix 5: MFS Key Commands" on Page 1-1-50 of this product is mentioning the keyboard controls for example for dec/inc autopilot reference altitude, dec/inc autopilot reference VS, and so on. So the manual says it has to work, or why is the description for these key commands there?

Furthermore, I found out, that the heading for example is working, but only if I do it once by click action before.

So it seems that it could work with MSFS key assignments.

It can't be that difficult to link your custom variables to this default input variables of the simulator for all autopilot commands.

It would be a shame, if the plane would fail on such a basic subject, because the simulations of the systems and the feeling of flying the CRJ is great.

But without a reasonable handling of the AP functions it is not usable, especially not for online flights (VATSIM).

I kindly ask you to fix this topic.

Best regards

Daniel

I use FSUIPC to bind the Bravo throttle quadrant, but am unable to find a variable here for the altitude setting knob. I get it to work for the other AP settings - noteably VS and Speed, although the NAV setting seems strange, but I think that is because pressing NAV more than once sets the AP differently - still trying to work that out. However the point here is that I can find no way of binding through FSUIPC for increase/decrease altitude using the normal way (left hand dial set to "select altitude bug" and the right hand dial set to plus/minus to increase/decrease appropriately). I believe that there is a way to do this using LVars mentioned above, but I think this is programming beyond me. If there is no way to change the behaviour of the simulation to resolve this, would it be at least possible to have the FSUIPC (and perhaps Axes and Ohs and spad as well) files/mapping made available to enable this for us non programming experts - or at least a dummies guide to doing this with some standard files that can be used?

Thanks

• Aerosoft
14 hours ago, DanielLOWG said:

Now I'm really disappointed, because the AOM Part1 "Appendix 5: MFS Key Commands" on Page 1-1-50 of this product is mentioning the keyboard controls for example for dec/inc autopilot reference altitude, dec/inc autopilot reference VS, and so on. So the manual says it has to work, or why is the description for these key commands there?

I will add to the manual that these are DEFAULT key commands and will only work when the add-on uses default systems. When we make our own better system the key command will not work. This is the same for every add-on and not specific for the CRJ btw.

15 hours ago, GordonGreig said:

I use FSUIPC to bind the Bravo throttle quadrant, but am unable to find a variable here for the altitude setting knob. I get it to work for the other AP settings - noteably VS and Speed, although the NAV setting seems strange, but I think that is because pressing NAV more than once sets the AP differently - still trying to work that out. However the point here is that I can find no way of binding through FSUIPC for increase/decrease altitude using the normal way (left hand dial set to "select altitude bug" and the right hand dial set to plus/minus to increase/decrease appropriately). I believe that there is a way to do this using LVars mentioned above, but I think this is programming beyond me. If there is no way to change the behaviour of the simulation to resolve this, would it be at least possible to have the FSUIPC (and perhaps Axes and Ohs and spad as well) files/mapping made available to enable this for us non programming experts - or at least a dummies guide to doing this with some standard files that can be used?

Thanks

I found this on spad.next discord... not tried yet

I am happy with:
    <EventActionChangeValue TargetDataDefinition="LVAR:ASCRJ_FCP_SPEED_CHANGE" Value="1" ValueOperation="Set" /> (Action)
    <EventActionChangeValue TargetDataDefinition="LVAR:ASCRJ_FCP_SPEED_SEL" Value="3" ValueOperation="Increment" /> (Animation)

[03:11]
for increase
[03:12]
for decrease use opposite: set -1 on CHANGE and decrement by 3 on SEL
[03:13]
HDG, CRS, VS, ALT are similar

you can find a full LVARs list here...

On 3/21/2021 at 12:20 AM, Secondator said:

hello Daniel,

Then another question, why not use the game SimVars?

• 11 months later...

Old thread ........ but the problem still exists. Why does EVERY function of the autopilot works with honeycomb bravo but why can't we change the altitude !!!!

On 3/21/2021 at 4:24 AM, Chaxterium said:

Is there anyway that this can be changed? It's INCREDIBLY annoying to have to use the mouse every time I want to change the altitude in the altitude select window. And to make things even more annoying I have to position the camera in a very specific spot so that I can see the altitude on the PFD while still being able to adjust the altitude knob otherwise I have no idea what I'm adjusting it to. 

Still no solution after a year? And for sure I don't want to buy spad and not AxisAndOhs.

Bernhard

• Aerosoft

Because it is not using a sim default variable. Those will always (and have always) required additional software.  Without this kind of software the only thing you can control are the standard variables of the sim so you could never control a more advanced system.

Sorry, but I don't understand! Why can I change v/s hdg nav but not altitude?? Is altitude a non standard variable and all others are standard variables??? Is this a weakness of MSFS? Or weakness of CRJ?

Bernhard

• Aerosoft

Some of the things in the CRJ are using default functions, but if the default function does not do exactly what we need. we code our own. And those can not be bound to commands or hardware by the sim. In principle the sim could have a module that looks for Lvars and connect them to controls but that would be incredibly complex and error prone.  The tools we advise do all that in a fantastic way.

