Charts and Maps for FsMap.

Shaun Fletcher

Hello Folks,

The aim of this thread is to build up a list of free maps that can be

obtained for use with FsMap from various locations in and around the Flight Sim world.

Or anywhere actually as long as they can be used.

This will then help others to find the maps and use them in the software.

What we would like is for you kind folks who have found these files to share the filenames of the maps

and where they can be obtained from and what area they cover.

Lets see how we progress over the next few weeks.

Who'll start the ball rolling!!

I have the ICAO VFR map for Denmark, wich I have scanned and calibrated myself, but I don´t know if there are any legal issues related by uploading it ?

Wothan

Hello Shaun

This is a good idea in principle. However, I would be amazed if anyone can come up with a source of free charts to match the depth and quality of the default. I certainly can't, and have been trying for quite some time.

Navigraph charts, for example, are quite good - they are not free but cost only a few pence but even these don't bear comparison with the default.

May I suggest an alternative approach. I wonder how many users would be prepared to pay for sets of charts from the same source as the default. Would it not be possible for Aerosoft to enter into a commercial arrangement with the publishers to produce sets covering other parts of Europe/ the US. I seem to remember that this was done by another organisation which developed a moving map program a year or so ago.

I have produced my own charts which are similar to the default but the source is not free and there are some issues with the projection. I would, however, be perfectly happy to buy from Aerosoft charts sets for Europe if these could be made available.

Bern

Have to agree with Bern on this one as I cannot find any Sectionals for the UK or other parts of Europe FREE, whereas, Avsim have the complete USA Sectionals by Matt Fox which are free. (Although now out of date)

The cheapest UK Sectionals I can find are about £12 to £15 each (paper) which you would then have to disect to scanner size then join them together again after scanning in Paintshop etc. Cumbersome or what.

There is also UK Sectionals on CD/DVD for £65 and there are 3 area's you need to purchase. This being the case there must be someone that can be approached to obtain out of date charts (Just as good as new ones I would have thought).

Just as a final thought though on this, how did Matt obtain authorisation to use these as freebies :?: :?:

Several years ago I had a friend who contacted an Air Force Base here in the US and was able to get a complete set of US charts, VFR and IFR charts, approach plates, etc for free. They destroy them when they go out of date and as long as they were NOT for real world flight, they had no problems. It took a while to get to the right person but it might be worth a try outside of the US. I'd look for a source that uses them and must keep them up to date. Some airlines might be a place to look also.

I've been looking at some of the Vatsim sites but the charts are huge and in pdf format. Been playing around with different converters but haven't found anything that retains the clarity of the originals, ie Milano area chart is 30M!

Vic

I go to http://finiteloop.org/~btaylor/maps/ which gives you Google maps full screen. Use the sniping tool in Vista to save the screen area as a jpeg and use this as a map. You don't get lat and long, but you can zoom into airports and use the FSX database to calibrate it. Anyone tried this as well?

Regards

John

Mmmm proposal to Aerosoft staff : I believe, this thread is being abused - it shouldn't turn into a discussion, but used only to post links to maps.

Perhaps the discussion could get split off or something?

Thanks! :D

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.aeroplanner.com/tools/dlsimchar...?tab=sectionalsSelling 50 areas - which equates to the entire stats, and includes a large variety of charts that ook like being in a form that can be used in FSMap.

They are in the NOS/GEO format....??

Cost is around $50 US - not bad for the entire country. They are out of date though.

Individual areas can be purchased along with up to date one's.

In fact they offer a range of products although the pricing systems appears a little complicated. Support is good though and they get back to you quickly.

Unfortunately they have no UK charts........ :(

I actually went GULP and bought that $50 simchart pack from them. Thomas is working on a converter for the nos/geo format and it works just fine on the charts.

Lots of available charts, one dollar each in the bundle, and there are IFR and VFR charts available.

There is an ONC E1 chart available there that covers the UK, too.

cheers,

steve :)

I would be a bit careful with charts in Nos/Geo format. I have a complete set to cover all of Europe, including the UK, which I used with the old FSMax program. I've got them converted for use in FSM. They are pre calibrated but for use in FSMax and these calibrations do not work in FSM.

The first job is to remove all calib. points - a lot of them! I've then tried to calibrate for FSM and I have to say I'm finding it difficult to get them 'spot on'. I've tried a number of different methods but with only partial success.

Bern

Hi

Couple of things, firstly these are payware, copyrighted charts so not really available for sharing. Secondly as things stand at present, I don't think that the Nos/Geo format is 100% suitable for FSMap.

Bern

So, to conclude, fsmap is only as good as the default mapping included in the package.

Have to disagree with your perception of this as I have (along with numerous others) hundreds of maps installed. Locating free maps is one thing and once you get them is getting the hang of calibrating them. You can add any map you want as long as FSMap supports it or if not can the map be converted into tiff, jpg, bmp etc etc..... so that it can.

• Aerosoft
So, to conclude, fsmap is only as good as the default mapping included in the package.

Even if that would be true (and it is certainly not, I know users who have over 750 maps imported), that would be pretty good. Remember it covers 5 countries, with fully licensed, up to date charts. If we were not able to add some other countries it is because licenses were either prohibitively expensive or that we did not expect a lot of customers from those countries.

I don't believe we should be fixated on the need for free charts particularly given the extensive coverage available as default. It is possible, for example, to get charts from Navigraph, which are very good and easily calibrated for FSM and these cost, literally, a couple of pence per chart. A very small price to pay.

As I've said before, I would be more than willing to pay for more charts of the same quality as the default, if it was possible to obtain additional licences at reasonable cost.

Bern

Hi

You can find Swedish Charts/maps here.

http://www.lfv.se/templates/LFV_InfoSida_70_30____37002.aspx

BUT.... my problem is to get them into FSMaps as they are in .PDF format.

I had to scan them and save them as .jpg files to get them into FSMap.

BUT.. as I am a TOTAL idot with the program I can't seem to calibrate the maps nor can I get the AD Charts from FSMaps into FSX!!!

I Probably have to start a newthred on this in the FSMap forum.

Jack J Jackson

A Swede in Spain