AddonsLinker?

RedAdirondack

Before I purchase, I'm familiarizing myself with the installation process so I don't mess things up. Manual 1-1-6 says "The downloaded file can be unpacked to any location on your system." I'm new to flight sims, and not a computer expert, so I would appreciate some clarity. Does 1-1-6 mean that I can install the CRJ on a different drive than MSFS is installed on, and use AddonsLinker to create a symbolic link in the MSFS Community folder?

Thank you for your help!

The downloaded file contains the installer, in the form of a .exe file and not in the usual folder format that you would simply copy into the Community folder. 

The installer can indeed by extracted to anywhere on your system, but when you run it, it automatically finds where your MSFS is installed and adds the necessary install files to the associated Community folder.

I don't use an addon linker, at least not yet, so I will leave it to someone who does to answer your question about using one to manage the CRJ files.

• Deputy Sheriffs

What has said before is absolutely true.

After the installation you can move the CRJ folder out from the MSFS Community folder to where every location you want on your system, and use a symbolic link in the Community folder to link to the new location. 

If you create such a symbolic link manually (mklink /J Link Target) or use any of the available MSFS AddOn Linker applications doesn't make a difference.

Thank you for your comments. I'll give this a try. I purchased the new JF Piper Arrow, and its install file did the same thing. I moved the folders it created in Community to my own linked folder, and the plane no longer worked. It absolutely wanted to be in the default Community folder. So I'll be confident in your suggestion with the CRJ.

• Deputy Sheriffs

I am absolutely sure that there was a fault in your symbolic link configuration that made the Piper Arrow not to work.

Not sure if you saw that already, but from the Windows Settings (Microsoft Store to me more precise) you are able to move the entire MSFS to another drive at any time. Guess what happens under the hood if you do that? The MSFS only know its default folder structure at the default location. But Windows is setting up symbolic links into the original MSFS location to the new location after all files have been move. So the MSFS still accesses the original location while the operating system diverts all accesses to the new location. 

So, if the entire MSFS can be moved freely around on your system, a subfolder in your Community folder can do as well. Taken the symbolic links are configured correctly.

Archived