Turbulences caused by unreal weather

I think that this might be issue by lack of my skills so if someone could give me a tip :)

I'am using "unreal weather" addon for MSFS and sometimes when metar changes, it shakes whole plane and causes loss or increase of altitude or speed. Airbus handles this change well and pretty nice itself, but when Im in CRJ on FL380 and this occurs, I for eg. l suddenly lose 20-30kts , sometime also 100-200ft of altitude and now Im unable to reach FL380 again, while sitting in FL370-375 with IAS 200kts. Tried to manipulate trim down to pick up some speed, but after I gain speed arounf .74mach and try to climb again for FL380 it loses speed quickly and im on FL375 with 220 or 200kts, with no other option than to change cruise level FL370. After 10mins it suddenly gained enough speed to climb back to FL380 again. 

Any point of what was wrong here? Thanks

Btw this is AP on, VS -1500fpm, plane just point pitch up into the stall

Please login to display this image.

Make sure your altimeters on both Captains AND FO’s side are synced.   Essentially MSFS’s wx engine thinks you’re at two different altitudes apparently causing massive windshear.  I posted about this the other day.  It has definitely fixed the problem for me.  There is an option in the EFB options to automatically synchronize the altimeter settings.  If this is in fact the issue, I would encourage Aerosoft mods to include this in the faq.

Ive just got into stall out of nowhere after about 2hours of flying where everything was ok.. 5minutes of fighting the airplane to get out of it, when I even slow down and set lower altitude, flight director sets pitch for like 20 degrees up and plane follows it even without AP on.. Ive got it on video, now Im uploading it, after few minutes I'll post it here, so it might reveal some my mistake

12 minutes ago, ual763 said:

Make sure your altimeters on both Captains AND FO’s side are synced.   Essentially MSFS’s wx engine thinks you’re at two different altitudes apparently causing massive windshear.  I posted about this the other day.  It has definitely fixed the problem for me.  There is an option in the EFB options to automatically synchronize the altimeter settings.  If this is in fact the issue, I would encourage Aerosoft mods to include this in the faq.

tried it and on first look it seems that its better, will try more on other flights, thanks !

Just now, shnt said:

tried it and on first look it seems that its better, will try more on other flights, thanks !

There will still be some gusts (due to MSFS wind shifts). But, they shouldn’t make you feel like the plane is going to fall apart anymore.  

That flight director goes crazy... dont know if I did something THAT wrong :o but sychronizing all altimeters seems that fixed that problem, will see tommorow on another flight.

On 3/20/2021 at 12:50 AM, ual763 said:

Glad it’s seemed to work for you so far

yes that definitely works ! thanks 

Don’t expect too spectacular performance from AP in such situations. I’ve heard from several CRJ pilots that the real plane starts to have trouble holding alt and may deviate 200 ft if a kid starts running around the cabin from one end to other. Then they ask the FA to block the activity ☺️

after few days problem is back...

autopilot sets trim on 100% up 

so I set SPD mode to 0.74mach to climb back on 38.000ft, but FD still leads pitch up and CRJ is unable to gain speed and altitude

after few moments later when I tried to reset FD, NAV, AP, SPD it decides to rotate around a waypoint...

I just dont get it.. this is ridiculously frustrating, Throttle is set to CL Detent, Barometers are synchronized

Ive just tried to trim it manualy ,gain speed and try to climb with SPD mode again and I just get pitch pointed into the universe..

If its too heavy or anything that could explain that Im doing something wrong, or I want something that is undoable by this plane, then I would understand.. but it gets on this altitude excelently well and after random time it just goes into selfsuicide mode

2 hours ago, ual763 said:

Do you have your sim flight model set to Modern or Legacy mode?

yes, modern flight model, anti-ice visual only 

On 3/20/2021 at 3:34 AM, shnt said:

I think that this might be issue by lack of my skills so if someone could give me a tip :)

I'am using "unreal weather" addon for MSFS and sometimes when metar changes, it shakes whole plane and causes loss or increase of altitude or speed. Airbus handles this change well and pretty nice itself, but when Im in CRJ on FL380 and this occurs, I for eg. l suddenly lose 20-30kts , sometime also 100-200ft of altitude and now Im unable to reach FL380 again, while sitting in FL370-375 with IAS 200kts. Tried to manipulate trim down to pick up some speed, but after I gain speed arounf .74mach and try to climb again for FL380 it loses speed quickly and im on FL375 with 220 or 200kts, with no other option than to change cruise level FL370. After 10mins it suddenly gained enough speed to climb back to FL380 again. 

Any point of what was wrong here? Thanks

The issue us that METAR based weather engines have to interpolate data between stations. I've read some don't interpolate at all.

* If it does interpolate, depending on how much the winds changed from one station to another you might see sill wind speed or wind direction changes.

* If it doesn't interpolate, then it will just be horrific on most weather updates.

Complications of using METARs are:

1. Some locations have less airports than others and even then, not all have a station. The less stations, the less data there is for making a realistic winds. In Australia such whether was horrible.

2. There are sometimes errors in them that the software needs to cater for.

3. They are for point locations. So they really only cover a fairly small, though important area.

4. They are not updated that often from a general sim flying perspective.

All this makes using METARs difficult for general sim weather building. There is a reason ActiveSky (the leader in the field IMHO) took a lot of years for their product to do it fairly well.

The benefit of the MeteoBlue approach is it is based on physics and surface features. Not bad for an overall flight weather engine but poor for picking an airfields runway. For many of my airfields winds are almost always 90% off from the primary runway. That just isn't true in real life.

Ideally we would have a mix of both! It would be then, near perfect.

So, this is not an aircraft issue or a pilot issue. It is a simulation issue. At the moment you have to pick which system you want by its pros and cons.

• Developer

...and you need to watch your speed. If you fall behind the power curve which is easy happening if you you got ice build up but did not put AI on (despite Visual Only we proved it still happens). For any climb operation 250/0.74 is the minimum speed you need to have normal climb performance.

Archived