CRJ 700 chases the Nav needle

I am flying Flightsims since FS3.0 and ATP.

I must say I am slowly loosing my patience.

I start a simbrief flight EHAM - LEBB. Nice and fancy with SID / Star etc etc.

Winds 230 ... Starting RNW 24 at EHAM according simbrief ( but I want cold and dark )

* First start Addon manager I select ONLY CRJ and LEBB freeware ( ONLY ) and close manager

* Then I need to load simbrief flight on website

* Use simbrief loader to get CRJ plan - MSFS plan - and a PDF

* Then start FS2020 ( waiting waiting on my SSD )

* Load the FS2020 simbrief flight plan 

* FS2020 MAP gives winds 330 at EHAM ( grrr real life is 230 ish )

* I want cold and dark so I select parking A43

* Magically initial RNW 24 is removed and starting point A43 is connected to runway 36L ( wrong winds on map does this )

* Startup CRJ

* not to forget to press all the enters and buttons on EFB several times otherwise W&B wrong

* Listen ATIS ..... JIHA ... winds are now suddenly correct ???

* Listen Clearance ... JIHA despite now winds correct runway to use is 36L ( due to wrong winds on MAP )

* I taxi to 24 off course and ignore ATC

* I take off ... ATC cancelled .. no worries 

* 1000FT .. NAV on / Speed on / AP on 

* Contact approach for new clearance.

* AP CUTTING CORNERS on route

* AP CHASING NEEDLES on route

* ILS LEBB

* as a bonus ...... AP does not hold glide slope ( to low ) ... so cancel AP .. and land manually.

* I watch my screen is disbelieve thinking " did I forget one step in this " fun" process ? "

I mean .. is this really happening with my hobby 🙂 

6 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Lets see what the new update brings. The reports on the ILS seem to suggest that is now fully fixed for all users. 

Has the new update been released yet? If not, can I assume it's due to be released shortly?

Thanks!

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Last reports are positive... Keep in mind we have to submit to Microsoft before we can release the update.

soooo i think some people explicitly asked the update process for CRJ bought at aerosoft ( instead of marketplace ).

Then something was said like “ we will distribute the minute it is ready for those customers “

so why the quoted remark ? 
you update an Aerosoft product right … what has Microsoft to do with that ( except marketplace releases )

I am a bit curious about the update process as well. If my memory is correct, Aerosoft previously said they wouldn't hold off on releasing updates until they're available in Microsoft's marketplace because they're unable to control the timing of the approval process. Hopefully Mathjis just means it's sent off to Microsoft for approval at the same time it's available to download through the Aerosoft Updater. Definitely looking forward to this update as I think it will fix the issues that keep me from flying online.

43 minutes ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed that was our intention. However this is not possible anymore, we can only release it on our store the moment it is available at Microsoft. Where the product is bought does not matter. 

Wow …. And it is not even a system limitation since you can CHOOSE to just upload the Aerosoft patch on your website with no issue at all. It is stand alone and no NEED to wait on Microsoft at all.

I would rather have bought on the market-store in that case … that was the whole intention of the PRE-RELEASE questions your customers had on where to buy.

This is really disappointing i must say. 

Had the same issue on a recent flight with the autopilot chasing the needle, which was coincidentally, pretty much North (LKKV - ESMX) with a strong crosswind of 50+ knots.

To all intents and purposes the auto pilot was simply over compensating for the wind, and turning too much into the wind too sharply, it would then turn back on track, realise there was a strong crosswind and repeat the sharp turn to try and compensate for the wind. I gave up on it after a few failed attempts and flew in manual heading mode.  If I got the manual heading mode slightly out, where there was still slight drift, and re-engaged the AP, the AP would start its wild over compensating moves. if I got the heading dead right manually and re-engaged the autopilot it flew on without a problem, until the next turn when the pattern would start again. 

Once I had descended to a lower altitude where the wind was not as strong the autopilot behaved normally

3 minutes ago, Blood_Monarch said:

Had the same issue on a recent flight with the autopilot chasing the needle, which was coincidentally, pretty much North (LKKV - ESMX) with a strong crosswind of 50+ knots.

It took a lot of experimenting, but we found a specific route in Australia where this situation could be duplicated at will, so Hans was able to fix it. The requirement to induce the problem was a course very close to due north (e.g. 001 or 002 degrees) and a crosswind coming from the left. 

After the fix, even with a 80 knot direct crosswind, the aircraft maintains its track perfectly, so this issue is definitely solved.

7 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

Indeed that was our intention. However this is not possible anymore, we can only release it on our store the moment it is available at Microsoft. Where the product is bought does not matter. 

That's unfortunate, but I trust that there's a good reason for this as I can't see any reason Aerosoft would want the update process to work this way. This does concern me though because I believe Microsoft has been pretty slow to make updates available in the marketplace for other aircraft (thinking of Carenado in particular).

Has there been any consideration of switching to an open beta model for your aircraft after the initial release? It's obvious why you wouldn't do that before launching a product, but if the release cycle is going to be longer, it would be nice to have as many people testing changes as you can get, provided they treat it appropriately as beta software with the anticipation that they may find some issues. I know I've really enjoyed learning how to fly the CRJ -- I would love to help get the remaining issues resolved so I can fly it on VATSIM without hesitation.

• Aerosoft
11 hours ago, DGH said:

Wow …. And it is not even a system limitation since you can CHOOSE to just upload the Aerosoft patch on your website with no issue at all. It is stand alone and no NEED to wait on Microsoft at all.

At the moment I shared the information I was not aware of the contractual obligations. They came as a surprise to me and that is 100% my mistake. Mea culpa.  Unfortunately an open beta model is also not allowed.  Only private beta programs are possible. 

As far as I am aware, and please correct me if I am wrong, this is the same contract as everybody signs if they release on the MS Store. 

4 hours ago, Mathijs Kok said:

At the moment I shared the information I was not aware of the contractual obligations. They came as a surprise to me and that is 100% my mistake. Mea culpa.  Unfortunately an open beta model is also not allowed.  Only private beta programs are possible. 

As far as I am aware, and please correct me if I am wrong, this is the same contract as everybody signs if they release on the MS Store. 

Fair enough, thumbs up for the transparency!

• 2 weeks later...

I fly CRJ700 from the day one and it is banking a lot while on autopilot. Today every flight and almost every turn for 15 hrs. Maybe this is related to simbrief import and large number of stars on route. I've notcied plane is trying to catch up hard. The plane i great but this bug + ILS approach are really killing the experience.

47 minutes ago, Bob Brodeur said:

Is the CRJ updated now after downloading Sim Update 4 or is there an additional patch to come that fixes the LNAV issues?

Updating to SU4 does not automatically update the CRJ. The update is ready, but it has not been released yet The update cannot be released until the Microsoft Store version is approved and posted. Once that happens, if you purchased the CRJ directly from Aerosoft, you will download the update from there. If you purchased from the MS Store, the update will come from that source.

Only Mathijs Kok is authorized to give the release time. I’m sure he will post a prominent message in the “Updates” section of the forum just as soon as he confirms that it can be released.

Archived