As I said, it has been that for decades and will most likely never change. 

it does indeed seem strange as other a/c including the Otter enable altitude setting change with that knob. It certainly is very annoying on the CRJ and I would have thought, worth re-visiting.

• Aerosoft
20 hours ago, Transair27 said:

it does indeed seem strange as other a/c including the Otter enable altitude setting change with that knob. It certainly is very annoying on the CRJ and I would have thought, worth re-visiting.

Okay, so you prefer a less accurate simulation to make a hardware device to work. We simply do not believe that is the right way to go about. It would limit all add-ons to only default systems. 

We offer all the help to make these things work, but we simply can't dumb down products for that. And believe me, in the near future there will be many DLC aircraft that simply do not use ANY default code. 

I have been waiting for an update for almost a year to get the altitude knob fixed. So what you say is that there will not come a fix and that we need to buy a 3rd party software?

In that case what is the best 3rd party software and is it easy to use? Am I sure all my Honeycomb knobs will work if I buy it?

Thomas

• Aerosoft
24 minutes ago, TomAce said:

I have been waiting for an update for almost a year to get the altitude knob fixed. So what you say is that there will not come a fix and that we need to buy a 3rd party software?

In that case what is the best 3rd party software and is it easy to use? Am I sure all my Honeycomb knobs will work if I buy it?

Thomas

Thomas, would you be so kind as to read my comments? 

10 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Thomas, would you be so kind as to read my comments? 

I have read your comments. Please don’t take my comment as critics. More like a question of what must I do to get my altitude knob on my (very expensive) HC Bravo to work properly with my beloved CRJ. I have no idea actually.

36 minutes ago, TomAce said:

I have read your comments. Please don’t take my comment as critics. More like a question of what must I do to get my altitude knob on my (very expensive) HC Bravo to work properly with my beloved CRJ. I have no idea actually.

3 choices.

1. Axis and Ohs, which I use and recommend

2. Spad.Next, which I understand is as good as Axis and Ohs but I cannot personally say because I don't use it.

3. FSUIPC...possibly.  I have heard it works with some controllers and not so well with others.  Again, I don't use it so I cannot recommend it personally. 

I have the HC Alpha, Bravo and MFG Crosswinds.  All my controls except for view commands are handled with AAO and my controller combination.  

44 minutes ago, Crabby said:

3. FSUIPC...possibly.  I have heard it works with some controllers and not so well with others.  Again, I don't use it so I cannot recommend it personally. 

With all respect to the Dowson brothers, this is definitely the least user-friendly out of all of them, and I can say this without having used the other two.  Probably worth a try if you already own it for other reasons, but in my (admittedly limited) attempts to use it I've had only surface-level success; I'm triggering animations with LVars, but not sure I'm triggering functions, even having the manual open to guide me as I go.

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Okay, so you prefer a less accurate simulation to make a hardware device to work. We simply do not believe that is the right way to go about. It would limit all add-ons to only default systems. 

We offer all the help to make these things work, but we simply can't dumb down products for that. And believe me, in the near future there will be many DLC aircraft that simply do not use ANY default code. 

I'm ignorant when it comes to how these are programmed.  If Alt select knob works in the Otter, why not in the CRJ?  what differences in AS programming prevent this?  This is what I cant grasp..

1 hour ago, Transair27 said:

I'm ignorant when it comes to how these are programmed.  If Alt select knob works in the Otter, why not in the CRJ?  what differences in AS programming prevent this?  This is what I cant grasp..

The simplest answer is one is an Otter and the other a CRJ.  They are programmed differently to achieve different results.  You can continue to look at all the questions when the answer is really simple.  Get Axis and Ohs and stop worrying about it (or Spad.next).  It works for all aircraft.  It is not affected by sim updates.  Sim updates will not erase or replace your controller assignments.  As more and more aircraft come out, the differences in programming will become larger and larger.  Either take charge yourself or play Monday morning programming quarterback. 

1 hour ago, Crabby said:

The simplest answer is one is an Otter and the other a CRJ.  They are programmed differently to achieve different results.  You can continue to look at all the questions when the answer is really simple.  Get Axis and Ohs and stop worrying about it (or Spad.next).  It works for all aircraft.  It is not affected by sim updates.  Sim updates will not erase or replace your controller assignments.  As more and more aircraft come out, the differences in programming will become larger and larger.  Either take charge yourself or play Monday morning programming quarterback. 

thanks...I've never gone down the path of these add-ons.   Maybe it's worth it as you say...

13 hours ago, Transair27 said:

thanks...I've never gone down the path of these add-ons.   Maybe it's worth it as you say...

I cannot find one instance of an Axis and Ohs or Spad.next user saying "well I wish I had not done this".  About the only complaint found are ones dealing with learning the program.  Frankly there are smarter folks than me using both programs and being kind enough to post templates.  All I really had to do was learn to import templates and assign them to aircraft.  I would rank either of these addons as the top MUST HAVE addons for MSFS

Archived